PDA

View Full Version : .ma importer or standalone importer?

cresshead
04-18-2008, 05:53 AM
.ma importer or standalone importer?

is there any plugins or stand alone conversion apps that can read a maya ascii .ma file other than maya itself?
i've tried object converter it does a huge list of file types but strangely NOT maya ascii....

i know that *odo used to other than that now defunct feature in *odo, i can't seem to find an app or plugin that can do this...

thanks in advance!

Red_Oddity
04-18-2008, 06:17 AM
That's because .ma files can contain histories / undo stacks on objects, meaning you need Maya to actually generate the geometry that gets spit out of the last part of the history stack.
The only converter that would be able to do that would actually be a plugin that contains the entire mesh deformation and creating part of Maya and every Maya plugin that is tied into that.

The only way to import .ma directly into another program is by making sure the history has been deleted (and maybe even the transforms frozen).
Other wise i say use .obj files, or EF9's PointOven (it has a .lwo saver)

cresshead
04-18-2008, 06:52 AM
so given that a workable .ma file in another need to have it's transforms etc frozen is there any .ma impoters?

other than modo which doen't do it anymore?

and other than translators that need a full version of maya running as a live plugin converter?

pixelranger
04-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Point Oven is the way to go. Definately! It spits out a scene file (psc or lws) and lwos and mdd files for the lwo's. It also exports camera and lights.

But to answer your question, After Effects is the only standalone app I know
(besides translators like polytrans) that reads .ma files natively. Off course, that's not what you are looking for but nevertheless... :)

Red_Oddity
04-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Polytrans needs an add-on pack to read .ma files as far as i remember, or the Polytran-for-Maya plugin for use of Polytrans from within Maya.