PDA

View Full Version : Teapot from hell

Tony3d
04-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi Guys I need help with this one. I have to reproduce this teapot. The people I'm doing this for said they will supply the texture maps for the lid, and sides. So this is my first dilemma. I'm not sure hoe to get the designs on the side of the teapot. There are two separate designs, one for each side. I am very new to UV mapping, and I'm sure that's how it will have to be done. Keep in mind this with be an animation, just a simple 360 degree rotation. I have the basic pot modeled so far the lid body and spout. The other problem I'm going to have is the knobby look to the handle, and spout. Can this be done with bump or displacement maps? I haven't actually taken the job yet, but I sure could use it. I would have 2 weeks to finish it, and like I said the basic model is nearly complete. Any help would be greatly appreaciated, but I will probably need step by step instructions. Thanks for your time....Tony

Tony3d
04-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi Guys I need help with this one. I have to reproduce this teapot. The people I'm doing this for said they will supply the texture maps for the lid, and sides. So this is my first dilemma. I'm not sure hoe to get the designs on the side of the teapot. There are two separate designs, one for each side. I am very new to UV mapping, and I'm sure that's how it will have to be done. Keep in mind this with be an animation, just a simple 360 degree rotation. I have the basic pot modeled so far the lid body and spout. The other problem I'm going to have is the knobby look to the handle, and spout. Can this be done with bump or displacement maps? I haven't actually taken the job yet, but I sure could use it. I would have 2 weeks to finish it, and like I said the basic model is nearly complete. Any help would be greatly appreaciated, but I will probably need step by step instructions. Thanks for your time....Tony

Sorry here's the images.

Chilton
04-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi Tony,

I think this should be a pretty easy one for you to do. We have a ton of video tutorials here:
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/videos/index.php

And a few of those cover UV maps.

-Chilton

Tony3d
04-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Chilton, I really have not done a whole lot with UV maps, What I'm not sure of is since there is a different image on each side of the teapot, how do you define what polys get mapped? The design is kinda round just not sure how to do this. I really can't believe I have been doing this all these years, and can't figure this out. If you look at my site one would sure think this would be a piece of cake. Maybe I better start looking for another profession.

bjornkn
04-17-2008, 05:32 PM
You could make 2 planar UV maps - one for the left and one for the right side?
(And one for the lid?)
Make new empty UV maps, select the polys on one side and "Make UVs" for them. Do the same with the second UV map and the other side.
Or you could also make them all on a single UV map and make sure the 2 sides don't overlap.
Use Alpha.

gerry_g
04-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Do a lot of this stuff and there is no denying a good pelt tool is a must for the tricky parts but the lid and the main pot are very easy to do do with lightwaves basic UV tools, orientate the pot handle to minus X as this is the unwrap point and the best place to hide the UV seam. Don't try to do the whole lot in one go you'll get in a mess, partially UV the bits you want one at a time by making polygon selections of them

Tony3d
04-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Well, here's my first attempt at it. I don't have the actual artwork yet so I just put in placeholders. Any suggestions? It's difficult working off these small images.

bjornkn
04-18-2008, 03:39 AM
Here's a quick test using 2 planar UV maps, left and right.
With two very quick (and different methods - to easily see that the two sides are different) textures grabbed from your tiny jpgs (I hate masking jpgs ;) with Alpha.