PDA

View Full Version : Help with codecs (divx) & 9.3

peabuddy
04-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi there,
Iv'e just installed the latest version of Divx pro, and when I set to render any scene, I get an error message: Cannot Set Stream Format. What is this error??
I upgraded to 6.8.2 from previous version of Divx and now w/ every codec besides Cinepak I get the same error no matter which scene is set to render?:stumped:

I am using Win XP x86 sp2
LW9.3
Divx Pro 6.8.2

if there is some one who could help, I would appreciate it very much :)

Also if you need more info on scene settings letme know

Peabuddy

Bytehawk
04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
don't save to avi straight
first render to an image sequence (png for instance)
then compile the images in an avi

3 advantages :
- if your render crashes your system halfway through you don't have to re-render the whole sequence
- you can do post color correction and other post effects on it
- you can tweak the divx encoder settings to your taste without re-rendering the sequence

peabuddy
04-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Thank you!
Those are very interesting points you make. This sounds like a more secure and stable way of doing things. I will start implementing it.

Though, I'm still a little perplexed as to why for months I have been able to render straight to .avi with the older version of divx and now that I installed new version most all codecs are on the fritz???

peabuddy
04-17-2008, 07:19 PM
repost edit remove

meatycheesyboy
04-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Easy fix, when you set your codec go into the options for the codec and make sure it is set to Single Pass. Likely it defaults to 2 pass rendering and that will give you the error. Two pass renders the avi twice, once as it normally would during single pass then again to optimize the compression. It's great if you need something to be a specific size (like a DVD backup) but alot of programs don't know what to do with it (like Lightwave).

If that's not it then I'll eat my shoe. <- ok, that's a lie, but if that's not it then I am all out of solutions.

peabuddy
04-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Welp, I hope you have some tasty sneakers, or some loafers. I set everything to default and made sure it was on single (1) pass. Unfortunately it still gave me the same error. :(

Before I go ahead and reinstall Lightwave, does anyone else have some suggestions?:question: (not that I didn't appreciate your reply meatycheesyboy)

Bytehawk
04-19-2008, 01:15 AM
reinstalling lw won't help
afaik it doesn't mess with codecs or anything similar

meatycheesyboy
04-19-2008, 01:18 AM
Darn, I was positive I had it right since I can make the error appear by setting it to 2 pass then make it go away by setting it to 1 pass.

What seasonings go well with Adidas Sambas?