PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre loss of captured files

eracer
04-17-2008, 09:58 AM
A customer running VT5 has an unusual problem. He spoke with Tech Support about it and they were baffled as to what the possible cause might be.

He can save .RTV files using the "Capture" module, use them in a timeline, shut the machine down, come back, and the clip data on the timeline is fine. The files are in the folder on the hard drive where they were first captured to.

If he uses "Batch Capture" to record the clips to a folder on the hard drive, and puts them in a timeline, they play fine, the clips appear in the folder, and there are no problems - until he shuts down and restarts the computer. Then the picons on the timeline are red, and the files they refer to are missing from the hard drive. A search fails to find them anywhere.

He is capturing to a local drive, and there appears to be no problem with the drive. Write-caching is on for all drives in the RAID-0 array. But he shuts the computer down properly, and never shuts the drive down.

Anyone else use batch capture and experience this? Any ideas what could cause files to disappear from a hard drive?

I'm very puzzled.

SBowie
04-17-2008, 10:50 AM
something funky alright. The first place I'd look would be at the path he's using for batch capture ... maybe something odd about it?

eracer
04-17-2008, 11:12 AM
something funky alright. The first place I'd look would be at the path he's using for batch capture ... maybe something odd about it?I thought of that. But he can playback the captured files all day long, so long as he doesn't shut down the computer. Then the files mysteriously vanish from the drive.

UnCommonGrafx
04-17-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't have an answer but have a question:
What's being used to batch capture with?

On what's going wrong, I would speculate that for whatever reason, VT5 may think that these are, somehow/someway, it's own cache files and is deleting them on exit as it does the cache. Some where, he's hitting where the logic goes awry.

SBowie
04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
But he can playback the captured files all day long, so long as he doesn't shut down the computer.But can he find them on the drive, see them in Windows file explorer .. where he expects them to be? (Maybe they are being saved to Temp or some such weirdness.)

eracer
04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
But can he find them on the drive, see them in Windows file explorer .. where he expects them to be? (Maybe they are being saved to Temp or some such weirdness.)I'll ask him, but I remember him saying that he could see the files (using Explorer) in the folder in which he originally saved them.

Jim_C
04-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Does this happen if he shuts down VT5 only? The restarts it...

What happens if he moves them to a different folder after capturing but before working with them?

batch capture
shut down vt5
move files to a different folder
start vt5
work
shut down pc

Just trying to narrow down if it is VT5 deleting them and when.

eracer
04-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Update:

Moving or copying the files to a new folder fixes the problem.

Exiting VT5 does not cause the problem. It's only when the computer is restarted that it occurs.

The customer had been clicking "No" when asked whether he wanted to save the Batch Capture Project file. If he clicks "Yes", and saves the file, the problem does not occur, and the captured files can be located in the original save folder, even after computer restart.

Is this considered a bug? Should the captured files be written (and remain accessible) in the original folder, even if the batch project file is not saved? Or is that simply part of the VT5 batch capture procedure?

Thanks for all the great help on this one.

eracer
04-28-2008, 03:12 PM
New update. Customer now reports that saving the batch file does NOT solve the problem. Furthermore, the captured files are visible to Explorer in the target folder, and remain there until the computer is restarted, at which point they "sometimes" disappear.

I've asked him to run some tests using "Capture" (to see if the problem is not specific to Batch Capture).

Also to capture to the C: drive (to eliminate any possibility that's it's a write-cache error on one of the drives in the external array.

Personally, I've never heard of a write-cache problem occurring on a drive that didn't either:

A. Result in data loss when the drive is shut down (this array is never shut down).

B. Result in an error message explicitly stating that a write-cache error occurred.

So I don't think that's the problem. But it's worth eliminating possibilities.

BizZack
10-28-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm experiencing the same clip loss issue. It is only the last clip captured that gets erased any time I quit VT5. If I double-capture the last clip then it erases the duplicate. It wasn't doing this for a week or two and now it is. Our other edit suite wasn't doing this until we moved it from one office into ours. The other suite is not on a network, so it is not some weird coding bug related to networking in case the thought popped into mind. It definitely is a bug though.