PDA

View Full Version : Linking values across surfaces

starbase1
04-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Hello All,
Is there a way to keep nodal surfaces in step?

I have a set of matching surfaces, (actually different parts of my model Earth), and what I would really like is to have one place to set a value that will affect them all - for example, so I can keep the specularity of all the different oceans in step to avoid a nasty sudden shift when they meet.

I suppose I am thinking of something like a single constant value node that can feed into multiple surfaces, or some equivalent.

Any ideas?

UnCommonGrafx
04-17-2008, 04:38 AM
The only global tool one can use in the present nodal system is the trusty old Null.
Let a null drive your values.

starbase1
04-17-2008, 05:11 AM
The only global tool one can use in the present nodal system is the trusty old Null.
Let a null drive your values.

Yeah, I considered that, but it would drive me back to the bad old days of messing around with load from scene, and I really don't want to go back there.

Thanks for the input,
Nick

Pomfried
04-17-2008, 06:03 AM
If you don't mind using third party nodes, then you could try the Store and Get Material nodes in my node pack. Well, they're a bit hackish, so I don't know if there might be some drawbacks ;)
Just try them out,but make sure you have backup copies of your model/surface (just in case).