PDA

View Full Version : TriCaster outputing to DVD solutions

DiscreetFX
04-16-2008, 05:08 PM
What method is everyone using to output TriCaster productions to DVD? There are several ways to do this, just wondering what is the highest quality and or quickest method.

SportsJunkie
04-16-2008, 06:32 PM
I shoot live sporting events. Turn-around time is critical. I output to a distribution amp and drive multiple DVD recorders simultaneously. At the end of the game, I give an original to the coach and keep one to replicate the next day. Obviously, I record to the hard drive of the TC too. I used to also record to tape, but all the gear was too much trouble and too heavy. (Once folks realize that pro bono means "no pay", it increasingly becomes difficult to get people to volunteer.) BTW, I also use a Lightscribe DVD burner to prerecord the label of the DVD before going to the game. Makes a nice looking DVD.

Kurt_Henning
04-16-2008, 07:59 PM
I am testing RocketDVD from Digital Media Applications.

It is pretty interesting software.

There website is www.dmapp.com

I have no affiliation, and I am testing it for realtime DVD solutions for a client.

The goal is to add song titles to the DVD menus from live performances. It seems like it will work, but we have not done a real world test.

hqv
04-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Sony DVDirect is the quickest method - plugs into the svid and audio ports of the tricaster. LCD for monitoring. No encoding or rendering.
Pop in a blank dvd, select input, format and hit the record button. Around $200 bucks.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?cmsId=content/Computers/DiscBurners/DVDDirect/index&hideHeaderFooter=false&storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&XID=O:sony%20directdvd:corp_dvdirect_gglsrch

ted
04-18-2008, 12:53 AM
I agree that the fastest way is to record directly on a stand alone DVD Recorder. We use a 2 year old Sony, but there are lots of options.
The only downside is you get that basic looking menu, but as soon as it finalizes you can pass it off. Besides, how much time do people spend watching the menu? :D

SportsJunkie
04-18-2008, 09:35 PM
From experience, when using the Sony DVDirect in the field, only purchase high quality media. With cheap media, sometimes the DVD's will not "finalize" PITA!!! Not a bad idea to purchase two of these burners.
Here's a good FAQ:
http://www.supermediastore.com/dvdmediafaq.html

ted
04-19-2008, 12:08 AM
only purchase high quality media.
Good point. But not just with Sony decks.
There's nothing more frustrating than finding out the DVD is only good for a coaster after spending all that time recording and finalizing.
Plus there is a higher chance of cheap DVD's playing back on the deck they are recorded on but not on your clients player.
There isn't any amount of money worth those headaches.