PDA

View Full Version : adding edges problems

rouge
04-16-2008, 04:35 PM
hi i'm box modeling a head where i have to add some geometry and i use add edges a lot but now i'm at a point where i get this message «Failed to build the solid structure please unify or hide duplicate polygons» i don't understand because i have no ngons left just a few tris to fix is that the problem or what i'm i missing

Help

goal

RudySchneider
04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Sounds to me like Modeler thinks you have more than one polygon ocupying the same space. It's happened to me...

rakker16mm
04-16-2008, 04:49 PM
I am just guessing and hopefully some with more experience has a more definite answer for you, but from the error description it sounds like you may have some duplicate polygons vertices resting on top of identical geometry. Try lassoing some points or polygons while viewing your model in wire mesh mode. Then see if you have the expected number of items selected.

I hope that helps and wish I could offer you more, but it's my best guess.

Surrealist.
04-16-2008, 07:24 PM
hi i'm box modeling a head where i have to add some geometry and i use add edges a lot but now i'm at a point where i get this message «Failed to build the solid structure please unify or hide duplicate polygons» i don't understand because i have no ngons left just a few tris to fix is that the problem or what i'm i missing

Help

goal

Yeah you can try and unify. Sometimes that just does not work. You will also get this message if you have a point selected and try and use Add Edges.

What I usually do when I get this message is undo my last operation and see if it does not fix the problem.

If that does not work, I systematically select portions of the model and try to narrow down the place where I get the error message. When I have that down to a few polygons I go in and look for duplicate points or whatever. Sometimes it just means deleting and rebuilding a polygon and you are good to go.

rouge
04-17-2008, 05:10 AM
thanks guys

i found the problem on my model and it was an overlapping poly.

goal