PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max 2009 Design?? WTF have they done?

lardbros
04-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey peeps,

This is not only a thread to talk about the new 3ds 2009 fiasco, but also cjeer at the fact that LW will have some time to catch up.

We have just received the new update in our office, and much to our surprise (sarcasm) they have done naff all, YET AGAIN.

For a full point release there is hardly anything there worthy of note. (Well, one thing, the composite materials are nice now, but where is nodal?)

The reveal render thing is a complete gimmick. They talked about it as if it was some f-prime type thing, but truly, we have nothing to worry about from thr 3dsmax side of things. I have not been impressed so far. Small bugs like multi-sub object materials disappearing in the viewport, when wireframe is turned off, has been fixed, but otherwise, this is a poor show. They have made some shaders for the architectural people to easily add water and brick and plastics to their renders, but many of these are too simple to be used, and also render pretty darn slowly, even compared to the arch design materials. The arch design ones do pretty much everything needed anyway.

Makes me wonder what autodesk are planning?

I reckon 3dsVIZ will be discontinued, they are offering a 65% off on a crossgrade to 3dsMAX design. Then 3dsMAX will be turned from the split they have made into JUST the design package for architects etc. Then Maya will be crowned king of all character animation. Just my guess, but 3dsMAX is being radically simplified on the surface. yes all the main functionality is still there, but it's just not looking good!

Chris S. (Fez)
04-16-2008, 03:23 PM
:agree:

Lightwave 9.5 is looking better and better...

Mental Ray Proxies and multi-threaded hair are pretty awesome. The new Render Elements are great for compositing. I also like the accessible LOD/GI cache/raytracing settings in Reveal. Composite Map at long last gives us something akin to Lightwave surfacing and it is visible in the viewport.

I think 2009 is a respectable release for folks on subscription but it is definitely not the sort of upgrade that is going to win new seats.

lardbros
04-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I think 2009 is a respectable release for folks on subscription but it is definitely not the sort of upgrade that is going to win new seats.

But when was the last release of max that a user would have thought? "Ah, now is the time to upgrade" The last few releases have been riddled with odd bugs that have stopped me in my tracks. Only to find workarounds etc.

Does texture baking with mental ray now include blend maps or shellac materials?? Nope, i doubt it! Why cant they make things simple, and use the ACTUAL renderer to deal with texture baking rather than the complicated and very messy way it is now?

Chris S. (Fez)
04-16-2008, 07:21 PM
But when was the last release of max that a user would have thought? "Ah, now is the time to upgrade" .

Viewport speed in 2008 alone is worth the upgrade to me, but that is just because I use Max every day. But 2009? I've only just started testing, but I am not yet convinced the release is worth breaking your present pipeline (plugins need to be recompiled for 2009).

No doubt, Max development has been dissapointing. The lack of true isoline subds and mesh-embedded morphs is downright infuriating... which is why I so often turn to :lwicon:.

Anti-Distinctly
04-17-2008, 03:45 AM
Having fun there Tim? :D
Just convince them to move over to LW...somehow.

lardbros
04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Having fun there Tim? :D
Just convince them to move over to LW...somehow.

Haha, oh yeah!!

The work is good, but the software is poo... it gets me down having to use max. A few others at work use whatever tool they need to get the job done... i.e sketchup/blender etc, just my team leader is intent on using one solution for everything, mainly because that's all he knows! Ah well!

Mitja
04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Anyone here knows if the DWG importer has been improved from max9? It has strange behavior when importing curved solids (could anyone tell me how to import correctly with max9...)

Anti-Distinctly
04-17-2008, 01:41 PM
A few others at work use whatever tool they need to get the job done... i.e sketchup/blender etc

Seriously? Someone out there uses Blender?!

Lewis
04-17-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm not too much in MAX (work on it when i must (at work)) but I've test drived 2009 few times and i really liek that new icon(s) on viewport for all kind of navigation, especially "home" button since I've lost my orientation in MAX many times due different commands for Pan/Zoom/Rotate than in LW :D :D.

And one of best OLD things for me in MAX is Targeting lights/cameras with that simple small widget ON/OFF it's great for targeting Spot or Photometric lights exactly to poisition where you need/want them with metered distance.

lardbros
04-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Anyone here knows if the DWG importer has been improved from max9? It has strange behavior when importing curved solids (could anyone tell me how to import correctly with max9...)

Apparently they've done some stuff to it, but not sure of all the details.

Gotta say, those new widget things don't do anything for me, they seem more of a gimmick than anything