PDA

View Full Version : What setting to use for Theater animation?

jpleonard
04-15-2008, 07:41 PM
I am about to start on a trailer for use in movie theaters. This is my first project like this and I have a couple of questions that I am hoping the experts around here can help me with.

What resolution would I need to render out to for use on a standard theater screen?

Do I need to use the field rendering option?

Is there a standard for movie screen such as PAL or NTSC?

Any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

:help::help::help::help:

crashnburn
04-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Generally cinema resolution would be 2k or 4k (2048 or 4096 lines). The frame rate is 24 frames a second and as each frame is the full image no field rendering would be needed.

jpleonard
04-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks..That's sort of what I was thinking 2K, 3K, or 4K, I just wanted to make sure. I had no clue about the field rendering, I guess that's just for tv broadcast? Anyhow thanks for the input, I'm sure it will be helpful. If I wanted the best image I suppose I really should go with the 4K setting.

serge
04-16-2008, 05:32 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but why is it necessary to have 24 fps? I know this used to be the standard, but can't movie theater projectors these days handle other frame rates than that?

Steamthrower
04-16-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm not sure about the technical aspect of it, but visually, 24 fps has that sort of rough "stutter" that looks really good to a lot of people.

jpleonard
04-16-2008, 09:25 AM
This thread is also running in the general support area. I wonder if I could stop or delete this thread, or perhaps combine the two.