PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of using Lightwave, but have some questions

CrazyGuy
04-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting Lightwave. Had a little dabble in it some years ago.

I want to know how it is on OS X? The System Requirement page (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/system_requirements/) says it requires 10.3 Panther. Made me chuckle at first, as that's 2 generations ago (OS X Tiger & Leopard have been out since). Then I start to worry, as if I purchase a new Mac Pro, and a new version of Lightwave, the computer will come with Leopard installed, and Lightwave is not certified to run on it.

How good is the particle system these days in Lightwave? Is it stable and usable?

What about network rendering? Is Screamernet still a command-line thing? Does anyone use it? Does it work across a network of Intel and PPC Macs? Is it easy to use?

What about the dongle? What if I want to use Lightwave with a desktop and a laptop, and one is Intel and the other PPC? Can the dongle move between them?

Chilton
04-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi,

I can answer the technical questions. I can answer the subjective ones too, but I might be biased :devil:

That page is right, and wrong. Our UB version runs on Tiger and Leopard only. It *does* run in Panther, or so I hear, but it's unsupported there. I've never tried it, personally.

Now, we actually *do* still support (as in, new features actually show up in) our old-timey CodeWarrior based CFM version. Why? Because some of our end users rely on plug-ins that were written ages ago, and which might not make it all the way to modern times. That changes soon, but currently we do support it, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it runs in Panther. It might even run on older systems. I doubt it would work in OS9 though.

As far as I know, NewTek is the only company on the planet that still does this.

But going forward, it's Tiger and Leopard. LightWave UB was running on Leopard less than 2 hours after Leopard was seeded to developers at WWDC in 2006. The UB was officially released to the public last fall though, as 9.3.1.

Technically, there is no certification process for applications running on any Apple hardware, that I know of. But if there was, I'm pretty sure we could get certified.

The particle system in 9.3.1 is incredible. In fact, it's the best one anywhere, and will always be the best one, because of how awesome it is. And it's really easy to use, you just think about it, and it happens, as if by magic. At least, that's how it appears to work to me, when I see our end users fiddling with it. Your mileage may vary. I'm sure that if I'm wrong, someone will point it out soon.

ScreamerNet was originally a CodeWarrior based half-way commandline thing. It became a 'real' commandline app sometime in the 9.x series, specifically to simplify network rendering via network rendering controllers, and it remains as such today. This means you can install it on a server farm, and remote login to each machine and set them up via SSH. We might simplify configuration of it at a later date, but we will likely keep ScreamerNet a commandline app.

The dongle can be used on any Mac that will run LightWave, G4 through Intel Mac Pro, and can easily move between them.

And this forum (thanks to its users), is the best forum on the Internet.

-Chilton

CrazyGuy
04-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Chilton, for that useful information. It's good to know about the new particle system runs well, and that Lightwave is OK with Leopard. Much appriciated.

Chilton
04-15-2008, 07:37 PM
I should point out that I do not get a chance to use the particle system myself. But in the hands of some of our users, I've seen some really awesome stuff.

-Chilton

Scazzino
04-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Hi Crazy Guy,

I'm running LW on an 8-core MacPro in Leopard and it's working fine.

As for ScreamerNet, the UB is a command line app that you launch from terminal, and here's a little utility I wrote, DLI_SNUB-Launcher (http://dreamlight.com/webshop/utilities/snublauncher.html), to make setting it up a snap with a simple drag-and-drop interface...

:D

Scazzino
04-16-2008, 02:34 PM
...Does it work across a network of Intel and PPC Macs?...

Only if you use a third-party render controller, like ScreamerNet Controller for Mac OS X (http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet/), which can handle remapping the output paths between the Intel and PPC formats...

CrazyGuy
04-21-2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks, Scazzino, for your information. That render controller looks very useful.