PDA

View Full Version : which fbx importer for ligthwave 9?

cresshead
04-15-2008, 11:30 AM
hi my lightwave 7.5 install died with my old dell pc so now that i want to import an fbx file all i have installed is lightwave 9.3 etc so what's the reccomended fbx importer for lightwave 9.*?

any links to the best version would be neat as i know there are some issues with various versions of fbx importers...

cheers!

stee+cats

cresshead
04-15-2008, 11:37 AM
ahhh...me feel sorta dumbo now!
...will boot up that wip app!...don't want to beta this thread to death!

colkai
04-15-2008, 12:48 PM
If'n you is a wantin' merge, you have to stick to the older FBX plugin fxblw80.p

cresshead
04-15-2008, 01:02 PM
thanks for the info

no i'm trying to import xsi scenes into lightwave...one of our modelers is using xsi on venus rises but he's struggling with good renders with xsi so we need to brign it into an app that can knockout quality space scenes with ease...they're pretty heavy..around 500,000 polys for the ships

so far i've moved a couple of xsi scenes over to my 3dsmax with crosstalk but our director uses lightwave and want's to have a play too!

i see the 9.x beta has fbx listed so i'll throw that up an have a go later on.

Kryos
04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Why not use Point oven to export from XSI and then you don't have to worry about FBX at all. Just a question as point oven will allow you to export to LW formats.

cresshead
04-15-2008, 02:32 PM
yeah i tried point oven but it's pretty crap for moving large rigged scenes...only bits came in and mirrored or instanced objects were not to be found at all...

maybe i was using it wrong but it didn''t deliver the whole scene whereas crosswalk for 3dsmax 'just worked'...push a button and blammo...done!

Kryos
04-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Ah okay. Sometimes other companies just don't support LW enough unfortunately. :(

Intuition
04-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey Cress, sometimes I had to use the FBX converter to downgrade the fbx files down to 5.0ish to get LW to load them.

9.5 loads stuff now pretty well though. Although I haven't seen a fully rigged character come from XSI into LW. Too many parameters that are different to be the same. FBX works pretty well but the camera data is off alot due to camera targets and what not. Point oven does at least get the cameras right. Sometimes I do a scene merge with both PO and FBX imports to get all I need.

The Dommo
04-16-2008, 10:43 AM
maybe when 9.5 is out, this is something we can test out as a group? I mean on either non-commercial models or done with Non-disclosure agreements?

LW_Will
04-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Hey... you need to bake the motion in XSI and then export as .MMD files before you import and render.

you're not intending to do any more modeling or animation in LW are you?

Vettcross
04-22-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey all-
Stoopid question but where can I locate the FXBLW80.p plugin?

THX

Tzan
04-22-2009, 12:25 PM
If you have LW 9.6 there is a plugin named:

Valkyrie.p

It has FBX and Collada import/export.
Not sure if this fixes peoples problems or not. The FBX exporter worked fine for getting some basic models into Unity 2.5 win.