PDA

View Full Version : how would you unwrap a paperclip (animation)

rdolishny
04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
That says it all. I need a cable to start in a wrapped configuration like a paperclip then end pretty much straight (curved a bit).

Morph targets aren't quite doing it. The motion is too linear.

I'm thinking bones but the paperclip shape has to be pretty exact.

Thoughts?

What's the best way to bone a string ... lots and lots of bones?

- Rick

RebelHill
04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
TWhat's the best way to bone a string ... lots and lots of bones?

Preety much, yes.... u might also find the plg_curve bone plugin comes in useful in a sitch such as this for giving u effective spline IK.

Dennik
04-15-2008, 09:30 AM
You need lots of bones only if you have many sections on the curved part. Thats because with the default settings, your bones would create sharp joints on your mesh.
Otherwise you could get away with very few bones, given that you use subpatches of course.
I would advise you to rig your paperclip object on the straight pose and animate backwards to that pose.

markschum
04-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Depending on what you need to do with the paperclip you could simply set up multiple models each at different stages of bending and render each , combine the single frames as an animation .

Bytehawk
04-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Couldn't you just do the morph in stages,
bent -> half bent -> straight

rdolishny
04-17-2008, 06:04 PM
No.

Bending it in modeler is a bugger. Plus the morph just wasn't smooth. I got better results with a 'thousand' bones. I'll post anim when the client signs off.

Jim M
04-17-2008, 07:03 PM
There are non linear morph plugins... check on flay.

WilliamVaughan
04-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Bones would be the easiest way IMHO...would give you the most control and would be easy to setup and animate