PDA

View Full Version : Displacing particles - how?

Dirk
04-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Is it possible to use a displacement map on moving particles?

I want to move particles along the surface of a displaced ground plane. With this, it would be possible to use FX_Linker to attach objects (characters) to those particles, which would move on the surface, without the need to calculate the particle movement.

prometheus
04-15-2008, 05:05 AM
Hmm..tricky question.

of course displacement maps can be used in some places for the particles, such as birthrate and in velocity vectors, But...I donīt think you can get it to match the terrain as you want in proper way with just displacement.
Donīt know for sure..perhaps dp nodes has something but for all the particles..hmm?

anyway if you are using fx linker to replace particles with objects moving?
Try using dynamic fx linker instead it will probably give you better control
afterwards with controling different sizes and rotation in the particle size tab.
You have to calculate anyhow to get the particles move along the
surface proparly.

Dirk
04-15-2008, 07:18 AM
It's possible, figured out how to do that yesterday: make the emitter also a collision object and give it a super-sticky surface (like friction 10.000, bind force 10.000, etc.) This works also when the emitter object is morphed, which is very handy. Now, that's no "real" displacement, but the effect is the same and calculation is pretty fast.

But I have another problem now: I want to use heading and pitching of the "displaced" particles with FX_Linker. This works in general, but the motion is too jagged. Now, since I can use "clone hierarchy" on an object with FX_Linker, I would like to clone a null with the desired object as a child, but I need a method to smooth the childs motion / rotation.