PDA

View Full Version : Rendering across multiple machines.

Irrelevant
04-14-2008, 03:04 PM
How does one render one animation across multiple machines(I know there is a name for this but I cant think of it)

markschum
04-14-2008, 04:00 PM
network rendering. In the help from Lightwave (F1) there is a subject Distributed Rendering: Introduction that explains it (screamernet)

There are some things to know about it if using particles but thats covered in that section.

clintonman
04-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Also check out this sticky for tutorials.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26572

Surrealist.
04-14-2008, 07:34 PM
It is called "screamer" because back in the mid 90's Newtek was loing to release a separate piece of hardware that was basically just a fast - for the time - computer running a Dec Alpha chip running at about 100 mghz. It was called "Screamer" after the famous painting.

The idea was to use your Amiga LightWave and render on a network to this machine. Speeds were touted to be 10-20 faster than the fastest Amiga chip.

Shortly after that Intel released the Pentium chip, the Screamer was never released because the first Pentium was just as fast. So what they did instead was release a stand-alone version of LW for the Intel platform.

What remained was the "Screamer Net" software - included free with LW - to render across the network.

Prior to that you had to have several boxes all with LW installed and run them across a network. This is how many of the TV shows were produced back then.

Irrelevant
04-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the help and for the background info, now hopefully my admin will let me do this.

JBT27
04-17-2008, 04:03 PM
I hadn't read that intro - the paragraphs near the top are refreshingly honest!

If you have a budget to spend on this, you might look at one of the versions of Butterfly NetRender:

http://www.liquiddreamsolutions.com/

We just have six machines to render with, but this is so easy to setup and use.

Julian.

archijam
04-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Anyone know if the 'easy' network controler for mac still works with 9.3.1 and 9.5? I couldn't get it running ...

j.