PDA

View Full Version : How to render Material ID pass

id_dac
04-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm a new Lightwave User and I would like to know how to render a pass with different color assigned to each surface shader. I use this channel to select object by material in post work (photoshop). I know I can render a Raw RGB pass, but when I have two or more surface shader of the same color, it won't work in photoshop.

I would like to render a pass that would show all shaders in different colors, no mather what that color is.

Thanks

JeffrySG
04-15-2008, 08:06 AM
In the 'image processing' / 'image filter' tabs I think the RLA and PSD export options have that ability. You might want to test them out to be sure.

Mr_Q
04-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Worse case make a pass yourself. Using multi select in the SurfEd can make it less a pain. Just go to each objects surfaces, pick a non conflicting color and make the surf 100% Lum, 0% for all else. Turn off lights and shadow casting.

id_dac
04-17-2008, 07:27 AM
Thanks for your answers!

JeffrySG: The buffer "Material ID" is a G-Buffer and can't be opened in Photoshop (If you know how please let me know)

Mr_Q: This is what I'm doing right now but it's a drag and if your not careful enough, you can lose all your textures.

JeffrySG
04-17-2008, 08:29 AM
I though that the material buffer in the PSD export created a layer that has each Material as as different shade of gray? I don't have access to LW here right now to double check, though. I'm not sure what 'g-buffer' is though.

toby
04-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Jeffery's right! That's very cool. ( it's the SurfaceID checkbox under Geometry in the PSD Export window ). The buffer will look black, but actually each surface area will be colored 1,1,1 or 2,2,2 etc. Of course it would be better if it made separate channels for each one... and Object ID doesn't seem to do jack.

You can also use Special Buffers in the advanced tab of the surface editor, and turn on 'special' under Material in the PSD Export.

id_dac
04-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks guy, it will try these idea Monday morning. I'm having trouble with the PSD export, it creates document that once in Photoshop can't be opened as layered documents,only the composited image (flattened) is showed. I thought it was an image size issue, but I'm down to 1600x1200 and it won't do it. All the other threads I've read about this problem always advise to reduce the size of the image, but if it's not useable for print, what good it is to have these buffers. I have 4 gig of ram with the 3gb switch active under xp 32 so I don't know how could I have more ram.

toby
04-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Hmm, I just tried a 4k image, it worked fine. Maybe try unloading and re-loading the plugin, or maybe one of the buffers has a problem, try turning off all but the most basic buffers, just to see if it works -

Thanks again Jeff for bringing this one up, I love it!

id_dac
04-21-2008, 09:26 AM
I've managed to render an image with the PSD buffer export. The Surface ID layer is shaded, meaning shadows are present on surfaces and bump map affect the surfaces. What am I doing wrong?

JeffrySG
04-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Hmm, I just tried a 4k image, it worked fine. Maybe try unloading and re-loading the plugin, or maybe one of the buffers has a problem, try turning off all but the most basic buffers, just to see if it works -

Thanks again Jeff for bringing this one up, I love it!

No problem, Toby! I just used that for the first time on the last project I finished. :)

JeffrySG
04-21-2008, 10:00 AM
I've managed to render an image with the PSD buffer export. The Surface ID layer is shaded, meaning shadows are present on surfaces and bump map affect the surfaces. What am I doing wrong?

Can you post a screen grab for us to see? Are you sure you don't have the layer set to a mode such as multiply?

id_dac
04-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Here it is. AA is 5 with perspective camera and adaptative sampling is at 0.03.
http://bckdesign.ca/screenGrab.jpg

JeffrySG
04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
^That does look a bit weird. I'm not sure if that's just what that channel is supposed to look like or if it's an error the way it's being processed. Maybe try it on a really simple scene to see if it works and at least you know if it actually works the way we think it's supposed to - or if it's getting errors on this specific scene.

id_dac
04-22-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm having more success with the special buffer as sugested by Toby. Since I often reuse the same material, It would not be a problem.

I've rendered other scenes but I have the same type of results. I've tried many types of camera (perpective, classic) but always I have the same images. Do you have any idea what could that be? I've unloaded an reloaded the plugin and even reinstalled lightwave.

JeffrySG
04-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, my experience with trouble shooting this problem ends here. I'm not sure what else to try to get it to work, sorry... Maybe someone else will have an idea?

If I can think of anything else I'll let you know!

id_dac
04-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I'll post info if I discover anything else