PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Crossover?

BazC
04-14-2008, 03:18 AM
hadn't even heard of it until a couple of days ago but it seems too good to be true. Run Windows apps and games on an Intel Mac without installing Windows and experience very little performance hit.

I haven't had a pleasant experience running Windows either on a separate partition or through Parallels so I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Mostly for running ZBrush3 (having all but given up on ever seeing a Mac version!) but also to try apps like 3D-Coat, Mudbox and PC games.

Anyone here have any experience of the app?

Crossover (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/)

Phil
04-14-2008, 03:40 AM
Yup. Be aware that OpenGL in viewports remains a distant prospect for Mac folks. Linux users finally got a fix to this long standing issue, but this fix is not available for Mac (I'm not aware of the reasons - perhaps Apple's X11 is too old)

3D-Coat works just fine, although somewhat slower than under Windows. ZB3 is blocked by its activation system so far as I'm aware. Mudbox is unlikely to work because it uses OpenGL in viewports (see above)

Games-wise, it's never been a great option - the performance gap is noticeable on my MBP, making even old games like 'Driver' somewhat tedious to try and play. I'm not expecting to be able to play Max Payne type games with happiness any time soon, sadly.

BazC
04-14-2008, 04:24 AM
Thanks Phil, it doesn't sound good! I'll probably try it but it doesn't sound as though it will be good enough for my needs :(

jeremyhardin
04-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Tried it and none of the apps I tried worked. Additionally, the waiting list for getting things working was too prohibitive to take seriously. So Parallels it remains for me.

BazC
04-14-2008, 05:09 AM
Thanks Jeremy!

JeffrySG
04-14-2008, 02:44 PM
The only time I used it was to run some windows business software for my wife on my Mac. It ran fine, but it did seem like it really wasn't the best for 3d apps. I think they have a list of all the compatible applications when I downloaded the demo. Pretty much all the software that I was interested it running, like Max or CAD software was not listed.

BazC
04-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Thanks Jeffrey, that's what I'm hearing everywhere, I think I'll be better waiting for ZB3 Mac version :(