PDA

View Full Version : Latest upgrades from Newtek @ NAB

rally1
04-13-2008, 10:13 PM
So the presentation that Newtek put together tonight brought out some great new products and add-ons for the :tcicon:

The Following are my (unedited and not fact checked) notes, i'm sure this will be up on their website in more detail soon.

New Tricaster Broadcaster.
SDI inputs.
Syncs with scoreboards.

New LiveControl T-bar, for Studio and Broadcaster ($495 upgrade) (with trade in?)

Livetext runs on ext computer allows secondary person to do overlays/titling $995

Timewarp slowmo instant replay hardware $995

Tricaster 2.0 $495 upgrade to all TCs
vcr now takes mpeg2 avi and quicktime
records in mpeg 2
streams in flash

Event deals, all new things for only $1500 (2.0 timewarp and livetext)

Sports liveset pack overlays and virtual sets
Sports graphic pack

amospro
04-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Ohhhh, Hot of the press, huh? Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate on the LiveConrol T-Bar? What's different?

Flash Stream = Cool!

No TriCaster HD?

rally1
04-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Low res. webcam shot.

jcupp
04-14-2008, 07:06 AM
Just a corrrection
LiveControl LC-11 Upgrade from RS-8/VM =$995

CreatvGnius
04-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Just a correction
LiveControl LC-11 Upgrade from RS-8/VM =$995OK, at that price, does one need to pack up their older RS-8/VM or do they get to keep it?
-PeterG

jcupp
04-14-2008, 11:52 PM
It's a trade in so you will have to send the old one back. List for the LC-11 is $1995.

brians0105
04-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Jeff, do you have any more detailed LiveControl pictures... particularly of the right half of the switcher?

CreatvGnius
04-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Jeff, do you have any more detailed LiveControl pictures... particularly of the right half of the switcher?LOL! I was musing similarly!
:agree:
PeterG

CreatvGnius
04-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Can you elaborate on the LiveConrol T-Bar? What's different?The T-Bar looks to me to have the same appearance and functionality as the T-Bar on the RS-8 we've got here, Amos. Are you asking if its movement feels even smoother than the one we have currently?
-PeterG

jcupp
04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
The lighting was a problem these (http://newteknews.blogspot.com/2008/04/nab-pictures.html) are from my cell phone and probably won't help much.

The right part of thee LC-11 has controls for running the DSK that include three rotary controls for scrolling through the lists in the two DDRs and the TitleTemplates.These may also have a Push to Set function.

There are also two joysticks labled A and B I haven't caught what these do. I have a copy of the new TC brochure but the picture of the LC-11 is a Lightwave render and most of the controls aren't actually labeled.

rally1
04-15-2008, 07:43 PM
My photos were not much better but I got a close look at everything today. I was only there for a few minutes, but I will go back tomorrow and try to drill down some details for us all. Any questions list them here and I will bring them up.

The joysticks can be user defined, at least that is what I heard them say.

The TimeWarp has some drawbacks, the main one being that the operator is still relying on a tiny video window on the main TC screen. They should really have a way to send that out as a full screen preview so the replay operator can get a good look at the replay.

hqv
04-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Ohhhh, Hot of the press, huh?
No TriCaster HD?

The press release states:
TriCaster Broadcast with SDI support delivers enhanced efficiency and reliability. With audio embedded in the video signal producers can depend on a fast, professional set-up.

SDI can carry (SD-HDI) and (HD-SDI) signals but if you are sending uncompressed HD, that is a huge amount of data hitting the tricaster box. The current single hard drive and dual core CPU will absolutely choke on uncompressed HD SDI.

I would love to see HD but I don't see how the current processor can handle 3 to 6 simultaneous streams of HD signals (uncompressed or native HDV). It appears to be able to read HD files in the VCR .

SBowie
04-16-2008, 07:01 AM
BROADCAST (like other 2.0 series models) supports HD clips in the editor, but edit projects are still SD, as are switched inputs (DDRs auto-scale).

billmi
04-16-2008, 08:56 AM
No TriCaster HD?

At the Orlando stop of the Red Carpet Tour, Richard stated that HD versions of Tricaster are on target to be released prior to the end of analog television broadcast in the US, February 17, 2009.

rally1
04-16-2008, 09:46 AM
The HD card they are planning to use will be in the new 3 channel replay device they have on deck.

Tarheel Cougar
04-16-2008, 11:19 AM
The HD card they are planning to use will be in the new 3 channel replay device they have on deck.

Is there a 3 channel SD replay device on the horizon? How does that relate to Timewarp?

sbrandt
04-16-2008, 12:40 PM
So is the TCProFX upgrade defunct?
When I can send my Pro in for the upgrade, what will it upgrade to?

sbrandt
04-16-2008, 02:34 PM
I wish these could still be edited, I hate to add two posts in a row...

...but, I found a link to the TCProFX down at the bottom of the page.

The new question becomes... will the FX upgrade now include the Flash Streaming functionality ???

(And/or any other bits of tech wisdom, on the new upgrade choices, you'd like to add to the mix.)

beverins
04-16-2008, 02:38 PM
DataLink for the Tricaster!

Took the interview to drag that info out from them.

John Perkins
04-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Is there a 3 channel SD replay device on the horizon? How does that relate to Timewarp?

Time Warp is a DDR and replay controller surface for TriCaster that allows the TriCaster Pro/Studio/Broadcast to do double duty as a single stream SD replay device while switching.

The replay box will do three simultaneous streams of SD or HD with professional replay capabilities and can be added to any SD or HD switcher. This is a dedicated replay device for a replay operator, not an integrated switcher.

John Perkins
04-16-2008, 02:47 PM
I wish these could still be edited, I hate to add two posts in a row...

...but, I found a link to the TCProFX down at the bottom of the page.

The new question becomes... will the FX upgrade now include the Flash Streaming functionality ???

(And/or any other bits of tech wisdom, on the new upgrade choices, you'd like to add to the mix.)

Yes, ProFX and Pro owners will get all Pro 2.0 features in the upgrade.

Hmm, other things of note...I don't think most people have noticed that TriCaster Broadcast has preview out capability (including component and SDI). That's a great thing for setting up keys before going live.

Tarheel Cougar
04-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the clarifications. If the yet to be named replay box comes out soon and is remotely reasonable in price, sign me up!

Is there a list yet of what features Tricaster 2.0 upgrades will add?

I bet the Daktronics partnership spurred some of these sports developments. I'm thrilled! I just wish more venues around here used Daktronics rather than other manufacturers.

sbrandt
04-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Through Daktronics, will we be talking things like, Digital Signage for the mallcrawlers?

Like fer' instance, a half dozen or so 42'' flat panels around town with little $300 workstations running the graphics that I could change and manage instant, up-to-date, fresh graphics from a single point...

...stuff like that?

Wow, what a selling point. The client's copy can change instantly without replacing it with a completely new piece of signage.

D3Cast
04-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Time Warp is a DDR and replay controller surface for TriCaster that allows the TriCaster Pro/Studio/BroadcastJohn: you didn't by any chance just accidentally leave out the TC-100 in that sentence, did you?

Sigh. No? Didn't think so.

-s

John Perkins
04-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the clarifications. If the yet to be named replay box comes out soon and is remotely reasonable in price, sign me up!

Is there a list yet of what features Tricaster 2.0 upgrades will add?

I bet the Daktronics partnership spurred some of these sports developments. I'm thrilled! I just wish more venues around here used Daktronics rather than other manufacturers.

Hmm, I'll have to get back to you on the list of features. Right now I'd have to look at the product pages (post NAB trip brain fry) or think of a few big ones off the top of my head.

Flash streaming in addition to Windows Media
External input - connect to networked video sources (YUV + Alpha) such as the LiveText CG
New MPEG I-Frame capture - cut the power during a show and lose only the few frames not yet written to disk, take them to any editor without needing our codec
New Quicktime file reader that uses Apple Quicktime 7
Ability to use the new LiveControl and TimeWarp control surfaces
Ability to use the new DataLink plugin - ties titles to local or remote data sources such as databases or scoreboards

Although the DataLink plugin directly supports Daktronics scoreboards, it can also connect to Whiteway and OES scoreboards, an SQL database, XML file or a formatted text file.

With these last two options you should be able to connect to just about any digital data source with very little work.

John Perkins
04-16-2008, 03:49 PM
John: you didn't by any chance just accidentally leave out the TC-100 in that sentence, did you?

Sigh. No? Didn't think so.

-s

No, we couldn't squeeze any more juice from that model to support some of the new features.

We were very pleased that we could get this feature to as many users as we did.

Scoots
04-17-2008, 01:07 PM
How many of these new toys are available for the VT5?

brians0105
04-17-2008, 01:33 PM
I sure hope the LiveControl and LiveText options are. I would assume they would work with the VT5? Or maybe a patch or upgrade to the software? Please!!!

John Perkins
04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Those features will need the VT update that we mentioned at NAB.

The LiveControl would technically function, but in a limited capacity. Not all buttons would be recognized without an update.

John Perkins
04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
John, you say an "SQL" database, is MySQL listed as a feature set? Pretty much any DB with ODBC?

High Res Photos Anyone? I'd love to see a good one of the timewarp surface and the new controller.

That's a somewhat complicated question. Nothing, not even MySQL supports the entire SQL feature set, but for most normal queries it should work. I say should because although I'm not a database guru, I do know that they are not 100% functionally identical.

gameguyag
04-18-2008, 01:48 AM
This upgrade will allow us to stream flash from the tricaster or install something like Adobe Flash Media Encoder on the box?

SBowie
04-18-2008, 06:07 AM
This upgrade will allow us to stream flash from the tricaster or install something like Adobe Flash Media Encoder on the box?AFAICS, it's very similar to the situation with WME. Flash Media Encoder is pre-installed, but you can don't really ever need to see it. You just pick a Flash profile from the Stream/Record tab.

rally1
04-20-2008, 01:32 PM
So the next questions are... when and how can we get 2.0?