PDA

View Full Version : OT: Assassin's Creed

IMI
04-13-2008, 01:06 AM
I was playing through Half-Life 2 (for the tenth time at least :) ) and when I finished, noticed Steam was telling me about Assassin's Creed. So, I bought it and downloaded it and installed it - about 9 gigs of gamestuff - cool that it installs as it downloads. :D

Looks good so far, but it's kind of annoying that the control options for a gamepad are included with the PC download version and in the lengthy tutorial. Confusing.

Really nice graphics - with my nvidia 8800 GTS, but what I've seen so far is kind of lame in the animation of the faces and expressions.
Kind of difficult to navigate with a keyboard and mouse. So far. Probably takes some getting used to. It definitely seems more complex to do stuff than I would think it ought to be.

Anyone else here playing this yet?

IMI
04-13-2008, 03:09 PM
What, no takers? Nobody here has checked this game out yet?
Maybe you all have, just are too busy playing it to reply. Couldn't blame you there - I had to forcibly tear myself away just to come here and post this. Well, that and I'm out of beer and need to get to the store. ;)

But seriously, Assassin's Creed is a trip. It seems quite difficult at first, but the storyline eases you into it and there's loads of information given and repeated for how to control your character.
I have to say, it's a very unique storyline. At least, I've never played a game like this before.
Turn all the graphics up, and it's really quite a beautiful setting, too. Cool outfits, good looking characters. Rather lo-res, but with a good amount of detail. They definitely didn't skimp on the textures and normal maps.
Even with everything cranked up I'm getting great response, although my system does well exceed the specifications. You have to have at least a dual core processor, but I suspect an nvidia 7950 GTS could handle it well. The 8800 GTS most definitely handles it well.
Playing it on Vista 64 bit, too. No problems there. :)

jburford
04-13-2008, 03:25 PM
;-)

I picked up Assassin's Creed for my X-Box 360, but after a few days have not gotten back into it due to other distractors as well as having too many other games to play.

I must say, one of the Best I have ever seen in all aspects is BioShock!!! It is simply unbelievable.

Jim_C
04-13-2008, 03:35 PM
I must say, one of the Best I have ever seen in all aspects is BioShock!!! It is simply unbelievable.

I dloaded the demo thru Steam last night and it only took me 5 minutes of playing and I bought the whole game.

The graphics are so unbelievable that I thought I was still watching the opening scene when suddenly it said 'To move use XYZ keys' on the screen.
I couldn't believe that was actually the game.
I thought it was still the cut scene.

IMI
04-13-2008, 03:40 PM
;-)

I picked up Assassin's Creed for my X-Box 360, but after a few days have not gotten back into it due to other distractors as well as having too many other games to play.

Oh hell yeah, Bioshock is a winner for sure. I got that right after it was released, too, and have played through it several times. Eery. Disturbing. Very unique and extremely fun. major WOW! factor on the graphics.

Steamthrower
04-13-2008, 03:44 PM
;-)

I'll have to disagree with you there. I could appreciate the "retro" aspect of that game, but I literally forced myself to finish it. HL2's story was much better in my opinion...even Far Cry's storyline was better...

IMI
04-13-2008, 03:48 PM
I'll have to disagree with you there. I could appreciate the "retro" aspect of that game, but I literally forced myself to finish it. HL2's story was much better in my opinion...

Well, it's not fair to compare most games to HL2. That's like comparing men to Gods. :D
And HL2 keeps getting better. The Orange Box set with Episodes One and Two each build off HL2 proper, but the graphics in Episode Two are a little better, IMO. I can hardly wait for Episode Three, which will be the final one. Hopefully not the end of Gordon Freeman though.

Jim_C
04-13-2008, 03:53 PM
And HL2 keeps getting better. The Orange Box set with Episodes One and Two each build off HL2 proper, but the graphics in Episode Two are a little better, IMO. I can hardly wait for Episode Three, which will be the final one. Hopefully not the end of Gordon Freeman though.

I have a question re: the HL story...

Lost Coast is...?

It's just 'for fun' right? I mean it's not needed to carry the storyline?
My buddy told me he thought LC was them showing off the game engine with a quick side mission thing.

IMI
04-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I have a question re: the HL story...

Lost Coast is...?

It's just 'for fun' right? I mean it's not needed to carry the storyline?
My buddy told me he thought LC was them showing off the game engine with a quick side mission thing.

Lost Coast is just for fun, yes, but although it does in fact show off the game engine, it also gives some interesting information via the developer's commentary. Makes for good practice for the rest of the game as well, plus allows you to benchmark your hardware's performance.
But yeah, it's just a side trip, not part of the HL 2 game mission.

Jim_C
04-13-2008, 06:13 PM
thank you sir....

I think I'm about halfway thru it.

IMI
04-13-2008, 07:22 PM
thank you sir....

I think I'm about halfway thru it.

No problem. :)

Halfway through what? Half-Life 2, or Lost Coast? Lost Coast should take fifteen, maybe twenty-five minutes, depending how long you linger.
H-L 2 though... one thing cool about it is it's a rather long game. The first time I played it I thought I was halfway through, right after "We Don't Go To Ravenholm". Turns out I was nowhere near....
What chapter are you in?

Speaking of Ravenholm, I have to say, its unique... erm... "residents" are about the most unnerving things I've ever dealt with in a computer game. Simply brilliant. And there's little more unsettling than a zombie cut in half and on fire crawling at you screaming that pathetic scream...

cresshead
04-13-2008, 08:21 PM
assassins creed on xbox360 is okay...the graphics and the models are amazing but the story and gameplay seem to be rushed or an afterthought...

however...mass effect is THE GAME...so much more fun to play....really involving storyline and plot..character models are MUCH better and the enviroments and fx are great to explore...feels like a proper next gen title not half of one like assassins creed where they have a excellent environment but no idea what to make with it really.

IMI
04-13-2008, 09:09 PM
I'll check out Mass Effect. Actually, I never heard of it before now, but Googled it and it looks cool enough. Gotta give credit to Steam's marketing scheme at least - people like me who aren't gaming fanatics might otherwise not notice something new.

Although I disagree regarding your assessment of Assassin's Creed's story. It's odd, to say the least, but it's not the same old same old thing. I've begun to like it because it makes you think. It really does seem to require a good bit of plotting, planning and strategy to accomplish your next goal.
Of course, I've only been at it all-tolled for a few hours now...

RedBull
04-13-2008, 09:19 PM

Yeah, I've recently been playing it maxed out @ 1900x1200, with the lights off and the speakers up.... Voice acting, sound engineering, sounds and lighting, level design and many story and writing elements really added to the atmosphere and other highlights. A truly superb game and their are very few of them around these days. IMO.

I'm a bit biased in that the developers work just down the road from me, but i had only played the demo until recently.... Really outstanding effort, one of the few FPS lately to push the experience further. (I loved Stalker last year too) In comparison HL2, HL2E1, bored me utterly and i cannot bring myself to play HL2E2, because it pales in comparison to Stalker and Bioshock, COD4 etc.

Red_Oddity
04-14-2008, 03:10 AM
Assassins Creed is nice for a tech demo, as a game it is heavily flawed.
Throughout the game they teach you certain mechanics (claiming that it is a stealth game, even though stealth in this game is a usefull as a condom vending machine in the Vatican) but when you reach certain bosses those mechanics go straight out the window (Robert de Sable for example is invulnerable to your wrist blade until you have knocked him down a couple of times).
Also, replay value is practically zero, as most of the flags that are needed for achievements are nigh impossible to find.
Still, just free running like a deranged Yamakazi through the cities and whacking your sword at every guard you encounter does have its charm.

As for Mass Effect, i've done 3 runs through it and i'm thinking of picking it up again and playing it this time as an Adept.
Probably the best buck spend on any game for the XBox 360 so far.
My only gripes with Mass Effect are
a) the stupid vehicle that steers like a shopping cart with a wheel missing on a ski slope (not to mention the lackluster Bryce planets).
b) the character outfit area and merchant onboard your ship are split off from the navigational area by an elevator that goes down 2 meters but for some reason takes a minute to actually get down (a very bad design choise).
c) the worst inventory system ever (you can't see all your items in a single sortable list, no, when you want to remove something like say a couple of weapon mods, you have to go to your inventory, then to your weapon, then to the mod window, then scroll through a very very slow inventory screen until you reach said mod and when you destroy it, the inventory menu places your cursor at the top of the list again, making you scroll down again and again when you have many items to discard (guess where the weakest items are placed on said list))
But even with those flaws, it's probably the best game you can get for the XBox360.

No comments on Bioshock, played it through twice and it rules, always nice to play System Shock with better graphics (albeit dumbed down a lot)

mattclary
04-14-2008, 09:04 AM
I'll check out Mass Effect. Actually, I never heard of it before now,

Holy crap! Are you kidding?

And FYI, for everyone, Mass Effect is coming to the PC! I think the end of May. Can't wait!

Steamthrower
04-14-2008, 10:01 AM
No problem. :)Speaking of Ravenholm, I have to say, its unique... erm... "residents" are about the most unnerving things I've ever dealt with in a computer game. Simply brilliant. And there's little more unsettling than a zombie cut in half and on fire crawling at you screaming that pathetic scream...

Oh, man, Ravenholm was the creepiest part of any game I have ever played. It only compounds the trouble because there's literally no ammo available...so you have to throw saw blades and debris...it nearly drove me crazy.

I'll have to confess, though, that after I finished the entire game I went back and played the Ravenholm level in cheat mode, with all the ammo. That was so fun, the mass blood-letting, the ragdoll physics...blasting zombies away with rocket launchers and shotguns...hacking your way through hordes of undead enemies, beating their brains out...I'm scaring myself now. I never knew the beast within me!

Seriously, though, the parts of the game in City 17 were so much fun. I like the apocalyptic feel of it.

Any other post-apocalyptic games you guys recommend? I'm just waiting for a game version of The Road to come out...

Steamthrower
04-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Cool...I know someone who has that, I'll see if I can borrow that and try it out. It's the Russian game, right? He told me it was awfully buggy. My comp's a bit faster than his, though, so maybe it'll work better.

mattclary
04-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Arstechnica has a review of Assasin's Creed for the PC. Doesn't sound so hot...

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/04/14/assassins-creed-on-the-pc-bad-ui-bad-drm-bad-port

MachineClaw
04-14-2008, 11:09 AM
I bought Mass Effect and Assasins Creed at the same time....

Just finished Mass Effect cause it's Bioware and I play anything and everything they have ever made. Mass Effect seemed really cool then got really really easy and was over quickly. I was so into it, the graphics, the story everything and then blamm it was over.

I'm egerly awaiting GTA IV and bought Saints Row to get back into the feel of GTA.

I still have yet to fire up Assasins Creed haha.

I think when Fallout 3 comes out I will just take a week off from work and play play play.

So far I've been Kinda disapointed in the RPG games for xbox360 which is pretty much all I play.

Fallout 3, GTA IV, Starwars Unleashed those are keeping me eying games.

I'll have to grab Bioshock and check it out - but only after I finish Assasins Creed, wouldn't want the games piling up.

mattclary
04-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Good to hear, neverko!

Jim_C
04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
No problem. :)

Halfway through what? Half-Life 2, or Lost Coast? Lost Coast should take fifteen, maybe twenty-five minutes, depending how long you linger.

In that case I must be about 95% thru it (Lost Coast)

I finished HL2 a couple weeks ago. funfun

Red_Oddity
04-15-2008, 04:13 AM
If you want a post apocalyptic feel, try Stalker, that is one atmospheric experience.

I for one can't wait for the sequel Clear Sky (http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen.asp?id=12209)
I only found it a shame they cut so much out of STALKER (vehicle support, open level design), still, ran great on my P4 with nvidia 6800 GT, with some minor tweaks in the config file.

IMI
04-18-2008, 08:21 PM
If you want a post apocalyptic feel, try Stalker, that is one atmospheric experience.

Yeah, I'd say so...
Turns out, you can buy Stalker as a download through Steam as well, so tonight I did. Wow, looks great!
Reminds me of Morrowind the way the info is set up - that is, the recorded dialog mixed with the non-narrated text, and the journal/diary. The PDA feature is pretty cool. In any event, it's one of those games that just sucks you right in - at least it did it to me.
Although so far I still think HL and Oblivion have Stalker beat, graphics-wise, Stalker's graphics are beautiful. Some elements are kind of average, while others, particularly textures, are superb. I have it running completely maxed out, with no lag at all.
Haven't made it far into it at all yet, but I can tell already it's going to be one of my favorites.

Someone mentioned Fallout 3... definitely looking forward to that - also by Bethesda Softworks, makers of Elder Scrolls.

I'd love to add more about Assassin's Creed, but I didn't get alot of time this week to play games. What time I did have to play it, I'm still impressed with the graphics, but having trouble getting a handle on what I'm supposed to be doing. I killed the guy in Damascus, but can't help but feel I left a whole lot undone.
Maybe later...

Have only four months left to master Stalker though, before the next version comes out...
Neverko's right about the environment in Stalker - it is an experience. It just oozes atmosphere and attitude.

Of course, I should be 'waving with my time, but this is... research. Yes, 3D research. :D

IMI
04-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Stalker:
Probably the most difficult game I've yet played. And that's at Novice level. SLowly making progress, but it's not a game for those with no patience. ;) Those guys shooting back at you in the game really mean business - and their shots are guided by the computer... they always know where you are. Usually by the time I figure out where I'm being shot at from, I'm dead.

Frustrating as all Hell, but well worth it - every victory is very hard-won. And, man, there's some serious eye candy in Stalker - if you're into doom and gloom that is. :D

Jim_C
04-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Stalker:
Probably the most difficult game I've yet played. And that's at Novice level. SLowly making progress, but it's not a game for those with no patience. ;) Those guys shooting back at you in the game really mean business - and their shots are guided by the computer... they always know where you are. Usually by the time I figure out where I'm being shot at from, I'm dead.

Frustrating as all Hell, but well worth it - every victory is very hard-won. And, man, there's some serious eye candy in Stalker - if you're into doom and gloom that is. :D

Agreed agreed agreed.... it's a great mix of fps and role playing. Many paths and adventures to take. Inventory you carry is very important.
dang radiation areas keep getting me.

cresshead
04-19-2008, 12:07 PM
just bought burnout paradise for 360 looks okay and the open city is cool but the car is boring to drive..it's FAr too forgiving and the views you get...either your chin on the bumper cam or the kite cam behind the car cam are disapointing when you compare to the skill you need to drive in pgr4 and PGR4 has bonnet cam and behind the wheel cam...
so
i think burnout will go back t the shop...just downloading some 360 demo's so i can choose a better game and not just go off the instore demo thay had running at gamestation in town today...lucky they have a 10day swapout policy so once i've had a play with a few game later on tonight i'll go and get something 'better' with luck.

Jim_C
04-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I only found it a shame they cut so much out of STALKER (vehicle support,<snip>.

WOW!

Not THAT would be handy!! Soooooo much walking and walking and walking.

IMI
04-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Agreed agreed agreed.... it's a great mix of fps and role playing. Many paths and adventures to take. Inventory you carry is very important.
dang radiation areas keep getting me.

Yeah, the radiation is a drag. if there is such a thing as a radiation-proof suit, I haven't found it yet... and there's nowhere near enough radiation medicine around. For that matter, not enough first aid kits, either. But I'm probably missing alot of things, since I'm spending all my time shooting at people and dogs.
What really got me is I made it to 'The Barkeep' with the military documents, but died in the middle of my conversation with him. The radiation death-o-meter keeps on ticking even as you check your inventory and even in conversation. Realistic, I suppose, but annoying in a game. If I wanted reality I'd just go to work. ;)

Jim_C
04-19-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm probably missing alot of things, since I'm spending all my time shooting at people and dogs.

Yea, same here.. I am much more of a FPS gamer guy then a role player, and it will cost you in Stalker if you run around UT style all the time. I am sure I am suppose to have a much nicer suit by now than I do.

I really dig the enemy's AI. They seem to actually work like a squad and always do different things based on how I attack them.

I was just lucky enough to upgrade to a quad/8800gt system from a 2002 dual 1.8 proc/6800 ultra.
Game took on a WHOLE new look.....

It has however recently taken a back seat to Bioshock.

IMI
04-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Yea, same here.. I am much more of a FPS gamer guy then a role player, and it will cost you in Stalker if you run around UT style all the time. I am sure I am suppose to have a much nicer suit by now than I do.

I really dig the enemy's AI. They seem to actually work like a squad and always do different things based on how I attack them.

I was just lucky enough to upgrade to a quad/8800gt system from a 2002 dual 1.8 proc/6800 ultra.
Game took on a WHOLE new look.....

It has however recently taken a back seat to Bioshock.

From what I read before I bought it, the AI is their big thing. And I have to agree, the enemies have far more AI than my character does. My guy doesn't seem to be endowed with enough intelligence, artificial or otherwise, to run a raid on a troop of unarmed Girl Scouts, let alone a mutant Russian army. ;)

I'm doing it on my dual core AMD X2 6000, 8800 GTS. Maybe that's the problem... maybe a little less processing power and it would be more fair. ;)

Red_Oddity
04-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah, the radiation is a drag. if there is such a thing as a radiation-proof suit, I haven't found it yet... and there's nowhere near enough radiation medicine around. For that matter, not enough first aid kits, either. But I'm probably missing alot of things, since I'm spending all my time shooting at people and dogs.
What really got me is I made it to 'The Barkeep' with the military documents, but died in the middle of my conversation with him. The radiation death-o-meter keeps on ticking even as you check your inventory and even in conversation. Realistic, I suppose, but annoying in a game. If I wanted reality I'd just go to work. ;)

Keep on playing, there's an area with a quest you are bound to come, where you get the best suit in the game as a reward (insane radiation tolerance)
Also, keep in mind that you can equip/carry those items anomalies leave behind, some give you insane stat bonusses.

IMI
04-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Keep on playing, there's an area with a quest you are bound to come, where you get the best suit in the game as a reward (insane radiation tolerance)
Also, keep in mind that you can equip/carry those items anomalies leave behind, some give you insane stat bonusses.

Oh, cool, thanks. Gives me something to look forward to. :)

Mind you, I'm not complaining. Difficult as it is, it is enjoyable... in a masochistic way. ;)
Definitely a challenge. In all honesty, much as I love Oblivion, Bethesda Softworks could learn something from Stalker and the idea of not making everything too easy.

Medi8or
04-19-2008, 05:39 PM
I'd love to add more about Assassin's Creed, but I didn't get alot of time this week to play games. What time I did have to play it, I'm still impressed with the graphics, but having trouble getting a handle on what I'm supposed to be doing. I killed the guy in Damascus, but can't help but feel I left a whole lot undone."I killed the guy in <city>" repeats itself all the way through the game. Of course you can visit all the view points, rescue all the citizens in need, do all the investigations (not just the 2-3 needed), and collect all the flags. But really, 3 areas in 3 cities, and you have to repeat the same tasks in all of them.
I can't help but feel they could have done a lot more out of the game. At least they left the ending wide open for a sequel...:rolleyes:

IMI
04-19-2008, 06:40 PM
"I killed the guy in <city>" repeats itself all the way through the game. Of course you can visit all the view points, rescue all the citizens in need, do all the investigations (not just the 2-3 needed), and collect all the flags. But really, 3 areas in 3 cities, and you have to repeat the same tasks in all of them.
I can't help but feel they could have done a lot more out of the game. At least they left the ending wide open for a sequel...:rolleyes:

I'm tending to agree with you there.
I paid my 50 bucks for it (actually, $49.95), so I'm going to enjoy it to the end no matter what. ;)
But, graphics aren't all that nowadays. Important, but a lame story with lame quests with great graphics is still a lame story with great graphics...
Not that the idea isn't grand - it is - but it wasn't implemented so well...

cresshead
04-20-2008, 08:20 AM
just to add that i've downloaded some demos and boy are they annoying!
most demos are faster to quit if i power off the 360...all the are you sure and then a load of rubbish screen whilst we wait for it to finally exit the game,

and film licence games are utter poo
shrek
spiderwich chronicles
ratta tat tat....rat thing/

other demo's...far cry...rubbish,
dirt colin mcaray drives like a shopping trolley
turok...sdtuck in a cave...ohh such fun!...not

all incredibly crap!

best demo so far was quake 4 but that's a old genre done by id is i'd expect it to actually 'work' and it does.

i think i jst lucked out on getting some games worth the cash.

i bought burnout paradise and it's okay...probably too simple drive mechanics really but i like the druve anywhere of it...not raced anyone yet...just driving around!

IMI
04-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Funny, I started this thread about Assassin's Creed a week ago, but I haven't even touched it since I got STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl the other night. Well, I'll deal with Assassin's Creed later on. ;)

I have to thank neverko for mention Stalker. I had heard of it before, but for whatever reason just ignored it. Seeing his praise of it caused me to check it out, and now I'm bigtime addicted to it. Played it all day today, but still haven't gotten that far. Many restarts, actually, as I figure it out and get better at dealing with the threats and learning what I need to keep in the game.
For example, my radiation problem before was baffling me. I was at "The Barkeep" and everyone is doing fine, while I'm swallowing pound after pound of anti-radiation medicine to stay alive, and it's still slowly killing me. I can't prove it, but I think once a suit has been exposed to so much, it sticks with it. in any event, that problem ended once I ditched the suit and there is, in fact, no radiation in that area. Maybe just a bug in the game, but probably more like another dose of reality.
They definitely didn't make this game easy, that's for sure, but once you get the better weapons and learn how to use them, lots of ammo and the important supplies, it's somewhat better. Still far from easy, but manageable.
All in all Stalker is an exceedingly cool game with breathtaking graphics which don't put any strain on my system at all. Uses roughly 1.5 GB's of RAM on average, and I have the graphics all maxed out, including AA. The 8800 GTS handles it great, but I think even a 7600 or 7950 would do fine with lower settings.
One minor gripe is the suits and weapons wear out and have to be replaced. Not a big deal with the weapons, as they're all over the place, but good suits are few and far between and *very* expensive if you find someone selling one. But again, they tried to make it as real as a PC game could be, I suppose, and that's a huge part of its charm, in a masochistic way. ;)

Seriously, STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl is an excellent experience, IMO, even rivaling the almighty HL2. And their next version is scheduled for August '08, I think probably around the time HL2 Episode 3 is due.
Might be time to invest in that 9600 GTX...

Red_Oddity
04-21-2008, 07:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=stalker+vehicle&search_type=

Some folks have restored the vehicle support via a mod, when i played it was very beta, seems the mod is working okay now.

edit
also, in the very first STALKER (Oblivion Lost back then) had no barbwire fences, the entire game was one giant level, i believe someone has gone through the trouble of stitching it all back together again.

Just check some of the first Oblivion Lost footage on Youtube.

SUch a shame that was all cut out.

Steamthrower
04-21-2008, 08:21 AM
I'd guess...no, I'll bet...that none of you guys telnet into MUDs?

Red_Oddity
04-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Back to Assassin's Creed:
I think I'll just rush the last Assassinations and get it over with to see the full story. I'm not bored to tears with it yet, but I think I'll speed through it now as the repetitive nature is laid bare and there isn't much else left.

Maybe I'll give Stalker another play through... :)

Yes, unfortunatly, the last two fights are so insanely frustratingly difficult (and the computer cheats by making your hit invinsible until you've knocked them down x times) and are thus impossible to rush through.

...and sneaking another STALKER link in here, feature demo for Clear SKy has been released today : http://www.gamershell.com/news_48860.html

Medi8or
04-21-2008, 09:14 AM
I'd guess...no, I'll bet...that none of you guys telnet into MUDs?
I used to. Those were the days. 15 hours a day, and screwed up education..