PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Video

jnddepew
04-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Is it possible to save out the alpha as a video, instead of an image sequence when you are rendering an animation?

Thanks.

vfxwizard
04-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Is it possible to save out the alpha as a video, instead of an image sequence when you are rendering an animation?

If you want to keep the rendered image, I don't think it's possible. Hope someone else knows how.

In the unlikely event you want to build a video from the alpha and don't care about the color image apply MathFilter as a Pixel Filter in Image Processing. There, set r,g,b to Replace Color and type the letter a in the box below. This replaces color information with Alpha. Then set alpha to replace as well, but type 255 in the box so it's full on. Works like Shift Channels in After Effects.

UnCommonGrafx
04-13-2008, 08:03 AM
The inner kid says:
Why? What's the diff?

The Solution guy says:
Save out in a video format that has an alpha and DON'T use the color info in your comping app, only the alpha. Same difference, right?

The Oops Happens Paranoid says:
Do image sequences, man, cuz the demons'll crash that anim render and you won't have nuthin', man, nuthin'!

dbigers
04-13-2008, 05:09 PM
It is always best to save as image sequence unless you are doing small tests. That way if you crash you can pick up after the last frame rendered.

After you render the sequence you can then clear the scene and reimport the image sequence and use Lightwave to make the movie from the image sequence, just put it in the background.

If I am just testing motion and doing small res rendering without everything on, I will save to animation, but for final output I always use image sequences.