PDA

View Full Version : How best to handle huge scenes?

theWOODman
04-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Just wondering if anyone here knows how or knows of any links to some helpful info on how to handle setting up and rendering huge scenes in Layout?

I'm currently working on a WW2 themed scene and the Willys jeep I'm working on now is already chugging Modeler and I'm not even finished with it. I'm so used to working with ZBrush and it can handle millions of polys, but that's like comparing apples and oranges compared to Lightwave.

I know of image file formats like openEXR and the new XDepth file format which helps out some, but when it comes to lots of geometry, that's another story.

Surrealist.
04-12-2008, 09:29 AM
If you are using subpatches, turn all your display subpatches to 0 in Layout.

However, Layout will not be able to render a large scene if you do not have enough RAM. And it seems that headroom is needed because it is rarely ever is something you can predict by looking at the render status on RAM usage.

So that more than anything is going to be your stumbling block. You can use low res proxy objects that get replaced at render time and so on, but when it comes time to hit F9 or 10 you will tank out without RAM.

So the next solution is to render in stages and composite. Then of course 64 bit and as much ram as you can afford or your MB can handle. :)

markschum
04-12-2008, 09:45 AM
How many points and polygons are you up to ?

theWOODman
04-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the replys guys. At the moment I'm at roughly 50,000 points and that doesn't include the main body, characters, or background. When I'm in Sub D mode it really slows things down.

I like putting a lot of detail into my objects and being as accurate as I can.

I've never thought of doing the "object replace" method, maybe I'll give that a shot. At present I have 3 gigs of ram, but Windows only recognizes 2.79 gigs of that on a 32 bit system.

SplineGod
04-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Render in passes and then composite.

archijam
04-12-2008, 03:11 PM
.. plus HD Instance for repetetive geometry?

Remember that aside from the much publicized features, you can also tint your objects with a gradient of colours/shades, which together with scale and rotation adds alot of variation .. Check out this (http://www.happy-digital.com/instance_videoClips.php?videoClips=4) clip ..

Sounds like a nice project for some more WIP's ;) ...

toby
04-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Working in Layout is much faster with the viewports set to Shaded or Texture, wireframe is slowest.

As far as rendering huge scenes, expect to have memory problems when you get into millions of polys ( that's at rendertime, counting all polys after subdivision ) and hundreds of megs of textures, on a 32bit system. For help with lots of textures, google Infinimap Pro, it loads only the portion of texture maps that it needs to render. Even Terabyte-size maps can be used in LW. The developer is on this forum every day too; Lightwolf. This will allow you to use over 4 million polys as well, but if you have more than that, you'll need to break the scene into passes.

cresshead
04-13-2008, 08:13 PM
sarcasm on>>
launch 3dsmax 2009 and use mr proxies...billions of animated polys
sarcasm off<<

note billions is not a typo...ie thousands of millions of polys.

okay couln't help myself on that one!

tis only here for the HUGE hint that lightwave should get with it and implement
instancing and proxies...like 'now'

hrgiger
04-13-2008, 08:20 PM
I was working on a city model last year. I found the best way to work was with proxy objects. Stand ins for your higher rez objects. In the case of my city, I would have simple boxes to represent the approximate size and shape of my buildings. When I was modeling, I would only have the one building that I was working on and the rest were the stand-ins. Same in Layout.
Of course, if I were doing it now, I would make use of HDInstance as much as possible. Especially for streetlights, lamps, signs, and some of the more generic 'filler' buildings....

creacon
04-15-2008, 01:36 PM
1. Upgrade to 64 bit
2. Buy lots of RAM
3. Buy FPrime, it will allow you to render huge scenes on high resolution at a fraction of the time that LW would render them.

creacon

Just wondering if anyone here knows how or knows of any links to some helpful info on how to handle setting up and rendering huge scenes in Layout?

I'm currently working on a WW2 themed scene and the Willys jeep I'm working on now is already chugging Modeler and I'm not even finished with it. I'm so used to working with ZBrush and it can handle millions of polys, but that's like comparing apples and oranges compared to Lightwave.

I know of image file formats like openEXR and the new XDepth file format which helps out some, but when it comes to lots of geometry, that's another story.

Phil
04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
infiniMap
HDInstance

Normalmaps might well help as well, to give the impression of lots of detail on a basic mesh, though I have no significant experience with them.