PDA

View Full Version : Compositing

jburford
04-11-2008, 03:11 PM
How many here work with compositing their 3D work into larger projects or such? Do you mainly render out seperate images and alphas or do deeper work with Z-Buffer and such.

jburford
04-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Have been looking at that, seems to give a lot more control. Just have not made the full plunge yet.

AbnRanger
04-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Have been looking at that, seems to give a lot more control. Just have not made the full plunge yet.Multi-pass or render elements gives you the most control, and PNG is a nice format to save out to, as it's rather small in file size, but good quality.
If you don't want to deal with setting up all those passes, but want to be able to do some post work that allows you to apply 3d blur, dof, glows, and isolate individual objects or materials in the scene, you can simply save out to RPF or Open EXR format (selecting the appropriate channel information for what you want to do).

warrenwc
04-12-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't go that deep- I've tried multipass & like it ,but need more practice.
I HAVE found several quirks in PNGs & have stopped using them altogether.
I went back to TGA & compress to JPG when I need to post or send something.

Anti-Distinctly
04-14-2008, 01:56 AM
I've been working on a project and have started rendering out everything in passes using passport; http://www.lwpassport.com/ I'm finding it a very handy indeed, particularly as I'm dealing with so many scenes/shots and masses of files and passes.

I render out to a hdr format, openexr if it's available from whatever package I'm using or cineon otherwise. That way you get full floating point range and flexibility in your renders when comping.
I'm thinking about grabbing a copy of exrTrader.

Steamthrower
04-14-2008, 09:41 AM
For the limited amounts of stuff I composite, I normally render out to .png files to comp over plate.