PDA

View Full Version : Mac-Native CinePaint released (for MacIntel)

Johnny
04-11-2008, 11:30 AM
I about fell off my chair until I realized that this native mac release was for Intel-based macs only (so far?)

Anyone here using it?

I mention it here bcs of its importance in post-production workflow...

thanks!

J

toby
04-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Whoa! Can it compete with Photoshop? Or is it as goofy as Gimp - I've been waiting for an alternative (but not holding my breath). OpenEXR and HDR support! I have to try it -

- ah great, it's *not* UB.

Steamthrower
04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I'll have to confess that though CinePaint is an extremely nice program, and on top of that, it's free, I've rarely had the need for it. I only use it for correcting frame-by-frame errors, and for that it's simple enough to export a frame out of Final Cut Pro and knock it around in Photoshop. It's still a nice little program though.

Johnny
04-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Whoa! Can it compete with Photoshop? Or is it as goofy as Gimp - I've been waiting for an alternative (but not holding my breath). OpenEXR and HDR support! I have to try it -

heh..dunno about the goofy factor, but in terms of competing wiht Photoshop, perhaps..it works with 16-bit color images, which is pretty nice.

mainly, it's used to do things like get rid of dust, or wires used in making live-action films.. I'm pretty sure 3D actors have no use of wires ;-)

but I'm going to guess that some people here may combine 3D with live action, and therefore may have reason to use Cinepaint.

I've been waiting for the Aqua native version of Gimp myself...dunno if or when; I know that work has been done ON it, but as far as when it'll be ready...

J

archiea
04-23-2008, 10:05 AM
i haven't used cinepaint in years, but I found this on their website. If their HDR workflow is as seemless as it sounds, i would say that its a plus over "Photoshit". (full disclosure: I use photoshop almost everday and yet i don't care for its workflow. It should have transitioned to a hybrid, non-destructive nodal/layered type app half a decade ago, IMHO)

Top Reasons to Use CinePaint

Support for 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit color channels of deep paint.
High fidelity image file types such as DPX, OpenEXR and 16-bit TIFF. These files can't be opened in ordinary 8-bit image applications (e.g., GIMP) without crushing them.
High Dynamic Range. HDR images can go brighter than white. Ordinary images can't be brighter than a white sheet of paper (0=black, 1.0=white).
Gallery-quality printing. B&W photographs have only one color channel and degrade quickly when manipulated as 8-bit images. CinePaint has higher fidelity and offers a 16-bit printing path to the print-head using GutenPrint.
Color Management System. CinePaint uses LittleCMS.
Flipbook. Movie playback of short sequences of images in RAM.
Innovation. CinePaint offers features that go beyond ordinary painting tools.
It's used to make feature films at major studios.
Open Source. With various OSS licenses, because it uses code from various sources, including GPL, LGPL, BSD, and MPL.
Free.
Friendly professional developers. Polite discussion forums.
Being a CinePaint developer can be a good career move. CinePaint developers have gotten jobs at companies such as DreamWorks Animation, Sony Pictures Imageworks, and Apple.
Top Reasons Not to Use CinePaint

You're content with Adobe Photoshop, Corel Painter X, Corel Paint Shop Pro, GIMP, Krita, IrfanView, or Seashore.
No working Windows CinePaint version. Maybe in May.
CinePaint originated as a rewrite of the GIMP 8-bit engine in 1998 and still superficially resembles GIMP. However, CinePaint has implemented new features and reuses code from many projects.

Captain Obvious
04-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Cinepaint has full support for HDRs. Using the dodge and burn tools on an HDR to paint in blown-out areas is ace, but that's pretty much the only thing I like it for, and CS3 Extended does that too.

Besides, I'd rather just use Shake, even for stills...

Glendalough
04-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I tried this the other day -hate the way Adobe programs take so long to load- and it seemed pretty good (except it suddenly crashed) the few minutes it was running. Seemed much more together and elegant, better designed or something then Gimp. The 16/32 bit color channels and HDR could make it a real competitor, wonder if the X11 version is more stable?