PDA

View Full Version : Blur/focus issues!

sean hargreaves
04-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Hi guys,

Why is it when I have something out of focus and close to the camera, it is a 'jittered' blur. That is, it is a multiple of the object, and is slightly transparent depending on the amount of blurring or out of focus I'm wanting. It should be a single image blurred. I am animating also, I don't know if that matters.

Thanks!

sean hargreaves
04-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Hello...........!!????!?????

Errrrrrrrmmmmmmm................................an yone!!??????????

I'm open to suggestions, anything is welcome!

:D

wellsichris
04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
are you using perspective camera?
with the correct amount of antialiasing.

the classic camera probably does it the way lightwave used to. which sounds like what you are seeing. the perspective camera should do the trick. just make sure you have a low enough threshold on your adaptive sampling. to remove the noise.

Chris

sean hargreaves
04-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks Chris,

I changes the camera to perspective, and the threshhold to 0.1.

I'll see what that does.

S

sean hargreaves
04-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Ugghhh, its still doing the same thing. Multiples. I want softness, blurry. Is there anything else I can try?

S

wellsichris
04-11-2008, 12:38 PM
can you post a screen grab.

here's what I get with the real lens camera. you can use the perspective camera as well. no image filters. just in camera DOF. of course your scene has to be built to scale. this scene isn't it's just the radiosity box benchmark. that's why the f-stop is so low. anyway hope that helps.

sean hargreaves
04-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi Chris,

Here is my screenshot. I have the one model blurred, and the other clean.

s

wellsichris
04-11-2008, 01:21 PM
hmm. a picture of your settings could help. if you turn down the AA does it get grainy or just look like fewer layers? the correct process should get grainy. you're using 9.3 right? when it's rendering to you see it doing the layers or do you see it refining grain? again the correct process should be grain. that being said the way lightwave does DOF these days is correct and isn't a Gaussian blur. it's hard to tell from your picture, but you could be seeing a bokeh effect. here's a picture I took. you can see that even though things are out of focus you can see lines/edges. that pattern you have makes it hard to tell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

hope that helps,

Chris

sean hargreaves
04-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi Chris,

Heres a larger version of the blur. I'm trying to send you my camera properties.

S

sean hargreaves
04-11-2008, 02:26 PM
For some reason.....uggghhhh....I cant upload my screenshot of my camera properties.

lightripple
04-11-2008, 03:05 PM
the ploblem is you have to turn the motion blur to photoreal and not be on the classic cam...

sean hargreaves
04-11-2008, 04:07 PM
I have LW 9.0. There is no photoreal choice in motion blur. Also, I do have the camera on perspective camera.

This is a mystery........

lightripple
04-11-2008, 04:22 PM
That is how it was before the new motion blur...
upgrade!

sean hargreaves
04-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Oh!