PDA

View Full Version : Disintegrate an object

Thomas M.
04-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Is there a covenient way to disintegrate a model? Let's say in a certain area of the model the polygons get displaced in an "unwelded" state, they move away from their original position, while they maintain their shape and get rotated in certain ways. It might look a bit like a papers which get blown away from their original position by wind or some textured displacement. The amount of polygons I need will be around 100.000 and I intend to use these polygons as a reference for HD-Instance which I don't own yet.

Is there an option?

Cheers
Thomas

colkai
04-11-2008, 06:49 AM
I'm guessing you've already looked at CraKit and C4 and they don't fit the bill?

Thomas M.
04-11-2008, 06:52 AM
No?! But I don't need to disintegrate it in Modeler, but in Layout. And the polygon borders are sufficient. I just can't think of a way how to keep the shape of each polygon constant, while each polygon moves and rotates in its own way.

avkills
04-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Maybe use hard fx? You can shrink the size of the polys in layout to unweld them.

-mark

colkai
04-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Colour me mr thicko but I thought to explode in sections, you'd need to have the item split.

Changing poly size can give the effect of exploding I think as I think I did something like that once. However, not sure if that is doable over parts / surfaces.
Nodes maybe? he says, optimistically. ;)

Thomas M.
04-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Well, for the amount of polys I need I can't put the stuff on seperate layers. What I need to be able to control is a vector for each poly (created by a node displacement) for the new position and the rotation around it's own pivot (the one of each poly). I don't need to control it for each polys, but via weights or textures for areas of the object.

Imagine a flat box with 100x100 polys. At one point this poly carpet needs to disintegrate into the single polys, as if a wind would blow each poly away. It doesn't need to be animated as it is for a still.

adamredwoods
04-11-2008, 11:11 AM
I usually use a separate object, unwelded. Then apply hardFX.

oobievision
04-11-2008, 11:42 AM
so much like lets say a block of sand being blown away by the wind from top to bottom?

RTSchramm
04-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I would also use two identical objects, one solid and one with the polygons un-welded. A the moment of impact the solid and the un-welded object would appear in the same x,y,z position, but the solid object would disappear and the un-welded object would appear. At this point you can apply soft dynamics, gravity, etc to the un-welded object (two -sided) and use the wind effector to blow it apart in any fashion you want. Should be fairly easy to do.

I believe there is a tutorial on LW site that explains how to switch two objects.

Rich

avkills
04-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Seeing how it is for a still, just make a mesh of unwelded polys needed and apply some form of dynamics.

-mark

JBT27
04-12-2008, 05:15 AM
But definitely keep FX_HardLink in there to keep each island intact.....

Julian.