PDA

View Full Version : To wave or not to wave? That is the question.

9pointpoo
04-11-2008, 06:07 AM
I was thinking of buying Lightwave, but many people that I work with tell me that LW wont be around for very much longer, and I would have wasted my money.

Would I be better off using blender with an external renderer?

pooby
04-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Hello Mr Nine point poo,

I dont remember Newtek announcing that LW was coming to an end.

The best you'll get with starting a thread like this is dragging other Lightwave poo-pooers in to partially agree that LW might be on the way out, then having some LW fans come in and go on about how it might not be used as much as the others, but it's just as powerful. Then people like me pointing out that its not. Then others going on about how its the best value for money and others agreeing and saying that LW rocks (with a smiley) and then people complaining that this is the same old thread repeating and should get closed down, then others ignoring that and going on about all the free render nodes that you wont get with an external blender renderer, then others suggesting that Modo might be a better choice depending on what you want etc etc.

If you really want to know the truth for sure you can't because you dont know what newtek have up their sleeve you'll just have to read up on similar threads to this and make a judgement yourself, but it will all be based on nothing but speculation.

tudor
04-11-2008, 06:24 AM
Ppl have been proclaiming that for over 10 years, and its still here.
(And kicks ***)

9pointpoo
04-11-2008, 06:28 AM
Hello Mr Nine point poo,

I dont remember Newtek announcing that LW was coming to an end.

The best you'll get with starting a thread like this is dragging other Lightwave poo-pooers in to partially agree that LW might be on the way out, then having some LW fans come in and go on about how it might not be used as much as the others, but it's just as powerful. Then people like me pointing out that its not. Then others going on about how its the best value for money and others agreeing and saying that LW rocks (with a smiley) and then people complaining that this is the same old thread repeating and should get closed down, then others ignoring that and going on about all the free render nodes that you wont get with an external blender renderer, then others suggesting that Modo might be a better choice depending on what you want etc etc.

If you really want to know the truth for sure you can't because you dont know what newtek have up their sleeve you'll just have to read up on similar threads to this and make a judgement yourself, but it will all be based on nothing but speculation.

Thanks for your reply, I think.
After reading through some of the other threads on this forum its easy to see that LW is not in a good spot. I will probably go with blender or xsi.

You are right NT should close all those threads cause it just cost them a sale!

Thanks again,
9pointpoo

archijam
04-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Dear 9 point poo,

Your username clearly shows you are a disgruntled LW user trying to stir up things. Move on and leave the rest of us in peace ...

9pointpoo
04-11-2008, 06:37 AM
We use max at work, but I got some side work, and was looking for something cheaper then max.
Modo isnt an option for what I need to do.
I will go with blender till I need to render then I will see what happens.

9pointpoo
04-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Dear 9 point poo,

Your username clearly shows you are a disgruntled LW user trying to stir up things. Move on and leave the rest of us in peace ...

Wrong! 9pointpoo was the name I chose after reading through the forums, and seeing what other people are saying.

Thanks for your advices. This isnt the forum for me!

colkai
04-11-2008, 06:46 AM
We use max at work, but I got some side work, and was looking for something cheaper then max.
Modo isnt an option for what I need to do.
I will go with blender till I need to render then I will see what happens.

If you are serious, then I would of thought XSI Foundations would be a more likely candidate. Cheaper than Modo and pretty much industry standard.

Gettign in with foundations means should a studio use one of the higher spec'd versions, you're already familiar.

Though Blender is free, it has to me, and many others, been an exercise in frustration despite it's power. Of course, you can't argue over the price.

Lightwave is undergoing change, still capable, but a lot depends really on exactly what you want from a package, the 3D area is huge and it's no good buying a package great at character animation of you're doing ArchViz etc.. etc.. etc..

As to the forums, by and large, very very helpful, but your initial post and username don't inspire the warmest of receptions.

archijam
04-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Wrong! 9pointpoo was the name I chose after reading through the forums, and seeing what other people are saying.

Riiight ...
So guess your Blender username will be theGUIsucks, and your max forum username was MAXisAripoff.

Are you sure you chose to leave?

NVentive
04-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Anyone who thinks LW is 'going away' isn't involved in Television.....

Hopper
04-11-2008, 07:18 AM
There's the door. Thanks fer playin.

lightripple
04-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Anyone who thinks LW is 'going away' isn't involved in Television.....

We will see? Just because its still used doesn't mean its still being developed!
I Will be surprised if we see a LW 10.

colkai
04-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Durrrr - ok, TroLls R us I guess.
I didn't know kindergarden was out this week. ;) :p

Nicolas Jordan
04-11-2008, 08:39 AM

:ohmy:

lightripple
04-11-2008, 08:41 AM

No trolling about it!
Do you think NT will put money out of their pockets to update a software that probably wont sell.
And we know the preorder thing aint going to fly again!
Just a thought.

geothefaust
04-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Oh geez. Is this the 'Multiple Personalities of Bryphi' thread? Watch out, he's out in force today. All of them (personalities, that is)!

lightripple
04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
... people who have hidden User-CP dont have the right to be so critic, I see this many here in forum, I dont belive they are aware to do anything CG...

? what are you saying?

eagleeyed
04-11-2008, 08:46 AM
We will see? Just because its still used doesn't mean its still being developed!
I Will be surprised if we see a LW 10.

Wow, what a negative thread.
You will be surprised then. Jay has already made it clear that they are planning LW 10, by announcing in the 3D World article that they may not offer free .x updates in future releases.

As for NewTek going under if thats what you meant by not seeing LW10. I highly doubt that. A company that is in financal strife will not be hiring new staff on a regular basis which NewTek seem to be doing.

Plus they also have TriCaster, SpeedEdit, VT and Rendition, which are all seperate products. Tricaster especially seems to be a very popular product. I have seen many in the places I have gone too.

LightWave has fallen behind in recent times, but it is catching up at a very good pace, and I am confident one day LightWave will be a leader again, no time soon, but I am noticing more and more people talking about it everyday.

I was a MAX learner until someone told me about LW, I was very reluctant at first because I had heard nothing about it, but when I visited the site and visited the forums I was sold.

My friends who use Max, when I tell them about the forums they are regularly shocked, and one has since switched to LW because of the forums and how helpful.

To shorten it up, I dont anticipate LightWave disappearing for a long long time. Considering they are developing Rendition now, I dont think a company would develop a new plug-in for a product they would be considering dropping.

My two cents.

lightripple
04-11-2008, 08:47 AM
... if you dont can show what you did, than you dont are aware...

What? If you cant speak english then use bablefish!

Are you asking for some of my work?

lightripple
04-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Here is something I have been working on.
link (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21567)

I hope it is good enough for you!

archijam
04-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Wow, what a negative thread.

Eagleeyed ... don't take the bait ;)

This thread is going nowhere with great speed.

I think along with the general economic downturn, comments become more negative .. something's 'in the air' at the moment ...

lightripple
04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
here is another one...

mosconariz
04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
here is another one...
wow, I'm amazed, ILM or weta quality! (sarcasm)

Lightwave (not lightripple) has a great future, the only thing you have to do is watch all the improvements since 8.5 to 9.5 (not point poo, i think that's another software)

lightripple
04-11-2008, 10:22 AM
wow, I'm amazed, ILM or weta quality! (sarcasm)

Lightwave (not lightripple) has a great future, the only thing you have to do is watch all the improvements since 8.5 to 9.5 (not point poo, i think that's another software)

Never claimed weta/ilm quality... I am using LW remember!
I would comment on your reel, but the image quality was so poor I could barely see it! I think that was done purposely... cause it was not weta or ilm quality either...

pooby
04-11-2008, 10:32 AM

Oh well, I said at best.

adamredwoods
04-11-2008, 11:07 AM
I would recommend LW if you need a SubD modeler to render pipeline with some animation or general 3D features.

I would recommend Modo if you wanted a robust 3D modeling package with render support.

I would recommend Maya or Max if you were looking for a job in the industry.

I would recommend Cinema4D if you were into Motion graphics and after effects with general 3D support and easy-to-use UI.

I would recommend XSI if you wanted a solid generalist 3D package, with emphasis on scripting/technical features.

I would recommend Blender if you wanted to have a package with all the latest tech advances, and needed heavy scripting/tech usage, and little use for a UI.

....So basically it boils down to a person's specific needs and wants. There is no one package that will give everything.

Marvin Miller
04-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Let's stop with the insults. :stop:

For the record, LightWave development is going strong and will continue to be developed. It is used for numerous projects in television, film, arch-viz, and many other industries.

:lwicon:

lightripple
04-11-2008, 11:17 AM
We shall see! You work for NT... so you would be the last to know!

Marvin Miller
04-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Not really worried...

I work for NewTek and I know things you don't know. :D

:lwicon:

lardbros
04-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Never claimed weta/ilm quality... I am using LW remember!
I would comment on your reel, but the image quality was so poor I could barely see it! I think that was done purposely... cause it was not weta or ilm quality either...

just because you use Lightwave doesn't cause your render to be poor. I've seen terrible work from EVERY MAJOR package available, and some INCREDIBLE work from Blender, RayDream Designer and other pieces of old or free software. Lightwave is much more than capable of rendering out photoreal images... and i'll attach some of them if you want....

Nope, NOT done by me, but done in Lightwave nonetheless! and to be quite honest you'd be hard pushed to find some better images of humans anywhere. and these were done in Lightwave before the node editor or any SSS nodes! Incredible!

To be honest Marvin, this thread could possibly be closed now... it's getting a bit out of hand in my book! Who'd have seen this coming? Pooby that's who!

lightripple
04-11-2008, 11:45 AM
just because you use Lightwave doesn't cause your render to be poor. I've seen terrible work from EVERY MAJOR package available, and some INCREDIBLE work from Blender, RayDream Designer and other pieces of old or free software. Lightwave is much more than capable of rendering out photoreal images... and i'll attach some of them if you want....

Nope, NOT done by me, but done in Lightwave nonetheless!

You shouldnt be posting work if it isnt yours!!!!
Plus I think that this image looks more real then either of the ones you posted.IMHO

*Pete*
04-11-2008, 11:45 AM
I wonder if there are any traditional artists fighting over different types of pens or painting tools and blaming the tools for the lack of results, or if this behavior is mainly CG specific?

lardbros
04-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Plus I think that this image looks more real then either of the ones you posted.IMHO

Haha, oh right, you're a joker.

I can post other people's work, why not.. oh look i just did!! I told EVERYONE it wasn't mine and i'll tell you who did it, Jacques De Fontaine. I don't believe you should be telling anyone what to do in these forums. If you were moderator then fine, but you're clearly not, so why bother rubbing people up the wrong way? You should get a girlfriend

*Pete*
04-11-2008, 11:50 AM

nice...eh..speakers?..done in LW? btw, check the date of the pictures posted by Lardbros, Bryphi..they are done 5 years ago..in, what LW 6?

do you think that the capability of LW didnt advance since then, and that the artist behind those images cant do better today with LW 9.5 (9.31)?

either way..im not trying to disrespect you for the images you posted here, but if you say that LW is basically useless and you cant do similiar pictures as posted by Lardbros, it speaks more of your ability as an artist, than the quality of the tool you use.

lightripple
04-11-2008, 12:00 PM
but if you say that LW is basically useless and you cant do similiar pictures as posted by Lardbros, it speaks more of your ability as an artist, than the quality of the tool you use.

I never said that! I said that those pictures arent that real looking...I have seen better done in LW.

I does sound like you are trying to insult me... even though you say your not!

The only reason I even posted any images is because someone said I wasnt aloud to speak about LW untill they saw my work.

OOZZEE
04-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Oh geez. Is this the 'Multiple Personalities of Bryphi' thread? Watch out, he's out in force today. All of them (personalities, that is)!

NT - time to call the authorities to 'help' this very unstable person. his incessant dillusions of 'successfully de-stabilizing a product like LW is boggling' if he thinks he can accomplish such a thing here.... sorry 'sybil' but this is annoying and just try to get over it and move on. You sound like someone who needs medication & I pity the people close to you who have to deal with such a temperment like yours. You are truly and completely in need of a psychiatric help. NOW PI$$ OFF if you dont mind.

rakker16mm
04-11-2008, 12:48 PM
9pointpoo

lightripple

They have been using Lightwave unhappily for years and have joined now to tell us about it? How fascinating is that?

jcupp
04-11-2008, 01:06 PM
No trolling about it!
Do you think NT will put money out of their pockets to update a software that probably wont sell.
And we know the preorder thing aint going to fly again!
Just a thought.

And how do you know how many copies of Lightwave will sell. I suspect, being a reseller, I have a better idea than you do and from what I can see 3D is a mature market and sales will be fairly stable for the near (year or two) future.

AbnRanger
04-11-2008, 01:57 PM
? what are you saying?I'm saying to you 2 Trolls, "Get somehwere and shut up!"

Marvin Miller
04-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Seeing that what's needed to be said has been said, it's time to close this thread.