PDA

View Full Version : So and Endomorph walks into a bar...

TripD
04-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Cheap shot I know, but I need some help over hyar! :help:

I'm working on something where I need a cylinder that can vary it's length so that it constantly spans between 2 animated points. I tried a morph with a proximity modifier. It worked fine for the length, but messed the shape up pretty bad. I also tried a clip map, but can't figure out how to only clip the extra length off. I would go as far as to try a cloth effect, but there needs to be 80 of these cylinders, so I want to keep it cpu simple. No doubt I'm missing something really easy, but I'm not the sharpest 3 point poly on the render farm.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Surrealist.
04-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Fixing the points on two ends would work with cloth effects. To make it CPU simple use a 2 point poly chain. Apply dynamics to that and then link the high poly objects to them with metalink plug in. William Vaughn has a tutorial on that here in the sticky of this section.

TripD
04-10-2008, 08:02 PM
thanx a mill for the quick reply... I'm onto those videos as I type this! :)

TripD
04-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Hmmm..... I can do everything except make the cloth ends follow the 2 points.

Surrealist.
04-11-2008, 02:19 AM
Sorry, I wasn't reading your post very clearly obviously.

Let's back up. You need these cylinders to remain hard body?

And what exactly is the effect? What is this supposed to be? What real world material is it supposed to be and what exactly is the animation?

Answers to these questions will narrow down the method you can use and get away with it.

TripD
04-11-2008, 01:56 PM
No worries, and thanx for replying. Let me try something today first. I will try using my morph trick on a 2 point poly chain first, this will give me the length I need between the points. Then I can maybe link the cylinders to the chain.

Oh.... this whole idea came about because of a string art exhibit in a local coffee shop. As I was daydreaming I imagined animating those pegs around. So, the cylinders (strings) really don't have to be 'real world'.

Surrealist.
04-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Oh, I see cool.

Let us know how it goes.

TripD
04-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Well, I got things to work great with just the 2 point poly chain. Endormorphs cannot distort those guys, only scale them. :thumbsup:

But, now I wonder why endomorphs are stored as x,y,z info. Does it make for more complications if the endomorphs were stored as vector information instead? Granted there would have to be 5 pieces of info instead of 3,
origin, magnitude, h,p,b. But, it would make rotational changes doable. Atleast it seems so at first glance.

Surrealist.
04-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Cool. Glad to hear it.

Yea that is the way it is set up. To do curved morphs you have to set up several small incremental linear morphs.

There are is a technique for an eye lid and some cool plugins that I have seen Lary Shultz demonstrate (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/) you might find useful.

UnCommonGrafx
04-14-2008, 04:41 AM
TripD,
Send that in as a feature request! Makes sense. A great deal of sense.