PDA

View Full Version : Need help with snow

Exception
04-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey all,

For my chapel landscape scenes, I want to make a winter landscape with thick snow. Does any of you know a fast method of creating snow without having to hand model everything?
Perhaps a plugin that deposits chunks of polys from above?
Any techniques? It's a big landscape and a complex scene, I'd rather avoid doing this by hand.

thanks!

kopperdrake
04-10-2008, 04:48 PM
There used to be a plugin called 'Face It' which would let you choose all polygons facing a chosen direction (in this case 'up'). You could then scatter points over only those polygons and perhaps use those points to add hypervoxel snow? Never tried it but it might work?

Also you might want to check out the plugin RandomCloner http://plugins.polas.net/plugins/cloner.php - it'll scatter polygons (object) over a surface but exclude any polygons over a certain angle of incline. Might also do the trick.

PhantomPhish
04-10-2008, 05:12 PM
ClothFX, use a stiff cloth and let gravity do it's thing? You might be able to set up a heap of patches and only need to tweak them a bit afterward??

Sekhar
04-10-2008, 05:27 PM
If this is a regular thing, you might want to look at Vue xStream - very easy to produce some good looking snow and landscapes from within LW.

Surrealist.
04-10-2008, 07:39 PM
This tutorial has a little bit about snow on it that might work for you, maybe only for parts of it, such as mountains or even trees. It might give you some other ideas.

Landscape Tutorial. (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/surface/texturing/texturing_landscape_2.html)

bjornkn
04-11-2008, 03:11 AM
For chunks of snow I would think that hd_instance would be a great choice?
For the smooth parts I use this technique to raise the "ground", in SketchUp, as is shown on this intermediate SU image.
I use different materials on the ground (roads, around houses etc), the edge of the road, and the terrain (snow) around, so that they are easily selected.
Then I simply select the "snow" and moves it upwards 1m, 3m or whatever I need. I Making this a copy of the summer terrain I can easily make several seasons in the same file by keeping them on different layers, and they all share the same ground/roads.
In LW you could also easily use smoothing and jittering to make it look more convincing. Add ski tracks, foot steps, holes/bumps around the trees etc.

I'd love to see a good tutorial for making snow covered trees though, both conifers and bare branches :)

Exception
04-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks.. all good ideas.. I have Vue 5 infinite, paerhap sI can do something like that. If not I'll try the suggestions... thanks!

archijam
04-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Check out the aurora intro to the SpinQuad winter challenge .. there were some good little tutes in there ...

Exception
04-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Here are the results. Thanks for all the help, this is as good as I could come up with in half a day...

kopperdrake
04-14-2008, 06:39 PM
nice work - what technique did you go with in the end?

Exception
04-14-2008, 06:56 PM
nice work - what technique did you go with in the end?

Purely a geometrical one...
I took all the non-path polygons and used multibevel to raise and smooth them, then jittered the polygons on a contracted selection. For the chapel itself I used Dselect, and excellent script that has received great support from its maker to select all the Y+ facing polygons, then I copied those onto another layer, did the same multishift on them and made them metanurbs. Some adjustments here and there and used a surface with a slope gradient to change the shading a bit depending on the angle, and a bump map. That was it.

Andyjaggy
04-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh man I wish I could remember the plugin, it was in the older days and it would take your geometry and then wrap geometry over the top of it but it would break where things stuck up such as trees. Make sense? Someone once made a peanut chocolate bar with it. Ring a bell anyone?

Puguglybonehead
04-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Exception, your snow solution turned out pretty good. I've seen snow in real life that looks very much like that. (I've seen more kinds of snow than I care to remember). Good job! :thumbsup:

RenderBlur
04-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Oh man I wish I could remember the plugin, it was in the older days and it would take your geometry and then wrap geometry over the top of it but it would break where things stuck up such as trees. Make sense? Someone once made a peanut chocolate bar with it. Ring a bell anyone?

I was just looking at this the other day, it's here:

http://www.polas.net/plugins/terrain.php

and this is where it's used to make a chocolate bar:

http://www.polas.net/tutorials/tutorial03.php

It does look like a nice way to things look like they are snow covered.

prometheus
04-15-2008, 05:18 AM
using hypervoxels surface mode directly on the geometry and weight mapped controlled or a cloned object at certain areas or selecting points directly from the geometry copy and paste to other layers and use hypervoxel on that.

you could copy the base terrain first and paste to other layers and increase
divisions to get more points/denser voxels only where you want them.
That can also be controlled by setting subdivision layer in layout much higher for the snow object.

Andyjaggy
04-15-2008, 08:11 AM
Yep that's what I was thinking of. Seems like it could work for snow pretty well.