PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with windows XP?

kosmodave
04-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if there has been something changed with the way file dialogs work on Windows XP. Was playing around with Lightwave 9.5
and tried to change my content directory when the program suddenly exited leaving me starring at my desktop. This happend regularly so I put it down to a build problem. I then opened Premier Pro CS3 and when I tried to import a file into the program when it instantly shut down when the file dialog appeared. This also now happens with Encore as well making all three programs unusable.
I posted this here as I do not think this is a Lightwave 9.5 problem and I am sure it would have been noted by someone else as well. I have not installed anything new that I can think of so I assume it could be due to a windows update.
Any ideas:help:

Thanx in advance.
Dave

Dexter2999
04-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Did you try powering down completely and rebooting?

kosmodave
04-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Yes, I even left it off for day. I have since spotted another thread on the subject which was suggesting a possible hardware problem. Any suggestions on how to track that down? are there any programs that systematically check
all your hardware?

Thanks for your quick responce Dexter.

warrenwc
04-10-2008, 04:51 PM
It sound like Windows Explorer may be corrupt.:thumbsdow
You might have to reinstall or rollback.
Try opening explorer(Windows-not Inernet) & flip through some folders.
If it crashes- that's probably the problem.

bobakabob
04-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Hmmm, I noticed some odd quirks with XP recently.

My PC downloaded automatic updates a couple of days ago and rebooted - since then it's very slow booting up and occasionally hangs. :(

Any advice / suggestions (apart from disabling auto updates)?

warrenwc
04-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I'd check your major drivers.
Usually when a Windows update breaks something, it's a driver.
Sometimes getting the latest version will fix it.

bobakabob
04-12-2008, 04:48 AM
Thanks, I've uninstalled the recent Hotfix for IE and it boots up fine.

kosmodave
04-12-2008, 06:49 AM
I reinstalled the main hard drive from a Mirror image that I created once I had the system up and running with all my main programs installed. It lasted about four hours and then the same problem reoccured. I keep all of my main program save data in MyDocs folder so that I only need to backup one folder before a format and reinstall. The dialog problem seemed to come back after I copied all my files back to MyDocs directory, so perhaps there is something in there. I have formatted yet again and reinstalled from the Image backup but have not copied back my program files. One day later and all is OK.
As a matter of interest I have performed a complete check disk and a complete verification of all the system dll files and all seems Ok. Plus I have successfully completed a full virus scan of all connected drives. I can only presume that there is a corrupt save file in my program data backup.:confused:

warrenwc
04-12-2008, 10:23 AM
It STILL sound like a problem with Explorer to me. The My Docs thing is strange, but if just bringing up the file/folder dialog crashes, that's Explorer wigging out for some reason.
You COULD have disc problems that standard Windows tools can't see.
Spinrite is $80 but it's (in MY opinion) the finest disc fixer made;
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
I'm sure there are other open source(free) tools that do deeper disc analysis that Windows stuff, but that's where I'd look next.

Jim_C
04-12-2008, 12:12 PM
It STILL sound like a problem with Explorer to me.

yea.. or a bad corrupt file that chokes explorer whenever it tries to read it.

can you move your fies back into My Docs in smaller chunks?
then test after each move.
see if you can narrow down the file (if it is a single file)