PDA

View Full Version : .3DS export suggestions...

Ty Catt
04-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Hello,

I am currently working in a forensic software which deals in .3DS for it's objects.

I have some viable .LWO objects which would be useful in the project, too.

Any suggestions as to how to reduce the .LWO for .3DS parameters.?.

I'm not too familiar with .3DS other than it seems to be a low polygonal count.

Just merge points, reduce polys, QUEM loss?:help:

Any methods?

Thanks!

Ty

JeffrySG
04-10-2008, 09:28 AM
I don't think the .3ds file is low poly. But I do think that it needs tris only. So you might want to triple your LW object first before export, or put in the tris where you feel they will go best.

That being said if you're looking to lower the poly count of the models quem loss might be a good way to go...

Ty Catt
04-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Jeffry,

Your're right- a combo of all of the above.

And LW was telling me there was a 65K polygon limit as an error when I tried to export over that limit.

All set, thanks for your help, keep the tutorials coming!

Ty

JeffrySG
04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks Ty...

Glad you got it working... I was not aware of a poly limit with 3ds exporting out of LW, so thanks for that bit of info! :)

MicroMouse
04-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Only triangles can be written to a 3DS file.

Texture names follow the old 8.3 limit. 8 characters for the name and 3 for the file extension. Even though the file format will allow longer names, 3DS Max follows the original file spec and will only read the 8.3 names.

There is a 65K limit per mesh stored to the 3DS file. Multiple meshes can be written to the file and this is done by third party file converters.

Layer and material names have a 10 character maximum limit.

Wayne

JeffrySG
04-11-2008, 09:27 PM
^that's great info to know on the file format MM! :)

archijam
04-12-2008, 07:29 AM
And when it comes to beautiful conversions from LW, may I suggest Accutrans3D, a very affordable and effective option .. ;)

At least this is the way I always do it.

For your info, if you want to go for some reason in the opposite direction and bring triangulated meshes into LW, and turning three sided faces into quads in LW, look for MergeTrigonsX on Flay.com

MicroMouse
04-12-2008, 10:35 PM
And when it comes to beautiful conversions from LW, may I suggest Accutrans3D, a very affordable and effective option .. ;)

At least this is the way I always do it.

For your info, if you want to go for some reason in the opposite direction and bring triangulated meshes into LW, and turning three sided faces into quads in LW, look for MergeTrigonsX on Flay.com

If you are using AccuTrans, you can use the "Tools -> Triangles to Quads" menu command to turn triangles into quads. Use the "Prefs -> Options" menu command to open a dialog box to change two settings that affect the creation of quads.

Wayne

archijam
04-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Thanks Wayne .. never saw that functionality! Actually I use it quite often, but when I do, I always find it's been updated in the meantime :P .. makes me feel very unproductive ..