PDA

View Full Version : Are there enough players for a COD4 LW clan?

Thomas M.
04-10-2008, 06:53 AM
I just wonder. Would be cool to play with some of you guys in the evening. We would just need to be sure everybody has the same patch installed. I'm in Europe and there are a lot of guys from Poland and Russia on the servers.

Cheers
Thomas

BigHache
04-10-2008, 09:10 AM
I play most every evening. Will Steam auto download patches or is that a manual thing I need to download install?

Thomas M.
04-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I meant the patches for the PC like 1.4 or 1.5. All players need to have the same patch installed, otherwise you won't see the same servers listed.

oobievision
04-10-2008, 10:00 AM
steam should automatically keep your client up to date. if it isnt then go to file "check for steam client updates"

Thomas M.
04-11-2008, 07:50 AM
So, which server?!

OOZZEE
04-11-2008, 08:10 AM
can console join a pc game ?

Thomas M.
04-11-2008, 08:47 AM
No, idea. I'm on a PC. And you?

BigHache
04-11-2008, 12:56 PM
This link (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071212014454AA62fS7) says no. And I believe the xbox live network is its own beast.

Snosrap
04-12-2008, 07:40 PM
So there are no 360 Call of Duty4 players out there?

Snosrap

GraphXs
04-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm a COD4 360 player!

Thomas M.
04-13-2008, 04:26 AM
What the hell is 360 COD4?

Snosrap
04-13-2008, 09:33 AM
What the hell is 360 COD4?

Excuse me. Are you serious? Apparently not about gaming.:D

Cheers
Snosrap

Thomas M.
04-13-2008, 11:46 AM
O.k, I guess it's XBox 360. Thought it's a new COD4 version or game type ...

IMI
04-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I haven't played COD since version 2. THAT I played online *alot* for a while there, but got kind of bored with it after several weeks. I never even finished the first level in the regular game, either.
But I've been thinking about getting COD 4. Is it much better than COD 2? I don't really trust the game review sites and game trailers are almost always misleading. Naturally, they make everything look cool.

Snosrap
04-13-2008, 02:57 PM
I haven't played COD since version 2. THAT I played online *alot* for a while there, but got kind of bored with it after several weeks. I never even finished the first level in the regular game, either.
But I've been thinking about getting COD 4. Is it much better than COD 2? I don't really trust the game review sites and game trailers are almost always misleading. Naturally, they make everything look cool.

The single player game is very linear as usual with Infinity Ward games and very scripted. (Hate that) I always get the feeling that most of the game studios would rather be making movies instead of games. I say, make a sandbox and let the players do as they want and use their own imagination for the story element. I've played all the Halo games through countless times (best single player shooter ever IMO) and don't have a clue or care about the story element and only watched the cut scenes the first time through just to see the graphics and animation. I only played COD4 and Gears once through just to prepare me for online which has been really fun. My biggest gripe about COD4 is that there is no real consequences for dying, therefore it's very unrealistic in that everyone plays like Rambo and their lives are totally meaningless. Sure you can call in a chopper if you stay alive and get seven kills, but still do you really think that if it were real everyone would be running around like they do and don't use any strategy. I don't think so. I guess being an older gamer (50) I grew up in a time when sometimes all you had was your imagination to entertain yourself and now kids need to be spoon fed with story elements in game. Anyway I have enjoyed the online aspect of COD4, but it would be a lot more fun to be part of a clan and play together using strategy and communication, which the 360 is greatly suited for but for the most part is not used during play. So if anyone would like to look me up online and send out a friend request to play together that would great. My gamer tag is Snosrap.

Cheers
Snosrap

jburford
04-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm a COD4 360 player!

Here Also!!! In Europe, Look for user xGCx FFM Jeff on X-Live and simply send a friend request. Can gladly play COD4 or any other for that matter.

Cheers

Thomas M.
04-13-2008, 03:34 PM
So, no PC gamers among us?

IMI
04-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the rundown on it, Snosrap. I might give it a try.
I agree about the "no consequences" thing. That's what bugs me about COD 2 and other similar games. Too bad someone couldn't design these games to be a real team thing with a real strategy. As it is, just running around shooting people gets kind of old. By the time I got any good at COD 2 and could last through most of a map and get alot of kills, I was pretty much over it.

Agreed too about the linear nature of some games. This is why I'm so big into The Elder Scrolls, Morrowind and Oblivion. Definitely not linear, and the whole world is open to you at all times. Well, there are a few quests which remove you from the main world in Oblivion, but it's a necessary thing and part of the game.

I never tried Halo, believe it or not. I might be the only one in the world who hasn't. ;)
But, you're saying it's *that* good? Better than Half-Life 2 as far as FPS games go? Is there a mod engine for it?

IMI
04-13-2008, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I am. I've been playing games strictly with a PC ever since my Atari 20 years ago. ;)

Kryos
04-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm a PC gamer and I have COD4..... lol

Jim_C
04-13-2008, 03:40 PM

I am, and I do have COD4.
I'm not all that great, but I'll join in when I can if something is formed.

Too bad someone couldn't design these games to be a real team thing with a real strategy.

Team Fortress2 is a great team strategy game. With the different abilites of the players it can be a bit of a chess match

Steamthrower
04-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm planning on buying CoD4 as soon as it's released for Mac (just upgraded my MBP to 3GBs of RAM).

I would definitely join a LW clan. From what I've seen it's pretty amazing. I also like CS:S a lot, and anything in that genre is fine by me.

OOZZEE
04-13-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm on PS3..... so I guess this will make it very difficult to link.

Thomas M.
04-14-2008, 03:23 AM
So, let's try to find several clans for the different console types. I'll try to bring together the PC gamers (Mac?) and it'll be cool if a 360 or PS3 gamer could arrange something for their own folks.

My favourite servers (with low pings) are:

AustriaESports
DeadlyForces (Dominaty or TDM)
(UN)NoobsUNite!
*Goldmember*YeahBaby

I'm still playing with the 1.4 patch, but wouldn't mind to install 1.5 if necessary.

Cheers
Thomas

Kryos
04-14-2008, 03:01 PM
I play with 1.5 myself. I love my P90. :D

Thomas M.
04-15-2008, 02:06 AM
O.k., wouldn't mind to download the 1.5 patch. Which servers do you play on?

Mitja
04-15-2008, 03:41 AM
COD4 on PC here too! If you are willing to accept one more player, I'm ready!

CMT
04-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Just got finished with the single player campaign on COD4. It was a bit short I thought.

Played a few online matches as well. Pretty fun. Just got to get used to it. I'm a 42 in Halo 3, but in COD4 I'm like a newborn thrust into a war. Still learning the levels.

Gamertag is KrakenCMT. I'm not online as much as I used to be. Too many projects popped up lately. But I do manage to find time off and on.

Steamthrower
04-15-2008, 08:11 AM
I'm actually one of three admins at a local LAN this week. COD4 is one of the tournaments...along with CSS. I'll test COD4 out and see how I like it...but a clan definitely sounds good. I know how to build clan websites...we might just need one!

Thomas M.
04-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi, CMT. I guess I've seen you once during gameplay. Just updated to 1.5 and there are now about 9000 servers available. Any chance to meet some of you guys? What time, which server?

CMT
04-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey Thomas. Sorry, I guess I should have stated that I'm on a 360 as well....

I'd be up for playing with you guys sometime for those on 360. But I already have a clan (not an official one though) with some other buddies called the Iron Chiefs. We might be getting into COD4. Only a couple of us have the game right now. Mainly we're a bunch of Halo nutz. But if you guys ever get together for a 360 COD 4 night, let me know. I could prolly get the guys together for some online carnage....

Kryos
04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Myself, I play on whatever server pops up with a decent number of people and a decent ping. Have no specific servers myself. And I generally only play TDM.

Kryos
04-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Oh, and as well, I mainly play through steam, though I use a retail copy of the game. Makes finding people easier I think. My steamID is kryos go figure. Hehehe.

zapper1998
04-15-2008, 02:30 PM
COD 4 PC Player here

Play it all the time..

Thomas M.
04-15-2008, 11:39 PM
So, how do we meet then (virtually)?

Kyros, we both should have the same pings (if you are on a PC). Please propose some servers and I'll check them. Usually I run around as "Hotzenplotz".

BigHache
04-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I play through Steam, and I usually get on AngerManagement's server. My forum username is the same as my Steam username. Makes things easy.

Thomas M.
04-22-2008, 02:39 AM
So guys,

who joins me on the PC version?!

Mitja
04-22-2008, 02:55 AM
So guys,

who joins me on the PC version?!

Me, me!!! Just a detail: where are you from? I mean, I don't want to play at 2 am if you're from, let's say, USA...

Thomas M.
04-23-2008, 05:00 AM
Germany, so we would be in the same time zone. Mycurrent name is Hotzenplotz and i usually try to get onto Babylon e-sports or united noobs.

Thomas M.
04-23-2008, 05:01 AM
Any idea of how we could find the same server? I guess I can't make screenshot to show you a list of my favourite servers, but the has to be a way...

Mitja
04-23-2008, 05:23 AM
Ok, so I'll check if I can find one of these two and I'll let you know asap!

Matt
04-23-2008, 06:12 AM
I have too many FPS games to buy yet another! Does look nice though, played the demo.

Thomas M.
04-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Indeed it's nice, and addictive.... Sigh!

IMI
04-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey I just bought COD 4 through Steam today. Took about 6 hours to download and install, so I've only had it up and running for about an hour.
COD 4 is a VAST improvement over COD 2, that's for sure - very cool so far. Haven't tried the online play with it yet, as the AVG firewall seems to be having trouble with PunkBuster. Gotta figure that out...
But the missions are fast and the graphics are very good. :)

Cageman
06-06-2008, 02:15 PM
COD4 PC-player here. :)

We play it at Massive (well, the Cinematics team at least) every lunch! :)

I didn't buy COD4 through steam though, but maybe I could add you to the friends list?

EDIT: Cool... just noticed that I can add non-steam games to steam... so the only thing we need to do is to add eachother to steam (as friends)... whoever is online and playing, you can click on the name and choose join game... That should take care of fiddeling with servernames and whatnot... :)

EDIT-2: My Steam-name is: mikael_burman

Matt
06-06-2008, 03:24 PM
I've finally bought this game, it's pretty cool, single player missions are a bit linear though.

Thomas M.
06-07-2008, 04:32 AM
Yeah, there's not much variety. One goal, one way. Fell in love with the everybody-against-everybody gameplay. Pretty cool if there are about 15 players.

Matt
06-07-2008, 06:37 AM
My Steam-name is: mikael_burman

My Steam name: mattgorner

Hope to be blowing your head off soon! ;)

IMI
06-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Yeah, there's not much variety. One goal, one way. Fell in love with the everybody-against-everybody gameplay. Pretty cool if there are about 15 players.

I've gotten really into the tactical servers. I can do fairly well at tactical play. There are too many people far better than I at the "run 'n' gun" thing, and I tend to get wiped out. Well, I do go to the chaotic servers too, for practice. To practice my dying, that is. :D

But, I just think it's alot more fun to be on a team and try to function as a team. The tactical servers I frequent have alot of VoIP activity.
Since yesterday when Steam finally got the 1.6 patch, it's been really cool. The new maps are great, especially Chinatown and Creek, IMO.
Steam name: TheObliviator Yeah, I know it's dumb, but I'm a huge Oblivion fanboy. ;)
I've been playing under the name of Otto and sometimes Otto Mann. People ask me if I'm German. Nope, it's just a Simpson's reference. :D

Maybe I'll see you guys somewhere and let you blow my head off. ;)

Anybody playing World In Conflict? I just bought that the other day and am still learning it through the single player mode. Pretty cool, but not a FPS game. All strategy. Not available through Steam though.

IMI
06-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Cageman, I see you run Vista x64. You play COD4 with Vista? have you tried the COD 4 mod tool? Says it won't run in Vista, but I haven't tried it yet.

Cageman
06-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Anybody playing World In Conflict? I just bought that the other day and am still learning it through the single player mode. Pretty cool, but not a FPS game. All strategy. Not available through Steam though.

LOL...

I work at Massive... but I havn't played the multiplayer that much... Played singleplayer though to see all our ingame cinematics. Did alot of facial animation in those movies. :)

Cageman
06-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Cageman, I see you run Vista x64. You play COD4 with Vista? have you tried the COD 4 mod tool? Says it won't run in Vista, but I haven't tried it yet.

I've got a dualboot... so I'm currently using XP as my "gaming" OS... I try to keep Vista as clean as possible... :)

Cageman
06-07-2008, 08:46 AM
I've gotten really into the tactical servers. I can do fairly well at tactical play. There are too many people far better than I at the "run 'n' gun" thing, and I tend to get wiped out. Well, I do go to the chaotic servers too, for practice. To practice my dying, that is. :D

Hehe.. I'm quite sneaky myself... just left a game after taking the second spot. :thumbsup: (Free for All). It's alot of chaos... I usually end up at 4:th place... so I'm happy now! :)

IMI
06-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Hehe.. I'm quite sneaky myself... just left a game after taking the second spot. :thumbsup: (Free for All). It's alot of chaos... I usually end up at 4:th place... so I'm happy now! :)

I love playing the free-for-all servers, when there aren't too may players. IMO, 12 to 16 players in FFA is about right. But when I started playing tactical I had to give up FFA, because in tactical you have to really pay attention so as to not team-kill - it's easy to mistake uniforms except for the minor differences you might not notice at quick glance, and the tags don't always show up. FFA had me in the habit of shooting everything moving. ;)
And of course, in Tactical, they frown on team kills, since they demand the players exercise more control.

All in all I have to say I like COD 4 far better than COD 2 (the only other version I ever bought).

Would definitely be cool to have a L -'waver clan out there in COD 4 land. :)

IMI
06-07-2008, 02:10 PM
LOL...

I work at Massive... but I havn't played the multiplayer that much... Played singleplayer though to see all our ingame cinematics. Did alot of facial animation in those movies. :)

I haven't tried the multiplayer at all yet. Been too scared to attempt it until I understand it better, lol.
From what I've seen, it does have some of the nicest effects I've yet seen in a game, and it's really not pushing it, like Crysis does. Good show! :)

Thomas M.
06-08-2008, 03:59 AM
Did anybody install 1.6 on their PC yet?

IMI
06-08-2008, 05:53 AM
Did anybody install 1.6 on their PC yet?

Well, yeah, I did. I mentioned that three posts above this one. ;)
And thousands of other people as well - you can't connect to a server running 1.6 if you're still only at 1.0 or 1.5.
No issues with it at all. It adds a couple more filter options to the multiplayer game, plus a few very cool brand new maps for multiplayer.
And I think it has some bug fixes and some other console options and such. I didn't read the whole writeup on it, but if you're wondering if it's worth it and solid, it most definitely is. :)

Matt
06-17-2008, 11:52 AM
I had a play on Multiplayer for the first time with this game at the weekend, great fun! It's well balanced too, I didn't do too bad, usually I get frustrated from being shot every second by some young punk! But no, I had a respectable few runs!

:D

IMI
06-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Glad to hear you liked it, Matt!

I don't know what your preferences might be, but the tactical servers are alot more fun (IMO) than the "run 'n' gun" servers. More controlled, not so many little kiddie punks - they end up getting themselves booted.
Cageman here and I have been playing this one dedicated tactical server which has a cool map roster, and some pretty decent guys running it. If you're interested, I could PM you the IP for the server.

Matt
06-17-2008, 04:03 PM
I'd definitely be interested, plus if there is a server that a lot of wavers play on that would be cool!

Cageman
06-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Make sure you install Patch 1.6 though... the server me and IMI are playing on requiers that... and to be honest... once you get into it, you'll not want to play on other servers. :)

EDIT: Havn't played in a couple of days, and this week looks like I have to do some overtime (hopefully not)... only 1 1/2 weeks left than 5 weeks vaccation! :)

Matt
06-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Make sure you install Patch 1.6 though... the server me and IMI are playing on requiers that... and to be honest... once you get into it, you'll not want to play on other servers. :)

EDIT: Havn't played in a couple of days, and this week looks like I have to do some overtime (hopefully not)... only 1 1/2 weeks left than 5 weeks vaccation! :)

Have the 1.6 patch already installed, what's the IP address, and more importantly, where in the MP menu do you enter it?

Cageman
06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Darn!

I hope IMI can post it. I'm currently booted into Vista x64 and all my games are on my WinXP installation. I'm in the middle of tweaking dynamics and don't have time to boot to get the IP.

However, I can tell you where you enter the IP in MP menu. :)

Choose Favorites (now THIS is stupid), you choose it in the same place you choose the type of server you are looking for (Internet, LAN or... Favorites). *lol*

Once you've selected Favorites you should be able to Add Favorite and type the IP..

IMI
06-18-2008, 03:44 AM
Matt, yeah, you'd have to go to the "Join Server" page, where your "favorites" are and click on the New Favorite button. That opens a box and asks for an IP Address, where you type in the IP then click the button to add it.
What happens is the IP address is added to Favorites, and then you can see how many people are playing and join in the normal way.
I'm PM'ing you the IP after I type this.
I usually play a little after I get home in the evenings, around 5:30 or so, EDT, depending on what all I have to do.
I hope to see you there sometime. :)

IMI
06-18-2008, 03:50 AM
To add this, the server is 24/7 and gets alot of players throughout the day. Weekends, obviously, see more action there.

Thomas M.
06-18-2008, 05:07 AM
So, what's the IP address?

P.S.: Just earned my golden Mini-Uzi!!!

P.P.S.: Creek and Broadcast are great. Chinatown is so la-la and the other one sucks with too many players. Even worse than Shipment.

Matt
06-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Do you have to buy the new maps? Not sure I have those.

Added that server, will have play tonight!

Matt
06-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Ignore that last question, turns out I didn't have the 1.6 patch! Thought I had! Have now!

Thomas M.
06-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Don't let me stand in the rain, guys!

Thomas M.
06-18-2008, 01:28 PM
IMI, which server???

IMI
06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
I guess it wouldn't hurt to post it publicly. After all, it is freely available on their website, so people can connect:
[105]Tactical COD 4:

Sorry it took so long, but I haven't been online since this morning.

IMI
06-18-2008, 03:37 PM
So, what's the IP address?

P.S.: Just earned my golden Mini-Uzi!!!

P.P.S.: Creek and Broadcast are great. Chinatown is so la-la and the other one sucks with too many players. Even worse than Shipment.

I don't have any golden weapons yet. Not sure why, not doing the right challenges, I guess. I'm a commander though, score 55. I pretty much always use the P90 and an M21 with the AGOP scope.
Yeah, I love Creek and Broadcast, too. Actually, I think Broadcast is my favorite now, but I do like Chinatown, though most people don't seem to like it.

Steamthrower
06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Should I spend $120 for Leopard to dual boot a $100 OEM version of Vista to play a $40 game?

I'm kicking myself in the rear, trying to justify $260 just to play a game. Dang it, dang it, dang it!

Matt
06-18-2008, 03:51 PM
IMI, which server???

Check your PM!

zapper1998
06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
I guess it wouldn't hurt to post it publicly. After all, it is freely available on their website, so people can connect:
[105]Tactical COD 4:

Sorry it took so long, but I haven't been online since this morning.

Finally got the 1.6 update downloaded what a pain in the rear to download...

I will try to get in there to play, between getting a new place to live and work
not much time to play right now..

Cageman
06-19-2008, 09:44 AM
I guess you guys will see me on that server quite much this weekend. :) We have a holliday tomorrow (NO WORK... YEEEY :) ), and, of course, I'm not going to work on Saturday or Sunday either. ;)

My screen-name is Cageman (same as here)...

Let the killing begin... *evil laughter* ;)

Cougar12dk
06-20-2008, 04:55 PM
I'd like to get in on that action guys :)

Cougar12dk
06-20-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm downloading the 1.6 patch ATM, so I'll be good'n'ready to play tomorrow. I'm gonna hit the sack shortly, 'cos my eyelids are down to my keyboard right now, I'm so tired :)

IMI
06-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Cool. I hope to see you guys around this weekend. :)

That's if I can. My ISP, Comcast, seems to be having problems in my area, and I'm getting some outrageously bad pings and intermittent connection. I've tried several times to play over the last two days, but It's not even possible, even when I do manage to connect, because I keep getting the Connection Interrupted thingie. :(

Hopefully tomorrow it'll be better.

sammael
06-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I didn't do too bad, usually I get frustrated from being shot every second by some young punk!

I think the kill cam helps to lessen the fustration factor. At least it is made clear what has happened when you die and you can think "oh well fair enough" rather than "WTF happened? this is BS!!!"

Matt
06-20-2008, 11:59 PM
I just had a session, got mullered, too may sharp shooters online tonight! How do they aim so fast!!!

Cageman
06-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Unfortunately they don't have the kill cam enabled on that server. :/

Matt
06-21-2008, 07:39 AM
I tried that Tactical server too, just kept getting killed within seconds and had no idea where from, got frustrated with it.

IMI
06-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Well, there are some really good players there. Sounds like you were being spawn camped though, which they put a stop to when they realize it's happening. You just came in at the wrong time, is all.

I managed to get to playing again. Turns out it was something bad wrong in the recent AVG anti-virus update really screwing with my connection. Not just games, but everything.

Cageman
06-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah... usually that server is very, very good...

...on that note... I ended up toying with LW this weekend instead of playing...

How stupid is that? :) *lol*

Tomorrow is Sunday... I have to play...I have to...play...

Thomas M.
06-21-2008, 04:21 PM
This morning it worked for me, though the players used very foul language. In the evening I don't get accepted by the server due to too high pings.

I really like the sub machine guns, though for long-shots the golden desert eagle is brilliant. One hit-one kill. Sometimes I just run around with it.

Tactical hardly works with COD4. Most of the time everybody is just camping. Right now I just play free for all. To earn a golden gun there's hardly any other way than spawn-killing on a very busy free for all server. Otherwise you'll grow old. Don't forget to shoot the enemy only in the head. Otherwise it won't upgrade your weapon patterns. And you need to have all weapons on red tiger stripes before you'll get the golden gun. Actually it's the last one you'll upgrade to red which also turns golden.

IMI
06-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Thomas, was it the server I posted here? No foul language is one of their rules, though the rules sometimes fall apart if a clan member isn't online at the time.

Cageman, cool, I did some L-waving today too. Silly, yes, but entertaining. ;)
Maybe I'll run into you there tomorrow sometime and we can shoot each other. :2guns: :D

Cageman
06-21-2008, 05:29 PM
IMI, sounds like a good plan... It's in the middle of the night here in Sweden and if I can hold out some more, I'll probably sleep until you guys in the states are about to come out of bed. :) I'm truly an expert in reversing night and day during weekends. :D

IMI
06-22-2008, 02:59 AM
Well, this particular guy in the states has been up since 4:00 this morning. ;)
Nobody on any of my favorite servers yet at this hour, though. Oh well, the wife will be gone most of the day, so I won't have anybody here to control my gaming habits and make sure I don't play too much. ;)

Thomas M.
06-24-2008, 02:02 AM
Is there another server where we could meet? I don't get access in the evenings due to too high pings.