PDA

View Full Version : show demos....

archiea
07-20-2003, 07:55 PM
OK, in the spirit of recent current events of premptive invasion and attacking in our war against grinning dictators, I'm gonna launch one of my own....

Call it operation: No Corny Demos

Operation: No Corny demos, or NCP, is strategic strike against any ideas within newtek that Siggraph is the place for pizza shirt stained, ex-HAM radio operators turn "video editors" to pitch evangelistic claims of Digital Enlightment.

You remember the horror... guys ranting on how Discreet inferno's suck and how working with VT and Aura paint allows you to lie to your clients as to how long everything takes, and how that allows you to buy more Pizza and beer. Oh yeah, I want to be just like you.

Could we just put this crap to rest? Please? Its really hard on the senses. It paints an amateur feel to the whole show. Just because anybody can now do editing, doesn't mean anybody can sell it.

Look at apple....

You clearly see at least two or three markets. One is the family home video being edited in iMovie, basically the video appliance. Next is the hobbyist with Final cut express. After that is what pros use FCP. I don't see any one of them using the tactic of how everyone else sucks...

In fact, on a more philosphical level, you see alot of the apple eveangelist saying how great expensive pro tools are, and then how FCP or whatever has the same built in. So its kinda being sold to the pros who use expensive gear in a manner that says, "hey, you can do the same on this laptop, come here and try".

NT's demos reek of these self proclaimed video editors who brag of how unartistic they are (look, I can't draw and look what aura did for me) and how the VT can make anybody out there overcharge their clients for Inferno like results, which is bullsh*t BTW, I talk from experience.

NT really needs to stop acting like its the underdog of the media dev companies and stop regressing to the sales pitch that it used in the early nineties. They aren't the only desktop video company in the world anymore. Editing and graphics on a home computer is the norm now. NT should concentrate on how having so much functionality under one hood helps ANY editor, not just the "ex-HAM radio operators" that were the technology tinkerers of the '80's on Amiga and Ataris. The market now encompassas a media rich society that have 8 bit games on their cell phones and sophisticated and polished advertising on websites and TV and ipods and imovies etc. So in other words, just because NT's grass roots was the amiga technophile, that doesn;t mean the world has stood still. Now everybody is a technophile with MP3 players and CD ripping and palm pilots....

LW should be ALL tutorials and demonstrations. Don't preach, don't advertise how you can't draw a stick figure, don't show amateur looking characters dancing around because you think the user base is so kewl and you want to sell the community aspect. Just let the software sell itself. Get some people from DD or the fine folks from A51 to show the epic scale one can work in.

OK, enough soap boxing. I know you guys are gonna kick ***, just don't embarrass us in the process! ;D

"I don't have to render so that means more pizza and beer"

Remember guys this is Siggraph, not DV expo!!!!!!

Stranahan
07-20-2003, 08:36 PM
You won't see any of that, promise.

You're going to be very happy when the lineup is announced.

Have you seen our CGW ad?

nuclearchutney
07-20-2003, 08:48 PM
no haven't...

can you post it here if possible, lee? Thanks :)

Stranahan
07-20-2003, 08:49 PM
There's a thread about it in the forum...

archiea
07-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Thats great to hear, as the implant up my nose was starting to hurt.

I wish you guys the best since NT deserves it considering the past two years. I don't see why we should expect anything less. lest the software do the selling. You just have to nudge people, thats all....