PDA

View Full Version : Introductions and wonderings about your favorite tutorials

WhereMyArm
04-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Hello!

My name is Austin, I'm 21, and I'm just getting started in LightWave, so I thought I'd try to throw myself into the community so I would stay involved. I've worked with 3dsMax a little in the past with the help of a good teacher at ITT here in Minnesota, so I'm not completely new to 3D modeling or animation (more so new to animation).

But I have been having a little trouble transitioning to LightWave's unique interface, so I was going to use this introduction as an excuse to ask for recommendations on written and video tutorials. So far I've already found the tutorials on the main site, William Vaughn's collection of video tutorials on the forums, pixelandpoly.com, subdivisionmodeling.com and the Fundementals of Subpatch Modeling tutorial on lightwiki.com. I also found some stuff on 3DBuzz, but I found that the guy they bring in to do the video tutorials tends to go pretty fast and has to constantly be reminded to explain what he's doing and why, so I'm liking the others I've found alot more.

So if you guys have any suggestions for "the" intro to LW tutorial I should check out, I'd love to hear them!

P.S. I'll also be heading down to Orlando to attend DAVE School in June, and it seems like there are more than a few people here either affiliated with DAVE in some way or just based in Orlando, so I'll probably get to meet a couple of you soon!

Steamthrower
04-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Welcome, I hope you find your arm!

Pixelandpoly.com is a great resource (that's by JeffrySG here on the forums)...but of course you've already found that.

Check out this: http://members.shaw.ca/LightWavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm
This: http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/
And this: http://www.kurvstudios.com/

It looks like you've made a lot of research. All I can say is the DAVE School sounds like a good choice, as the guys posting their work here seem to get a lot of fantastic stuff done in a short time.

Good luck! You'll surely love the LW interface after hassling with those idiotic Max icons...

SplineGod
04-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I have a bit of free stuff here as well:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support

WhereMyArm
04-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks, looks like some good stuff so far!

You'll surely love the LW interface after hassling with those idiotic Max icons...

Yeah, that is one thing I liked a lot right off the bat. Buttons with words and keyboard shortcuts are much nicer than a little icon.

Hopper
04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
<delete>

Surrealist.
04-09-2008, 07:42 PM
When you get around to learning subpatches take a look at my sig. :)

Drakkheim
04-10-2008, 12:44 PM
This is all good stuff.
As another newguy I've been going through the book 'Essential Lightwave 9' and it comes with tons of really detailed video tutorials
(especially with showing how to customize the interfaces and coming to grips with how to troubleshoot a model when things er.. take a turn for the worse)
It's been invaluable to me.
(but a couple movies are broken tho and you have to download the fixed ones from the publisher) and has been a wonderful help for me.

@Richard: wow, very nice tut. Bookmarked.

Surrealist.
04-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks. Let me know if you have any questions when you get around to it.

35mm
04-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Hello & :help:

I'll jump in on this thread rather than start a new one... My copy of LW arrived from Newtek Europe yesterday, so I'm about as new as they get!

LW is very different from anything I've used before (Vue, Carrara, Cinema 4D, Z-Brush etc). So far I've been gazing at the screen, and scratching my head a lot.

What I would like to find is a complete and comprehensive introduction to LW, online/downloadable video tutorial series - for LW 9/9.3. I have found a lot of LW video tuts, but nothing that matched the above. Any recommendations??

Failing that. Is there a big difference between 9.3 and version 8.x? Is it worth buying an 8.x training vid to learn my way around 9.3?? What would you recommend there?

Thanks

SplineGod
04-12-2008, 01:41 PM
LW 9 and 8 are mostly similar. I dont think you would have much problem between the two.