PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Seuss' "Marvin K Mooney"

FarrahWelch
04-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I've been working on Dr. Seuss' "Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now" with a group of talented artists and wanted to share a few screen shots with you all before it gets released. Stay tuned for more, coming very soon at www.marvinkmooney.com (http://www.marvinkmooney.com)

The has almost come...

Etch
04-09-2008, 03:00 PM
That's pretty much beautiful, care to elaborate on how such a style was achieved?

Steamthrower
04-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Very nice. Looks almost identical to Geisel's illustrations themselves.

Hopper
04-09-2008, 03:38 PM
What? No critiques from William yet? He must be sleeping.

Drawings are excellent.

Dexter2999
04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Hmmmmm...Orlando? Perhaps Mr. Vaughn has had his fingers in this already?

Looks great.

The shader for the drawing effect looks familiar. Are you at liberty to say what was used?

SplineGod
04-09-2008, 04:27 PM
It looks like 3d objects with LWs halftone shader applied.
Is this going to be stills or moving? :)

PhantomPhish
04-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Looks great, when's the final product finished?

WilliamVaughan
04-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Love the look...Dr. Seuss would be proud IMHO!

More...More...I want to see more!

ps- I've never seen the halftone come close to this look...this looks much better...especially those shadows!:thumbsup:

Hopper
04-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Love the look...Dr. Seuss would be proud IMHO!
Ahhhhh there he is... I knew it wouldn't take long. :)

WilliamVaughan
04-09-2008, 06:24 PM
I see Seuss and I come out of hiding in no time :)

Steamthrower
04-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I see Seuss and I come out of hiding in no time :)

I'd guess you were involved, somehow...after all, being in Orlando...

jayroth
04-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Looks truly awesome. Can't wait to see it in action!

Matt
04-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Very cool look, is it the halftone shader? Do tell :)

PhantomPhish
04-10-2008, 04:26 AM
Yeah, spill the beans, is it the halftone shader? Or something homecooked?

Derek Serra
04-10-2008, 10:57 AM
It looks really good - just like the illustrations from Seuss' books. I can't wait to see the finished project.

FarrahWelch
04-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Actually, we tried the half-tone shader, but it didn't give us the control we wanted or the look we were going for. It was important to us to capture the style of Dr. Seuss' illustrations and bring them to life.

Very, very soon... Stay tuned at www.marvinkmooney.com (http://www.marvinkmooney.com).

WilliamVaughan
04-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Wow....I love the Elephant image....keep the images coming!

PhantomPhish
04-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I agree, the elephant image looks great... bring on the movie! ( It is a movie isn't it? )

LeeS
04-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Yeh I want to see if moving :-)

L

Ivan D. Young
04-11-2008, 10:02 PM
knew of this through the grapevine, but have not seen the animation yet, can't wait!

(wow LeeS 1st post alright:beerchug:)

FarrahWelch
04-12-2008, 12:41 PM
I have some very unfortunate news...

DLA Piper, the firm that represents Dr. Seuss Enterprises, L.P. (DSE), contacted us - the students that created the 3 minute animated short based on the book “Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!” and has asked for the removal of any and all content regarding this project.

Any release or use of this movie, whether or not for "profit," will be a violation of DSE's intellectual property rights. In cooperation with both DLA Piper and Seuss Enterprises will will make no use of this movie and regret to inform the community that it will never see the light of day.

Our plans were to release the non-profit movie Friday April 11, 2008. In addition to releasing the movie, we planned on releasing the source files for the entire production for the community to learn from.

As you can imagine, we are very disappointed and hope that everyone understands our position and that our hands are tied in this situation. We hope that one day this Seuss fan film can see the light of day and be seen by children and adults around the world....for free.

FarrahWelch
04-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Also, I need a moderator to please remove the attachments from my previous posts. I am not able to edit them, and we are required to remove them.

Tinpau
04-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Awww... What a shame. I suppose unless you want to spend a ton of money on lawyers or licensing... everyone loses.

Come on DL Piper and DSE.... Have a heart... Dr. Seuss would!!

Tinpau

WilliamVaughan
04-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Also, I need a moderator to please remove the attachments from my previous posts. I am not able to edit them, and we are required to remove them.

I've removed the images...boy, that hurts. Maybe you'll be able to convince someone with a heart to allow the movie to be shown:(

SplineGod
04-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Well the IP does belong to someone else. It only makes sense to ask permission first.

RebelHill
04-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Just host the thing outside the US where they cant touch u for derivative works made not for profit

SplineGod
04-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Well you know how these things just seem to work themselves out. Ill just bet that somehow DSE will come around and let it be shown because of public demand and it being so good and all...
BTW how did DSE find out about it so quickly?

archijam
04-12-2008, 03:01 PM
No private screening? No chance for a disclaimer or watermark?

I suppose if a child drew a picture of the cat in the hat they would get sued as well ...

This is absolutely horrible.

So ... where do I sign? The petition I mean.

Let's mobilize!

*angry*

Dexter2999
04-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Well, you learned alot and developed a great look. Is there anything to say that you can't write your own stories and alter the characters enough to where it is just a Seuss inspired original creation?

I know it isn't the same as breathing life into a piece of your childhood. But I think providing that the creations are altered enough and you don't construe the new original work to be a creation of Mr. Theodor Geisel that there isn't much they could do about it. They hold the rights to the images, likeness, and stories. They can't copyright the style....and let's not forget the power of PARODY.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody
I'm not saying they would be happy about it (probably some major posturing by attourneys) but legally it would be waste of time.

I just hate to see that kind of effort for naught.

FarrahWelch
04-12-2008, 05:37 PM
They found out about it because we did the right thing ahead of time and asked for permission. Funny how it was denied the day we were going to release it, even though they didn't know about the release date. We're still trying, so hopefully we'll be able to find a way... cross your fingers. We'd love to share it with everyone.

Btw, SplineGod, did you ask permission to create a Gollum spinoff you have in your Avatar? It's fan art, right? That's what we did... we created fan art and had no plans to make money off of it. In fact, we told Seuss Enterprises that they could use it for whatever they wanted. We didn't want rights or fortune, we just wanted to create something we loved and share it with the community, source files and all. Today is a sad day...

SplineGod
04-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Gollum is a character in a story that I dont believe Tolkien ever illustrated. Its imply my take on a character. I suppose if someone cared they would have contacted me long ago...who knows? I guess in this case they cared.

I think that part of the problem is that while its student work they may have decided that doing it thru the DAVE school on their equipment (if thats the case) was the problem since the DAVE school is a for profit organization. They may have decided that while the students didnt gain anything monetarily from doing the project that the school potentially could...you know how those lawyers are and those people wanting to protest the rights to their own IP.
:stumped:

Im definately for people having the right to protect their own IP. Many of us are artists and would be the first to kick up a fuss if we saw someone
using our work without consent.

WilliamVaughan
04-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Being an instructor at the school I can definitely say it wasn't a Dave school production.

Dexter2999
04-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Being an instructor at the school I can definitely say it wasn't a Dave school production.

Well, I can't imagine you being involved after hearing that the rights weren't sorted out prior. It looks more like students exhibiting the exhuberence of their new knowledge and perhaps inspired by HORTON HEARS A WHO and wanting to bring a smile to a favorite instructor (and others) pressed ahead in their enthusiasm.

I see the Intellectual Property side of it. And were Theodore Geisel alive, I could see the company being wary of the use of IP. The artist himself I think would have little problem with student doing a work with no desire for profit. He may not have looked kindly on distributing it, because it dilutes value of the property. However, he isn't alive. This is the work of a holding company and or survivors who thrive on the works of an artist past. It isn't their hard work being compromised in any way. I can't say that I have much sympathy for the rights holders. Perhaps I would have more if they were the wife and children of the creator. I think as the distance from the creator increases, my sympathy lessens. Grandchildren shouldn't just be living off grand pa's efforts. They should be blazing their own trails. Holding companies who purchase catalogs of content, I have zero sympathy for. Legally?, they are right. Morally, I find the commercialization of the art then having it broken down into a commodity to be managed by lawyers and accountants sickening.

Enough of my ramblings.

It was really nice work people. You did good. Wish I could have seen it. At least you and your friends still can.

goodrichm
04-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Farrah,

So very sorry to hear all your hard work, not to mention the wonderful gift to the world, went "puff" into thin air.

Is it possible for you to share any info on how you achieved the final look? A node tree example, if that's what you used, would be awesome!

Thanks...MG

FarrahWelch
04-13-2008, 11:12 AM
This wasn't a DAVE school production. I certainlly understand them wanting to protect their IP, and I understand their position. The reason we were denied permission, is because they sold their animation rights to a much larger broadcast company and legally giving us permission would be breech of contract. We are still trying to track down the right people. We're all very dissapointed, but we don't want to give up at the door of Seuss Enterprises. We'll make our decision about releasing details, such as how we achieved the look, once we have explored all of our options.

goodrichm
04-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks, completely understand. Hope everything turns out the way you want...MG

Steamthrower
04-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Farrah, if your animation is good enough, and from the stills that you had posted, it definitely looks like it is, then there's a chance that the broadcast company might just take up your short for distribution...it's always worth the trouble in asking.

archijam
04-14-2008, 09:17 AM
If you need community support, it's there. Really a shame if this never sees the light of day ...

What was the situation with the 'fan' Animated Starwars short? Was there a green light before production began?