PDA

View Full Version : need advide for architectural rendering

titane357
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
hello
warning : Not a new "which is the best software !!!"
I am looking for people who use another software for archviz. I'd like people who have Max or XSi and tell me what are the benefits or downsides.
I look for a solution that can help me in real huge scenes (lot of polys), easy to use buffers and material selections (for post prod), instancing but with snapping tools for accurate placing, hrez renders, use of xref,...
Thanks.
(I have trial software but I like to have advises :D)

wavk
04-10-2008, 03:35 AM
id say xsi or max when u have the money or blender for free :)

lw is not optimized for huge scenes, we have no instancing no native snapping, buffers yes but then difficulty managing large groups of materials.

ofcoz it can be done in lw but if u need some of the functions u mention its better to look elsewhere.

mlon

titane357
04-10-2008, 04:18 AM
Thanks

3D Kiwi
04-10-2008, 04:21 AM
For what your are after i would say max is your best shot, While you can do arch vis in XSI it isnt the best app for it, No real world measurements, no ies lights etc, softimage have stated that they arnt going for the arch vis market so i would doubt that it would have support for arch vis features in the future.

And there is heaps of support and traning for arch vis in max.

Would Blender be any good for arch vis work, i have heard its renderer isnt all that great????

archijam
04-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Max is great. Check the galleries. But keep in mind a few things:
- I know noone in the field that models archviz in max, they all use another cad program.
- Mental Ray looks great, yet I know noone in the field that renders in max, they all use Vray (+1000$)
- My max colleagues were dumbfounded with what I could do with HD Instance, so wavk's massive scene management comment is academic.
- Blender will be great for ArchViz very soon. The 3rd party renderers are coming along nicely, but putting it in the same bracket as LW and Max **at this moment** is bollocks. I know you can do some great stuff in Blender, but the learning curve and support are simply not there yet, as for massive scene management in blender, I'm yet to hear it mentioned, ever. That said, there is a great source of materials for archviz in blender, and other encouraging signs that it will soon be an excellent and enviable solution.

If you add HD instance and either Fprime or Kray to the existing LW package, the results speak for themselves (check out SLV's folio on lightwiki). But this thread does not seem to consider LW at all.

Why are you asking in this forum, by the way? Not the ideal place for the answer you seek ...

j.

wavk
04-10-2008, 05:05 AM
blender internal render is pretty good and you have lots of other engines to choose from.

mlon

titane357
04-10-2008, 05:36 AM
archijam, I use LW for years, I use HDinstance, Fprime,...
But I'm a bit frightened by LW future... (slooooow updates and a lot of think to do, i'm boring to wait a real instance solution, no modeling in camera view, no wieghtmap painting in layout , and the list is long for me !).
I would have some advise of LW user that use another soft and the benefit of it.

3D Kiwi
04-10-2008, 05:56 AM
I agree with you titane, LW has some very good points but at this stage you have to supplment it with another app,for me it is xsi and with point oven included with xsi it is a good workflow.

Something i forgot to mention is Vray is coming out for XSI soon, it is in beta now so you could use LW to do the bulk of your modeling so you get scales right then take it to xsi for rendering, xsi render pass and gigapolygon core are second to none, other day i had a scene with 40 million polys in it when sub patched and i was still able to use the view ports, bit slow but useable and render the scene with out a worry.

Iain
04-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Depending on your budget, max is the obvious choice for arch viz. It's really geared towards that sector and has the most support and third party access (CAD files, render engines etc).

Although it's complex, the modelling in Max is fantastic. I know a lot of people who model purely in max or a combination of Acad and max but I'd echo the VRay comment.
C4D is probably the next most obvious choice, believe it or not, as it too has good file support, modelling and render engine access (well, VRay anyway).

XSI and Maya arch viz users are few and far between but I've seen great work from both.

archijam
04-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Ok, so it's a case of different strokes for different folks :)

I couldn't really go back to max. No experience with xsi. C4D could be interesting if you can afford it, they seem to be doing interesting things with Adobe ..

j.

manholoz
04-10-2008, 08:24 AM
With an unlimited budget, I'ld go for max + Revit + vray + treestorm + etc
As I have a limited budget, I'll stick with Lightwave

colkai
04-10-2008, 08:25 AM
LW+LWCAD = sweet :)

manholoz
04-10-2008, 08:38 AM
LW+LWCAD = sweet :)

:agree:

Anyway, Lightwave's render engine is a different beast altogether now, quite capable for archviz work.

For ultimate realism, there is always Maxwell (and huge render times)

pdrake
04-10-2008, 12:40 PM
i can't believe no one mentioned formZ. it has the option to work in inches, feet, city blocks or miles. (or metric) the latest version has global illumination, final gather, ambient occlusion, and radiosity. it was pretty much made for arch vis and product developement/design. the import/export powers are pretty impressive also. it's not cheap, around $2500, but that seems to be normal.

Kelgor
04-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Funny you should mention formZ, a buddy of mine graduated from college and now works as an architectural assistant (I think that's what his official title is) and he uses formZ for everything 3D at work.