PDA

View Full Version : Updatinghmodified Images Maps in Photoshop

blabberlicious
07-20-2003, 03:37 PM
When tweaking textures maps in Photoshop for LW objects I often resave the modified TGA over the exiting map.....

...or least I'd like to ...

When I try to save over exisiting files I get an error message telling me that 'the file is already in use'

The only workaround is to close down LW (completely before Photoshop will allows me to save over the modified teture file.

or save the revised TGA with a new name - which just creates loads of reduntant texture maps and is a pain to clean up later.

Annoying to say the least...and a serious waste of time....especially when you shelled out for a Dual G4 monster with gigs of ram...

Anyone eles notice this annoying bug - or know of a fix?

I'd appriciate some help

riki
07-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Can you just alternate between two versions of the same images?? Keep saving over the one that's not loaded. No a perfect solution I know.

DaveW
07-20-2003, 05:25 PM
I think this is a bug with the tga loader. If you use png or tif then you should be able to overwrite the files without any touble.

drclare
07-20-2003, 07:20 PM
I have a similar issue when using PSDs. You can overwrite the psd with no problem, but if it is already loaded onto a texture in lightwave, lightwave doesn't update the file. So for testing texture maps, i also end up saving numerous files, textest1, texttest2, etc.

eblu
07-20-2003, 09:02 PM
try "save as a copy" from photoshop, then save over the original.

I only get the file open problem very rarely, maybe saving a copy sidesteps the bug.

paintboy
07-21-2003, 06:01 AM
i have found that if LW is launched first(before photoshop)
this does not occur , if photoshop is already running, and you launch LW, you get the "cannot save" biz ....you still have to update the images
manually through the image editor though.

Dodgy
07-21-2003, 06:13 AM
I think it's problem with PS. I get the same error with another program Perforce used for version control...

Zarathustra
07-21-2003, 08:34 AM
I can't be sure, but I guess I always open LW before PS.
I also save 2 files - the PSD for future editing and specific jpegs for mapping. I don't use targas except as final renders from LW.

I've never encountered your problem, but I have experienced something different. Naturally, LW doesn't update when you change a map in PS so you have to use the Image Editor to replace the map with the new version. SOMETIMES (usually if I have an object with multiple maps in multiple channels) when I update a map like this it then uses this map in EVERY channel. For instance:
Separate map for bump, spec and color.
I use Image Editor to replace the colormap with the newer version I just saved from PS and then BAM the Bump and Spec channel are now using the color map! VERY annoying if you have LOTS of maps and have to constantly check every channel to make sure everything is right.

Sorry if I just hijacked the topic. You could try the way I work (described at top) and see if you still have the problem.

blabberlicious
07-21-2003, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the responses .

I'm test out everyones tips on my hapless fruit bimbo!