PDA

View Full Version : Fill option for a Box

pdp editor
04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
I cant figure out for the life of me how to fill a box. I created a simple box and need to surface ALL sides. I'm using LW 9.3.1

zapper1998
04-08-2008, 08:32 PM
If I tell ya the Secret will You buy me "Donuts"????

The secret is ... .... .... .... ..... ..... ...... ....... ..... ...... .......... ...... ...

hot key [ q ],
not Shift + q,
But [ q ],
Dont hit the,
Shift + q,
got it ???

Did that answer the Question, ???

:D:D:devil:
Michael

pdp editor
04-08-2008, 08:36 PM
uh, yeah, OK thats how one would surface the geometry, problem is it has not been created yet. Need the steps right before this- no donuts yet

Silkrooster
04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
There aren't any before it. After you create your box, you have the option of giving surface names to any one side or all sides, or just use the default surface name if you do not want to name the surface.
pressing the q key with out selecting any sides will allow you to give a surface name for the entire object. Same as selecting all the polygons. As for individual polygons, just select the polgons, then press q.
These surface names will then be displayed in the surface editor (F5). In the surface editor you can change the colors, textures, transparencies, etc.
Hope this helps,
Silk

pdp editor
04-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Ok I need to be clear about what I'm asking. The question is not about surfacing it's about building a square box where all SIX sides have a different surfaces. Currently I have four sides I'm asknig HOW to add the other two, the top and bottom are not there. Currently I DO NOT have a box some Sides are missing

ttomw
04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Currently I DO NOT have a box some Sides are missing

If you are missing two sides of a box...I don't know how you arrived at this condition but you have two options: either take a few seconds and create a new box and reassign all the surfaces as you like, or if all of your corner points are in place, select the 4 points that would make one of your missing sides and hit p to make polygon. If the resulting polygon is facing inward hit f to flip it so it is facing outward. Then follow the same procedure with the other missing side.

Silkrooster
04-08-2008, 10:34 PM
I created a simple box and need to surface ALL sides.

This is why I assumed you had a box all made.
To create a box use the box tool. (ctrl-x) Draw out one side in one window say the top view for example, then add the other dimention in anther window day the back view for example. Once you have the box created, hit the enter key to drop the box tool.
Now select one side of the box using the polygonal selection tool (ctrl-h), once the side is selected hit the q key to give that side a name.

Note if you did use the box tool and are not seeing all the sides, it may be possible the box is inside out. Just press the f key to flip the sides.
Hope this helps,
Silk

zapper1998
04-09-2008, 03:00 PM
(polygon mode)

Hit the [ Shift + ' ] key, that selects all the polys

Ok here the Secret, Hit the [ i ] key,

That brings up the Information Panel, Click on the poly number of a single poly

and put a surface name and part name... for each poly

Hit the F5 key, surface editor pops up and all sides have a surface name...

Micahel

zapper1998
04-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Screen shot for yas

Dexter2999
04-09-2008, 04:29 PM
zapper...dude....easier to just go get yer own doughnuts.

Hopper
04-10-2008, 10:12 PM
zapper...dude....easier to just go get yer own doughnuts.
Dude... You're not getting it. I don't HAVE a doughnut. I have the hole. How do I make the DOUGHNUT part... :D :gotpics:

Hey .. let's try the "Who's on First" bit next ..

:foreheads

Surrealist.
04-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Ok I need to be clear about what I'm asking. The question is not about surfacing it's about building a square box where all SIX sides have a different surfaces. Currently I have four sides I'm asknig HOW to add the other two, the top and bottom are not there. Currently I DO NOT have a box some Sides are missing

So how did you create the box with 4 sides?

If you have 4 sides and they are all connected, simply slelect the 4 points on one side (That you want the polygon on) in order and hit p for make polygon. Then repeat for the other side. Sometimes just lassoing those points (RMB) will select in order.

markschum
04-11-2008, 08:38 AM
click on Statistics at the bottom and confirm you have only 4 polygons . Then in point mode select each corner of the box in a clockwise direction and hit "p" to make a polygon.

It would be faster to delete what you have and start over making a box. You could even hit "n" and make a box with roundy corners .

OOZZEE
04-11-2008, 09:11 AM

two options...

1 CREATE A NEW BOX

2 select the four points ( corners) in clockwise order and then select make poly

zapper1998
04-11-2008, 09:25 AM
zapper dude..... :D:D

:lol::lol::lol:

Dexter2999

what planet U from again I missed it..?????