PDA

View Full Version : going from 7.5 to AE cs3

thudson
04-08-2008, 06:36 PM
i have created a title in LW 7.5 where the camera flies around it on a mac and I would like to bring it into AE CS3 and still keep the camera movement, is this possible and if so how do i do it?

WShawn
04-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Hi:

I take it you want to render out an image sequence of your logo animation, bring that into AE and have an AE camera move in sync with the LW camera so you can create other elements in AE that match the 3D animation.

You can do this using a $25 suite of plugins from Al Street:

http://www.ats-3d.com/transmot/index.htm#TransMotion%20Utilities%20Pack%20-%20Download

Despite the horrible website, these plugins work fairly well for me, though I'm still using AE 6.5. I'd use POIcam for your situation. Once the plugins are installed you bake your LW camera motion, then run the POIcam plugin. I set the scale to 100. When you run the plugin it creates a virtual target that acts as the AE camera's point of interest. The plugin creates 3 text files, one for the camera's position, one for its point of interest and one for its FOV (I always try to work in square pixel comps.)

Open up the camera.aek text document, select all and copy. Then select your AE camera and paste. It will paste in a keyframe on every frame. Do the same for POI.aek. When pasting the FOV, make sure you have the AE camera's FOV parameter selected.

You're AE camera should now be in sync with your rendered 3D animation, and now you can add 3D elements in AE that will move with your rendered title.

One more caveat. The plugins default to 30fps. If your AE comp is 29.97 you need to change the frame rate in the text documents to 29.97 before copying and pasting the data.

As I said, I'm using AE 6.5. It looks like he updated and revised the process somewhat for AE 7; the website shows the procedure. I don't know if these work with AE CS3 yet.

Good luck.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

jin choung
04-09-2008, 11:17 PM
also do a search in this forum... someone made a free plugin that exports camera and reference nulls.

thudson
04-10-2008, 08:51 PM
thanks very much.
this is what i want to do. i want to create a log in LW 7.5 and be able to bring it i AE CS3 and fly around the log using AE camera either around the top and bottom or side to side and maybe some where in between. how ever i decide i want the logo to be in 3d space in AE. i'm still a newbe to LW for me it's a massive program i seem not to be grasping the basics.

jin choung
04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
you can't do that.

no 3d objects in after effects. only camera and locators. no people, no boxes, no cylinders, no logs.

you'd have to decide on your flying around IN LW.

jin

p.s. (usually, the way that 3d data is used inside of lw is something like this: you render a camera fly in into a billboard. you're doing this for tv and you have to do 30 different things that the billboard is supposed to say. you could do this in lw but it would be tedious as heck. so you export the lw camera and reference nulls so that the SIGNAGE can be done inside of after effects to be comped on top of your billboard (and city or whatever) that you rendered in lw).

thudson
04-10-2008, 10:12 PM
the light is starting to shine in the darkness of my head
thank you all -http://www.newtek.com/forums/images/smilies/brians/bowdown.gif

jin choung
04-10-2008, 10:15 PM
np

jin

jburford
04-11-2008, 07:39 AM
actually, there is a plugin I believe from ZaxWerks called Invigorator Pro which does allow 3D and 3D Objects and Scene Loading into the plugin from within AE......

Actually have a version somewhere but have not used in ages. But check out the following site.

http://www.zaxwerks.com/invigorator_pro/index.shtml

BlueApple
04-11-2008, 08:10 AM
you can't do that.

no 3d objects in after effects. only camera and locators. no people, no boxes, no cylinders, no logs.

you'd have to decide on your flying around IN LW.

As Jin stated, you do need to do your flying around in LW. However the "no 3D objects in after effects" statement is not entirely true.

After Effects supports cameras, lights (with nice soft shadows,) nulls and planes. There is some limited control over surface attributes. You cannot import 3d objects or scenes into AE. If you want to create a 3d “object”, you need to patiently create a series of planes, one-at-a-time. Building even a cube is tedious, but by nesting compositions and duplicating them you could easily put together a crude robot, series of buildings, piano keys, etc.

Why would you do this in After Effects when you could do it so much faster in Lightwave? That’s a harder question to answer.

jin choung
04-11-2008, 01:20 PM
well clearly - we were talking about getting nulls (which turn into planes/empty layers in ae) and camera into ae in 3d....

jin

p.s. oh yeah, i remember zaxwerks... been a while since i've seen it. wonder if it's good enough to be useful....

thudson
04-11-2008, 06:39 PM
My goal for LW is to create great looking titles like in the movies for my videos. Most of the training i come across barely touch creating 3D titles. I'm not an artist - the best i can do is stick figures 8) - i have seen some great looking stuff people have created , but most are to far off of what i want to do which is 3d titles to add to video. i received LW 7.5 as a bonus for getting another software and saw how light wave had greater potential , and i have been struggling with it ever since - i hear others rave about LW 9, but if i can't operate 7.5 i'm not paying $400 more for an up grade to look at me - somebody point in the right direction because i have spent to much money on training DVD that say for beginners and it ends up being to advanced for me . thanks for all the replies - I'm starting to think positive.

jin choung
04-11-2008, 06:51 PM
stop buying software right now.

you need to find out HOW YOU LEARN. evidently, the videos are not doing it. try a book.

find some way that you feel you can learn before you spend more money. don't spend another penny on software before this stuff starts "clicking" for you. before you can say to yourself, "yeah, i can do this. i get this".

this stuff is NOT rocket science. but neither is it for everybody. UNDERSTAND THAT. it may turn out it's not for you. but find out. and if it's not for you, big deal. there are other things. but don't keep throwing money away.

jin

BlueApple
04-11-2008, 07:23 PM
I should have said LightWave cannot "natively" import 3D objects; I forgot all about ZaxWerks. Honestly, I'd only ever used ZaxWerks to extrude shapes, and didn't know about its import tools.

There are some great (and free) LightWave training videos here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002.
If you're using LW 7.5 they may not all be useful to you, as some may cover topics specific to later versions of LightWave.

Good luck.

thudson
04-12-2008, 03:55 PM
thanks guys - oh believe me I'm not spending anything - if i can learn AE i can do this , just wish i can learn it faster.