PDA

View Full Version : Normal move, scale & rotate

chikega
07-20-2003, 02:06 PM
I think the header pretty much explains it but if you want to read further please feel free:

A perceived weakness, in my opinion, is the ability to affect the normals of polys. It would be nice to be able to move, rotate and scale along a polys normal. This is a feature that is found in almost every 3d app (w/ SubD's) I have come across except for...<cough>... LW. Why? Has anyone ever tried moving non-contiguous polys on either side of an object? Symmetry mode helps - but if the object is not symmetrical(bilaterally) then ... oh well.

Mark Brown, the programmer behind Motion Mixer and Key Trak attempted to solve this problem with two plugins "Normal Move" and "Normal Rotate".

http://www.spatial-design.com/plugins/index.htm

But these fall short also, because movements of the poly selection is based on the normal of the first selected poly. So, if the polys are on either side of an object (non-symmetrical), it defeats the purpose.

I requested this feature for LW6 but ... oh well ...

papou
07-20-2003, 02:14 PM
want that too, but ... oh well ...

DaveW
07-20-2003, 05:27 PM
di's powertools take care of it, along with a bunch of other things. check flay.com as usual. it would be nice if newtek added this to modeler.

Mylenium
07-20-2003, 11:21 PM
Also there is FI's MRSonBG which works based on a poly in a BG layer and in contrast to other tools is interactive. Native integration (this would simply have to be a variation of snapping) would be nice, though.

Mylenium

[hjd_uk]
07-21-2003, 05:54 AM
Yes, I would love this too. Interactive Normal Move rotate and extrude ( smooth shift sort of works but needs tweaking). Im not going to pay for a plugin that ought to be standard. Like 3DSMax's polygn move and rotate.