PDA

View Full Version : Digital Grunt

3D Kiwi
04-08-2008, 04:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPflLGEHUAI

Not for newbies :-)

ted
04-09-2008, 09:03 AM
I was up by 4am, almost at the point of a nervous breakdown to get everything done today, knowing that giving up half my sleep, AGAIN, wouldn't give me enough time....

Then I took 7 minutes to watch this and it made my day. It helped me realize that others in this biz are up against the same impossible deadlines and they also have clients that drive them insane.

I would have made some modifications to the video, but it was a great way to start my day. Thanks. Now get back to work! :D

achrystie
04-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Very funny.
Strangely enough, I went to High School with the guy that played "the client".
I saw him with the beard and hair and thought....is that him, can't be??? Even funnier, I thought, damn, he looks like I do now (beard and long hair).
Then it was confirmed in the credits. :D

Let me assure everyone that the resources and deadlines are not any different consulting on engineering/technology projects.

It makes you wonder if we'd all be better riding bareback hunting buffalo somewhere. :)

toby
04-11-2008, 04:09 PM
That's Dan Thron! He's a dude, and a great matte painter.
The standout moments are when he tells the video guy to zoom into that 1 pixel :)
And when the gofer brings in the starbucks, and a little tear falls from his eye :D

IMI
04-11-2008, 04:24 PM
That's just totally excellent!

NVentive
04-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah -- the pace does get a little nusto every now and again. We especially love it when, after umpteen revisions, the project ends up being just like it was when we first submitted it for approval.
Wouldn't it be great if we could be our own clients? I've been working on that...haven't made any progress, but I'm still working on it.....:)

Hopper
04-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Wouldn't it be great if we could be our own clients?
Oddly enough, it wouldn't make any difference. You'd do the project, tweak things, change them again, 2 or 3 redo's, then wind up with the same thing you had when you finished the first time. If it's your project, you'll like it, thus staying up all hours of the night working on it. It just won't feel like a "half to finish" situation.

toby
04-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Well at least you wouldn't have someone who knows *nothing* about graphics playing Picasso. They always want to have a say in the final look, right alongside the designers, director and vfx, despite their being CLUELESS.

ingo
04-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Aaaah, the coffee of death. Glad that i am selfemployed, so something like that can never happen to me. I always work with nice clients that respect all my wishes and let me work as long as i want on a project. And of course they all pay in time................f:::, i should stop smoking marjoram. Now back to work.

I wonder why the vfx guys in New Zealand have so much time to watch YouTube videos....

achrystie
04-12-2008, 05:50 AM
That's Dan Thron! He's a dude, and a great matte painter.
The standout moments are when he tells the video guy to zoom into that 1 pixel :)
And when the gofer brings in the starbucks, and a little tear falls from his eye :D

Aye. Dan was an impressive talent even at 12 years old. He was pumping out really good looking original stuff even when we were kids, and he's a pretty nice guy with a good sense of humor to boot. If anyone knows or sees him tell him to send me an email addisonchrystie at hotmail dot com and let me know what he's been up to for all these years.

achrystie
04-12-2008, 05:51 AM
Yeah -- the pace does get a little nusto every now and again. We especially love it when, after umpteen revisions, the project ends up being just like it was when we first submitted it for approval.
Wouldn't it be great if we could be our own clients? I've been working on that...haven't made any progress, but I'm still working on it.....:)

The problem with being my own client is....I can't afford to pay myself nearly well enough. :D

toby
04-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Aye. Dan was an impressive talent even at 12 years old. He was pumping out really good looking original stuff even when we were kids, and he's a pretty nice guy with a good sense of humor to boot. If anyone knows or sees him tell him to send me an email addisonchrystie at hotmail dot com and let me know what he's been up to for all these years.
I'll do that, when I go back to work next month -

Nicolas Jordan
04-12-2008, 02:45 PM
That's pretty funny! Even though I have never experienced that kind of pressure on a project yet I know that many in this industry do experience it regularly, especially doing effects for television and movies.