PDA

View Full Version : Double Precision???

Mike Pauza
02-22-2003, 01:07 PM
I want to do some sim coding in LScript, but I gotta have double precision or better. I tried looking in the texts but found nothing.

Anybody know how to do it?:confused:

faulknermano
02-24-2003, 12:32 AM
what do you mean by double precision exactly?

Mike Pauza
02-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Double precision is just a real number that uses "double" the digits for computation...it's much more accurate.

For expressions, you probably don't need double precision except in very rare cases, but for simulation the standard fare "single precision" isn't good enough for a wide class of problems.

Lynx3d
02-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Hm, LScript doesn't really know float or double from what i understand, it's just called "number".
What they really are is beyone my knowledge, possibly they are internally doubles...did you try?

Or, if you know C but don't want to go through the whole SDK you could try to extend your LScript using C, you can find a tutorial about that here:
http://www.clandestine.com.au/lsx.htm

Only problem is that you kill the instant platform independency with that, possibly the reason why you're using LScript after all...?

But i recently started writing "real" plugins with C, the SDK comes with lots of samples and often you don't even have to know what exactly you're doing :D

Mike Pauza
02-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks Lynx3d. That's what I was afraid of. I'll probably just stick to what I can do with LS. :)

-Mike

faulknermano
02-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Lynx3d
Hm, LScript doesn't really know float or double from what i understand, it's just called "number".

isnt double the same as float?:confused:

at any rate, lscript has two types of numbers: integers and floats. i forgot how precise floats were (they were, as far as i can remember). but they could hold pretty looong stuff.

you can bob or someone who knows the technicalities of this over at the lscript mailing list.

(i had this info somewhere... now i just cant find it)

Mike Pauza
02-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Faulknermano...thanks for the reply. Hope your right about about floats.:)

Anybody know how to get onto the lscript mailing list?

faulknermano
02-26-2003, 10:34 PM
had to deeply search for this :)

http://lists.newtek.com/mailman/listinfo/lscript

Mike Pauza
02-27-2003, 07:58 AM
Thanks man.