PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Studios People in motion

Tony3d
04-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Has anyone seen Marlin Studios clipped mapped people in motion? Can anyone make people in motion using a DV camera? How is the alpha channel made?

kfinla
04-08-2008, 03:06 PM
probably a lot of rotoscope work

Tony3d
04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
probably a lot of rotoscope work

I don't think so. It looks like the people are just walking in place. Seems that all you need in the alpha channel. What if you shot people in fron of a green screen or white for that matter. Would Quicktime be able to capture an alpha channel?

kfinla
04-08-2008, 03:34 PM
i havent looked at teh footage.. but then it sounds like the have ppl on a tredmill infront of green screen... so it would be key'd in a compositing app..

BigHache
04-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah I'm sure they green screened them. If you had a green screen or green screen paint you could pull it off. Otherwise, not really feasible to rotoscope alphas at 30 fps.

If you have a DV or miniDV CAM you could definitely create image sequences like that. You'd probably want something fairly decent like a Z1U. Not confident a handycam would be high enough quality.

Curious to see what you're thinking.

Tony3d
04-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Yeah I'm sure they green screened them. If you had a green screen or green screen paint you could pull it off. Otherwise, not really feasible to rotoscope alphas at 30 fps.

If you have a DV or miniDV CAM you could definitely create image sequences like that. You'd probably want something fairly decent like a Z1U. Not confident a handycam would be high enough quality.

Curious to see what you're thinking.

My idea is this. A book publisher I do work for has a website with content for grades 1 through 8 I think. They want me to create this indian village and do a fly through. Instead of using static 3d people, I though it would be cool to use real people dressed up in the clothing, and having them walk by the camera as it pans, and moves through the scene. They will hire actors to do this. I just ran into another issue though. The clipped map people don't mix well in my tests with SAS Lite. The clip map actually clips away the Grass on the huts. Don't think there is any way to fix that. Any ideas?

bjornkn
04-09-2008, 05:01 AM
Maybe have a look at hd_instance 2 for making the grass?
Instead of using a DV camera you might consider using a digital camera instead?
Some of them can shoot single frames at a very high fps, and at higher res than DV video.
Non-dSLR digicams can also shoot short video clips, which I believe are progressive instead of interlaced, which will save you from lots of problems de-interlacing.
I'm attaching 2 clips from video. The first is from a mov shot with a Panasonic p&s camera, and the second is from a sequence from a Canon DV video camera. Both exported from QuickTime Pro. The first one would be a much better choice for alpha/rotoscoping/green-screening IMHO, with no ugly jaggies. AFAIK DV is not a good choice for greenscreening because of its 4:1:1 sampling, as described here: http://www.neopics.com/bluescreen/

BigHache
04-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Tony, that's sounds like an interesting and fun project.

Not sure about the clip map and SAS Lite. Haven't run into that issue myself.

Tony3d
04-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Well, I think I will end up just UV mapping the huts. I wonder if the fiber factory in 9.5 will clip away?