PDA

View Full Version : how to save my rendered image?

supa noob
04-08-2008, 01:11 PM
help!
ive just rendered my 1st high quality image.
its for a course i'm on.

i selected "save RGB" as LW_TIFF32 in render globals\output and gave it a file name.
my computer then took 1 hour rendering this image (this is a screen grab)
but it didn't create a file!

so i tried saving RGB from the file tab in the render viewer
and i get this (screen grab of windows picture viewer)
apart from only being part of the image it is also lower res.

can someone tell me how to save the image as you see it in the 1st thumbnail?
is there a way of saving what i see in the render view window without rendering again.

what is "frame buffer render2image"?
i havent clicked on this yet for fear of losing my pic.

BlueApple
04-08-2008, 01:27 PM
In addition to selecting an image format, you need to check the box to the left of the text "Save RGB". When you do, a save dialog will appear and you can specify a location for your image output.

To save from the image viewer you should be able to click on "File" in the upper left, "Save RGBA" and then pick a file format. Make sure you are picking a format that is useful to you... I tend to pick the Targa Format option at the bottom of the file type list.

supa noob
04-08-2008, 01:45 PM
i did check the check box. and it didnt save.
and as i said i did save from the viewer.
i tried just now in targa format and got the problem already shown in my 2nd thumbnail; ie: the pen object is the only thing saved the rest if the image (the notepad) is gone

supa noob
04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
in that in reality the notepad image is a front projection from the camera onto a polygon just behind the pen object. what is going on here?

BlueApple
04-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Apologies, I wasn't very thorough reading the first post.

Are you using a surface baking camera or something? Is there more than one camera in your scene?

The second issue has me a bit stumped... saving from that image viewer window has always saved the displayed image for me.

Weetos
04-08-2008, 02:06 PM
what is "frame buffer render2image"?
i havent clicked on this yet for fear of losing my pic.

Render2Image basically saves your image in the image editor so you can adjust contrast/luminosity/gamma etc, or even apply image filter. Once you're done with the post process, you can double click your altered image (in the list located at the left side of the image editor) and it will open it in the image viewer, just like it did when you rendered your image.

Concerning your problem, you may consider using a 24 bit format (RGB, no alpha) and see what you get, because you may have excluded the background polygon from the alpha, this would explain why it isn't visible in the 32 bit version.

Hope that helps

David_CGC
04-08-2008, 02:09 PM
i did check the check box. and it didnt save.
and as i said i did save from the viewer.
i tried just now in targa format and got the problem already shown in my 2nd thumbnail; ie: the pen object is the only thing saved the rest if the image (the notepad) is gone

Actually, the notepad is there. It's just that since you saved it in a file format that includes the alpha map, so Windows Picture Viewer is only showing the spots where there's a rendered object. You'll either need to open it in a different program that's more flexible in how it deals with alpha maps, or start saving in formats that don't include alpha maps.

supa noob
04-08-2008, 02:19 PM
yes it was the alpha map.
i'm experimenting with different file types.
thanks !

K-Dawg
04-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Like already mentioned. You saved the Alpha in the file. Now don't think 32bit Images give you better quality cause that will not happen. 32bit only means, that you can save the Alpha embedded in the file format.

Also with the auto save thing. You set it up right, but it will not save a file if you do a F9 render. To let LW save a file after rendering for you, you should use the F10 render. But beware, F10 is made for rendering multiple frames. So if you only want 1 frame, you have to set that up in the Render Globals.

I tend to save as .png and if I need the alpha, I send it as a separate file. .png is a lossless compression. You don't lose quality but the file size is low.

But thats not a, or my, rule of thumb. It depends on what I'm working on.