04-07-2008, 07:13 AM
hi all

what are most games today written in c++ or c# and do you thing that will
continue also do you need to know any java or open Gl or just DirectX

thanks

COBRASoft
04-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Hey,

C# is fast, but not as fast as C++. DirectX is a good direction if you go for Windows. I think most games are still being developed in C++. Also, C# is usable for Windows, not for Linux or Mac (the Mono project is not finished enough).

If you intend to make Flash-like games for the internet, then perhaps you should check out SilverLight from Microsoft, it's kicking *** for the moment and it has a really nice future...

Greetings,
Sigurd

RollerJesus
04-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Usually a combination of C++ for the heavy lifting and some scripting language (Lua...) for the in-game light weight stuff.

Steamthrower
04-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Not much need to post since the above two about wrapped it up, but I think you'll find that 90% or more of all 3D games nowadays are written in C++. Scripting languages range from Lua to Javascript to...heck, anything. I like scripting with JS because I also do web design...and I also like OpenGL over DX both for portability reasons and for the fact that I think it's more lightweight and adaptable.

EDIT: Check out Unity 3D, and Torque, and also C4 Engine. You sound like you're just getting into it and those engines are pretty well received in the community. I have had direct experience with Unity, loved it, and slight experience with Torque, hated it, and I've heard amazing things about C4.

Rob79
04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
hi all

thanks

yes i'm just getting started in the programing part for game i know a little but What I know is c# mostly I'm try to get my nephews to to the programing mostly And I do the animation mostly we will see if it works

thanks acan all :thumbsup:

PS thanks for the heads up on the game engines

COBRASoft
04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Well Rob, I might have something else that's quite nice. Check out http://www.blitzbasic.com/.

A lot of Amiga users under us will remember this fabulous programming language which was known for its speed. Their new BlitzMax looks promising to me (support for Linux and Mac too)...

RollerJesus
04-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Since you mentioned C#, XNA is definately worth a look. GarageGames (makers of Troque) recently released a WYSIWYG editor for XNA as well, but I don't have any experience with that, but their Torque Game Builder (not XNA) is very nice.

scribbla
04-08-2008, 03:56 PM
yeh blitz3d is good and easy, there was a free lightwave to blitz converter for
lwo & lws by terrabit knocking about, blitzmax doesnt have 3d yet only 2d

Third Wheel
04-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi,

I am using C++ with 3Impact http://www.3impact.com/index.htm
It's a lot of game engine for the money, good for vehicles and rag dolls etc.

Cheers,
Age.