PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Camera Monitor options?

ted
04-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Are any of you guys using component, multi-monitor units ahead of TriCaster? If so, what are you using?
Since I've got a major invenstment in component cables so I don't want to use composite. Plus I'm happier with the component signal.

I'd LOVE to have a 6 way rack mount, I would LIKE a 5 way, but for budget reasons I could GET BY on a 4 way unit. :D

I guess at NAB I've got one more thing to research invest in. :)

ted
04-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I guess nobody is using Component video? :D
Anyway, in case someone wants to, or has any input input on this method, here's what I'm planning to try.

I found component splitters for about $150 each. They had some for $25, but those cut the signal in half so I'm spending the extra.
I'm planning on taking the one component split to the TriCaster and taking the green off the other split and feeding that to a composite 4 X's monitor rack.
This will at least give me B&W previews of 4 cameras and I can usually view a 5th in the preview row.

I'll be taking a closer look at NAB for options.

SBowie
04-11-2008, 05:21 AM
... taking the green off the other split and feeding that to a composite 4 X's monitor rack.Clever boy ... :thumbsup:

brians0105
04-11-2008, 08:26 AM
taking the green off the other split and feeding that to a composite 4 X's monitor rack.

That's exactly what we do. 2 component videos. Take the green signal and run it to a 4x LCD rack. We then have a B/W preview monitor. Then we take the loop out and run it into the SX-84. Therefore, we don't even need a DA or splitter.

SBowie
04-11-2008, 08:39 AM
So looping the green through the rack isn't producing any phasing issues?

brians0105
04-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Not for us. It doesn't distort anything as far as color, timing, rolling bars, etc. We get perfectly clean keys too, if that makes any difference.

SBowie
04-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks, Brian.

ted
04-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Brian, I gotta ask again for clarification. Wouldn't that additional cable on the green channel at least cause a timeing issue? I would love to hear "NO" since that would save me over $500.00 on splitters.
I guess I could get the rack monitors and order the splitters if I see an issue.
Thanks for that feedback!