PDA

View Full Version : Some CoolMuseum camera bugs.

Dave Jerrard
04-06-2008, 08:30 PM
First, I want to say that I love these cameras and use them for almost everything, especially the Fisheye Camera. For those that's don't know what I'm talking about, look here. (http://colm.jp/plug/) However, there is a couple problems I've discovered with them over the past year, which I'm finally getting around to pointing out.

First, these cameras have a problem with motion blur. If you parent the camera to an object that's moving fast, that object will blur along its path, almost as though the camera wasn't parented to it anymore. The camera seems to lose 'sync' with the object it's parented to, and that object starts to blur. Here's an example of where it really went wrong.

I place a fisheye camera in the cockpit of a plane flying at around 600mph. I've done this several times before with the Real Lens camera, but I wanted the more natural wide angle view the fisheye provides. I got this:

When I changed the camera back to a Real Lens, everything was fine again...

Also, I think I've tracked down the cause of some nasty crashes that I've run into over & over when cloning cameras. It seems to be the Cool Museum cameras again. If you clone a Cool Museum camera, then change that clone to another type of camera, you will likely crash Layout if you do anything else after that. This doesn't happen if you clone a standard NewTek camera, or the Shift Camera - so far I've only had this happen with the CoolMuseum cameras so I figure the fault is in those somewhere.

He Who Hopes These Bugs Die Rather Soon.

Wickster
04-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey Dave, haven't seen you here for a long time. :)
Anyway, I'm not sure if any of the CoolMuseum guys are on this board but you can contact some of them about these bugs through this page:
http://colm.jp/index-e.html

well at least the Curator and Assistant Designer anyway.

I also see that they have a new camera out, the distortion camera, but there aren't any docs for it yet.

JohnMarchant
04-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Would love to see 64 bit versions of these cool cameras :):)

Bog
05-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Oh, right! You're working on Dogfights. Good for you, bro - you earned it.

Frag me a 'schmidt :)

Dave Jerrard
05-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Oh, right! You're working on Dogfights. Good for you, bro - you earned it.

Frag me a 'schmidt :)

't n e m|

Ok, that text messaging crap sucks. What I meant to say was...

Not any more. I finished up on that back in Feb and got moved onto a National Geographic show about the Hubble missions. Now i just gotta figure out how to recreate the Big bang....

He Who Ain't Getting Anywhere Near Planck's Score On That.

Bog
05-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Amusingly, that's exactly what I'm animating for a fusion research agency in Europe called HiPER. I'll bung you a QT tomorrow when I've got my Extra Bits in.

It's fun offering the Primordial Atom a light.

Given the quality of your work, I imagine I'll come out the richer on any sharing.