PDA

View Full Version : Mixing 2D & 3D: A Dilemma

JohnD
07-20-2003, 09:25 AM
Hey all. Wanted to get some opinions on this topic. I'm about 4 minutes into my 15 minute animated short, and have suddenly started reading alot of posts which read how people do not care for the 2D/3D mixing. Since my flic is definitely a mixture of the two and I want it to be as well received as possible when I'm done with it, would it be in my best interested to dump the 2D portion of it and make the entire picture 3D? Just wanted to read some opinions. I have only read so far those on CGTalk. Wanted to see what some fellow Wavers thought. Later.

Stranahan
07-20-2003, 09:35 AM
I think that as an artist, you have to do what you think is best and not go by other people's opinions especially so early in the process.

Whatever you do, some people won't like it and they will let you know that, loudly. You can't let that effect your work - this is easy to say and hard to do. But it's easier to just do your thing, and prepare to deal with criticism.

Gui Lo
07-20-2003, 01:41 PM
Go with how you first conceived it to be.
Maybe your work will inspire others to mix 2d and 3d.

Beamtracer
07-20-2003, 07:17 PM
There's nothing wrong with 2D. If it's done well it can sometimes be more effective than 3D.

A lot of TV networks are getting their station I.D. logos made in 2D rather than 3D. It seems to be the fashion.

The distinction between 2D and 3D is blurring a little these days, as applications that we once thought of as 2D are gaining 3D features.

JohnD
07-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the comments. Guess I just needed to see what some of you tought about the topic.

riki
07-20-2003, 10:03 PM
2D, 3D, Video, Plastic Models, just use whatever it takes. In the end they'll judge the quality of what you've produced. It's a matter of looking out the window and not at the glass.

Psyhke
07-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Have you seen the Animatrix DVD? I think it shows that you can mix the mediums together nicely.

JohnD
07-21-2003, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I own the Animatrix and you're right. Definitely a great mix.

MrWyatt
07-22-2003, 02:19 AM
wonderfull world (http://wonderfuldays.co.kr/english/index.html)
look under the videoclip section for making of only the wmv seems to work.
They mixed 2D, 3D and miniature shots and it looks fantastic in the mixture of all. I find nothing wrong with mixing techniques. just do what ever you like. Its your film after all.
:D

Lightwolf
07-22-2003, 03:04 AM
As for mixing 2D and 3D, it could also look like this:
Ring of Fire (2000) (http://www.gambit-ringoffire.de/menu/trailer/ROF_Trailer.mpg). Old stuff, I know, but completely rendered within LW...
Cheers,
Mike

MrWyatt
07-22-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Lightwolf
As for mixing 2D and 3D, it could also look like this:
Ring of Fire (2000) (http://www.gambit-ringoffire.de/menu/trailer/ROF_Trailer.mpg). Old stuff, I know, but completely rendered within LW...
Cheers,
Mike
is this from studio filmbilder?

Lightwolf
07-22-2003, 03:29 AM
Hi MrWyatt,
Looks like we're hijacking this thread...
studio filmbilder was the co-producer, it was produced by gambit and my company, gadget, did the digital post production (we basically replaced the camera with LW and did all the compositing within LW(Here is a small making of: http://www.gadget.de/garage/tutorials/rof/rof_makingof.htm). This was LW 5.6 by the way :)

Cheers,
Mike
BTW this http://www.gambit-ringoffire.de/ is the official home page, have a look at the making of, great fun. Yes, you guessed it, I'm the Wolf :D

MrWyatt
07-22-2003, 03:33 AM
cool I just asked because I thought the style looked familliar. Do you know Thomas Meyer Hermann ? hes my Animation Professor here in Kassel. He leads Studio Filmbilder.
By the way cool stuff you did there. good to see german studios working with LW.

Lightwolf
07-22-2003, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by MrWyatt
cool I just asked because I thought the style looked familliar.
That's Andreas Hykade... http://www.hykade.de , and yes, he has a very distinctive style (and some wicked, wacked out ideas to boot).

Do you know Thomas Meyer Hermann ? hes my Animation Professor here in Kassel. He leads Studio Filmbilder.
Yes, I do. I've never really worked with them besides Ring of Fire (which is a shame). He's a bit conservative as far as CG is concerned :)

By the way cool stuff you did there. good to see german studios working with LW.
Thanks. We've been riding the wave for the past 6 years now (and what a tough ride it was, and still is :) ).

Cheers,
Mike

JohnD
07-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Hey guys,

Saw Ring of Fire a while ago. That was a great flic. Wonderful Days looks like another great one also. I don't think I'm going to change the look of my film, but just got a little nervous when a started reading all these threads with people bashing the 2D/3D mixing scenario. But I suppose everyone's got their own tastes. Thanks for the posts.

Lightwolf
07-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Thanks John.
I'm quite fond of the 2D/3D mixing as well. Especially since I know some great traditional cel animators, and you can do stuff with a pencil that is very hard, if not impossible, to achieve digitally.
I tend to think of 3D in cel animation as being similar to 3D / CG in traditional film. It doesn't replace it, but it adds.
Is there anything you can show us John? I'm nosey, howzabout a sneak?
Cheers,
Mike

JohnD
07-22-2003, 10:08 AM
I'm at work at the moment, but as soon as I get back home, I will post some stuff. I posted some months ago one of the 3D characters...was the "Rock Creature". I also have a pic in the "Characters" section of the gallery..number 86. Speaking of that, hey Chuck or whoever, when you redid the gallery, you put the wrong name under the copyright for my image....just to let you know.

Lightwolf
07-22-2003, 10:10 AM
Ah, the "Rock Creature", I remember it. That looked really neat.
*shuffles his feet* can't wait :)
Cheers,
Mike

riki
07-22-2003, 10:13 AM
Of course your already mixing 2D when you hand paint a texture, add a photograph or a matt background painting.

JohnD
07-22-2003, 11:37 AM
Well, I was talking more along the lines of a mixture of both 2D and 3D elements withing the flic, such as characters, objects ect.

riki
07-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Like I said, that's what we're doing already, so where do you draw the line.