PDA

View Full Version : Good Night Chuck

JohnMarchant
04-06-2008, 01:25 AM
Im not usually one for celebrities but i was very saddened to her of Charton Hestons passing.I can honestly say he was one of those people who always appeared in my favorite childhood movies.

I mostly liked his sci fi work, soylent green, the omega man and of course plaqnets of the apes.

You will be sorely missed in this so called celebrity obsessed culture you were a true great

rakker16mm
04-06-2008, 02:28 AM
Out of respect for the dead I will refrain from asking the obvious question.

Medi8or
04-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Out of respect for the dead I will refrain from asking the obvious question.What? If someone really did pry the gun from his cold dead fingers?

jin choung
04-06-2008, 03:22 AM
yep... that's the obvious one!

jin

rakker16mm
04-06-2008, 03:28 AM
Doh! You guys... LOL :D

meshpig
04-06-2008, 03:41 AM
Wasn't it "cold, clammy..."?

... in the name of St. Michael and St. John I give you the right to bear arms.

digefxgrp
04-06-2008, 04:01 AM
I was thinking more of..."Soylent Green is made from people".....

rakker16mm
04-06-2008, 04:03 AM
Behold his mighty hands...

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k244/Coopdawg91/Charlton-Heston---Planet-of-the-Ape.jpg

rakker16mm
04-06-2008, 04:07 AM
You can have these ten commandments when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/234379~Charlton-Heston-Posters.jpg

JBT27
04-06-2008, 04:13 AM
Im not usually one for celebrities but i was very saddened to her of Charton Hestons passing.I can honestly say he was one of those people who always appeared in my favorite childhood movies.

I mostly liked his sci fi work, soylent green, the omega man and of course plaqnets of the apes.

You will be sorely missed in this so called celebrity obsessed culture you were a true great

Certainly for his films I'll second that - I'm not quite old enough to have seen the historical epics at the cinema, but they are still memorable from the handful of TV viewings from childhood - the kind of thing that might be shown at Easter or Christmas.....and in black and white for us!

'The Ten Commandments', 'El Cid', 'The Agony and the Ecstasy', 'The War Lord', and of course 'Ben Hur' - not forgetting the SF - that's quite a legacy, and from a time when epics were truly perceived as epic.

Julian.

hrgiger
04-06-2008, 04:46 AM
Screw Charleton Heston. Screw the NRA too.

GATOR
04-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Actually, in terms of politics, he spoke out strongly against racism and was very active in the Civil Rights movement. While I consider the NRA a bunch of loonies, bottom line is that he had strong convictions and held to them. Nobody's trying to take your damn guns away. But to say we shouldn't have restrictions on guns is like saying that maybe we shouldn't have restrictions on mortars or RPGs too. Times have changed since the Constitution was penned, deal with it.

But beyond the NRA stuff, he was against the Vietnam war and marched with MLK. It wasn't till the 80s he switched from a democrat to a republican and became the poster boy for the right wing.

In terms of acting, I'd place him right up there (down there) with John Wayne. I think Ben-Hur was his best. But then that still wasn't great. Strong directing and fantastic camera work in the movies he became famous for really carried the day. Give me Cary Grant or Jimmy Stuart any day. I gringe when I think of EarthQuake.

BUT, he did what he did and he did that well. It's what people wanted. At least he served (protecting Alaska...but who knew) during WWII.

"Celebrity Obsessed?" Really. Same back then as now, just packaged different, but exactly the same. But who am I to judge, I was alive when both CHARLTON and Ronnie were Democrats. People were just as nuts over celebrity back then as they are now. Maybe, maybe, even more so.

We all have the right to scream our convictions as loud as we can. Sometimes people will simply care more if you made some movies. But they still have the right. Doesn't make the convictions stronger or weaker.

Hey, my first 'off topic post.' But I love movies as much as I love politics.

So, here's to Chuck. I'd like to think he had a life well lived. Married for 64 years. In Hollywood, that says a lot.

ted
04-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Gator, I saw much of what you said and more in his biography. He was a man of great character. Too bad some people can?t separate their politics and show such poor character themselves.
I wish his family and fans the best.

IMI
04-06-2008, 08:51 PM
No matter what his politics, it's a sad day when Charleston Heston passes on.

But, Godddam you all, you blew this thread all up! Goddam you all to Hell!

Well, at least this opens the door for Ted Nugent - I think he's been waiting for his chance. :D

Steamthrower
04-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I'll stay out of the politics side of it, but even if Heston was the oddest bird to have ever lived I wouldn't have said "screw him".

Sad to see him go. He wasn't the best actor, but he was a good guy as far as actors go...plus he drove a mean chariot and was the Omega Man...got to count for something...

IMI
04-06-2008, 09:36 PM
I'll stay out of the politics side of it, but even if Heston was the oddest bird to have ever lived I wouldn't have said "screw him".

'course you wouldn't have said something as callous as that - you're too young, too new to the workings of the 'net, too... respectful (unless the subject is mac stuff. ;) )

But as you get older you learn you can say anything on the 'net....
And when you've become so old and jaded, so unconfident, so angry, so thoughtless, so into yourself and your ideals, so sure every word you utter is pure wisdom, so completely confident that you are right at all times, you might begin to channel your anger randomly and not recognize when you're being an as...

Well, I probably ought to leave it at that. :D

geothefaust
04-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Behold his mighty hands...

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k244/Coopdawg91/Charlton-Heston---Planet-of-the-Ape.jpg

Taylor, don't go in that cave.... Nooo!!!

rakker16mm
04-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Taylor, don't go in that cave.... Nooo!!!

It's like Bay Watch with guns! :D

hrgiger
04-07-2008, 05:11 AM
Screw those damn dirty apes too.

gerry_g
04-07-2008, 06:14 AM
Accidentally bought Planet of the Apes special edition the other day (well it was only ?3 and I thought it was the Tim Burton one, didn't look too close at the wrapper, though their both crap I know) seems very prescient now, the guy always struck me as boring and oddly uncharismatic for an actor, kind of the Kevin Costner of his day.

hrgiger
04-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Hey, what are you saying about Waterworld?

munky
04-07-2008, 07:47 AM
, too... respectful (unless the subject is mac stuff. ;) :D

I know that Charlton loved his Shakespeare but even in the "Scottish Play" I don't remember a Mac Stuff! Lots of other macs, Mc's and witchypoos but no mac stuff. was his portrayal of this character that bad? :D

Paul

mattclary
04-07-2008, 08:35 AM
I love how everyone is so selective about which parts of the constitution they support. :rolleyes:

Steamthrower
04-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Either support it or don't support it.

I am a very opinionated person, and you wouldn't believe the control it takes me to stop myself from absolutely nuking people I disagree with (ya'll never thought that, huh?).

However, being opinionated, I highly respect other people who have strong opinions, even if they are completely polar opposites of mine...as long as they stand with them. Nothing is worse in my eyes than a flaky sucker who wavers under opposition...one who supports the Constitution in one regard then calls it archaic in other regards. Either go with it or not.

In my opinion the Constitution is no longer worth anything. It's been crossed so many times in the past 147 years that it's not even worth arguing with. If it was valid, however, I would see it as a great tool.

So.

Now, waiting until people scratch down 2008 - 147 = ____ and start the flame war...:D

JohnMarchant
04-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Well i celebrate the man and his work, not his politics. If you want to talk about his politics look at what he did in the 60 and 70's, civil rights protests,freedom of speech etc. He changed alot in his older yeras but as i said i dont really care about his politics.

He was not the greatest actor in the world, but looking at the crap we have nowdays he stands head and shoulders above them.

I always remember some of my favorite films as a kid all seemed to have him in it,i liked his sci fi more than the biblical stuff.

bit OT but i also discovered richard widmark died a couple of weeks ago, very sad to.

Regards, John

theo
04-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Great actor... will miss him.

mikala
04-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Go Ted!
Sad Charleton is gone. He had quite a body of work.
Unlike the rap singer wannabe actors of today. Here today forgotten tomorrow.

danielkaiser
04-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Hey, what are you saying about Waterworld?

Don't you mean Dances with Clams?

Medi8or
04-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Don't you mean Dances with Clams?There were scientologists in that movie? :confused:

(full speed off topic.. )

Bog
04-08-2008, 05:29 PM
:(

Damn dirty apes.

wp_capozzi
04-08-2008, 07:07 PM
It's People!! Soylent Green is made of People!!!

Hopper
04-08-2008, 08:18 PM
It's damn dirty apes!! Soylent Green is made of damn dirty apes!!!

I prefer...

“So that this nation may long endure, I urge you to follow in the hallowed footsteps of the great disobedience of history that freed exiles, founded religions, defeated tyrants, and yes, in the hands of an aroused rabble in arms and a few great men....”

-C.H.

Bog
04-09-2008, 02:52 AM
“So that this nation may long endure, I urge you to follow in the hallowed footsteps of the great disobedience of history that freed exiles, founded religions, defeated tyrants, and yes, in the hands of an aroused rabble in arms and a few great men....”

That's poetry, right there. I think it's more important than ever, in this modern world of ours, to find things which one can take to heart and live by. Religion's being serially discredited as an institution, governments are becoming more ludicrous by the hour, "compromise" is the word of the day and most would have us beleive that everything's relative.

A bit of red-blooded decency goes a long way under those conditions.

archijam
04-09-2008, 03:24 AM
“Mr. Clinton, sir, America didn't trust you with our health care system. America didn't trust you with gays in the military. America doesn't trust you with our 21-year-old daughters, and we sure, Lord, don't trust you with our guns.”