PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric light problem

medicalart
04-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I have a totally transparent object behind the volumetric light, but LW is rendering a gap or shadow instead of the pure light. (It's to the right of the yellow sticks in the picture.) I'm using raytracing and have turned off shadows for the transparent object. Any ideas why this gap is occuring? Thanks.

toby
04-06-2008, 01:21 AM
You sure the transparency is behind the volumetrics, not in front?
What does the alpha channel look like?

medicalart
04-06-2008, 10:41 AM
The volumetric point light is in front of the object, but the halo overlaps the transparent tube. I'm puzzled as to why raytrace transparency didn't fix this.
I won't be able to check the alpha channel until next week when I return to the project. (away for a few days...)

toby
04-08-2008, 01:43 PM
I can't recreate this, it works as expected - can you upload the scene and objects?

Surrealist.
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Do you have sprites turned on? If so try it without sprites.

medicalart
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Toby,
I've attached the scene, but as Richard suggests, sprite mode is responsible for the shadows. I'm not sure why sprite mode reveals transparent objects, but it does. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Surrealist.
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Yea Sprites are good for very simple things, but I just had a similar problem trying to use them on a more complex scene. Glad you got it sorted out.