PDA

View Full Version : enormous scene file size

marke
04-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Using 8.5 on PC I have been working on a scene for several years, a few months ago the rendering and general scene handling deteriorated to the point where I gave up, it was crashing and very slow. Looking at it all again I see that at a certain point the scene file size went from around 700k to 10Mb and then 250Mb, I am no expert but I know something is badly wrong, but I don't know how to look or where to look for the corruption ? Even now I can use the scene at 10Mb in size but I add certain small objects and when saved it is huge again like 250Mb Thanks for any help

SplineGod
04-05-2008, 02:33 PM
You probably have multiple instance of the old spreadsheet in your scene file.
Go to www.kevman3d.com and download a plugin called lean clean scene machine.

marke
04-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Great its fixed , thank you so much

SplineGod
04-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago on a job.
Luckily Kevin had just written that plugin. I couldnt even load the scene file
into a text editor to try and fix it that way. Make sure you dont use the old spreadsheet. or if you do, edit the scene file. I had thousands of instances of that spreadsheet in my scene file. :)

Dave Jerrard
04-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Another thing that can cause insane scene bloat is the built-in LightWave expressions. If you load anything from a scene that has expressions, you will also load every expression from that scene as well, even if it's not attached to anything. We've had scenes bloated to over 40 MB of expression data, and these were for objects that weren't even in any of the scenes used. In fact, the expressions were for one show, but they ended up in scenes for a completely different show (and different content directory), because somewhere along the line, a scene was created that used a setup from the other show, and than that scene was used for other scenes, and so-on.

So, use the tool that Larry pointed to for cleaning up the Scene Editor stuff and make sure that you also frequently use the Clear Unused option in the Graph Editor's Expression menu if you're using those.

He Who Has A Few Expression Bloated Scenes Kicking Around.