PDA

View Full Version : SG_CCTools

gerardstrada
04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
The brilliant Sebastian Goetsch has released the new SG_CCTools for Color Management and Linear workflows.

You can find them here:

http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/CCTools/

This is the first color management system that has been developed ever within any 3D commercial software, and is now available for Lightwave 3D.

You can see a kind of user's guide here (http://www.lightwiki.com/SG_CCTools_-_For_Color_Management_and_Linear_Workflows).

Have fun!

Gerardo

lardbros
04-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Cool, been waiting for these!

Is there going to be some nice illustrated docs to come or shall i just wait for the next issue of HDRI? :)

Many thanks to both of you... another world first for Lightwave... people need to shout about stuff like this, it makes a good impression of the lightwave community and the software as a whole!

gerardstrada
04-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Please, read the tutorial in lightwiki website that I linked in my first post.

The HDRI3D article on Issue# 19 is more oriented to CG studios and professionals that want to implement a coherent color management workflow through these advanced tools. So it's very advisable as well :)

Gerardo

lardbros
04-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Please, read the tutorial in lightwiki website that I linked in my first post.

The HDRI3D article on Issue# 19 is more oriented to CG studios and professionals that want to implement a coherent color management workflow through these advanced tools. So it's very advisable as well :)

Gerardo

God, im really sorry... i could have sworn i clicked on both links, but must have clicked the first one both times. That is exactly what i was after... PERFECT... absolutely perfect. This is incredible stuff guys!!! Thanks again for all your hard work, you must love lightwave so much to put this much time and effort in!

Castius
04-06-2008, 11:31 AM
This looks very cool!

Thanks

gerardstrada
04-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Glad it helps!

Many thanks to both of you... another world first for Lightwave... people need to shout about stuff like this, it makes a good impression of the lightwave community and the software as a whole!

You might be wondering, why we haven't seen a system like this in other big 3D package. Besides its use is a bit weird :alien: and not so evident for most of users, developer companies of main 3D packages are the same developer companies of main color grading systems (and they earn more money with these systems than with 3D softwares), so it's easy to figure out why we haven't seen something like this before in Maya or Max.

The benefits of SG_CCTools are more evident for motion picture production, but studios or CG professionals who make CG spots or VFX for TV or even CG illustrators, will be able to notice the advantages of this new system and the new way to manage their own work.

And I really hope LW users know how to appreciate Sebastian's generosity and the guessed right decision to use color profiles instead of real LUTs. Color grading systems that allow us to extend their benefits to CG work are really expensive (just some few studios can afford them), and now, any LW user has the same possibilities for free (if not better, since color profiles are more than 3DLUTs).

Just as starting point to notice in a simple way the advantages of this system: we haven't wondered at some time: why my reel doesn't look the same in TV than in my computer monitor? or why this CG illustration looks so different in paper? or for those who have had the opportunity: why our work looks so different in the cinema theater?

But this system not only help us to reduce these limitations, it facilitates A LOT the work in linear light, what provide us more realist results in an easier way. It has other benefits as well, but they are in fact more weird :D

Gerardo

Limbus
04-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Great Plugin. Thanks for sharing it for free.

Florian

RedBull
04-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Yep, Great work Sebastian, and to Gerado as well.:thumbsup:

Phil
04-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Yippee was followed by :( because there's no Mac version. Anything possible here, if we persuade community hero Mike (Lightwolf) to get in touch with you?

pixelranger
04-07-2008, 02:36 AM
This looks great.
Allthough, there is actually another software suite that is dedicated to color management and linear workflow on the market. It is exptremely nice.
Check out http://www.colorsymmetry.com/.
It focuses a bit more on color management and pipeline tools for film, though.
It is a commercial set of plugins and utilities and it is quite expensive, so unless you're running a studio that does a lot of film work its probably not aimed at you.

Releasing a package like this for free, though, is almost unheard of ;) and it could only happen withing the lw community. Wow. Thank you very much!!!!!!

Lightwolf
04-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Yippee was followed by :( because there's no Mac version. Anything possible here, if we persuade community hero Mike (Lightwolf) to get in touch with you?
The colour picker is windows dependant by the looks of it... and I'm not sure about the colour management library used either.
If it is OS dependant as well then a re-write would be quicker ;)

Cheers,
Mike

gerardstrada
04-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Yippee, let's ask to Sebastian. Btw, a 64-bits ColorPicker version is still on the way.

Pixelranger, Thanks for the info. As far as I can see, Colorsymmetry works in similar way than Cinespace or FilmLight's TrueLight. These systems can affect virtually to any app (as previewer) since their 3D LUTs work at OS level. They say they have nodes for some 3D packages (only negative films LUTs), but they not mention Lightwave in this regard.

SG_CCTools works with ANY color space (not only negative films) and they work with ICC/ICM color profiles - which are more precise than 3D LUTs. Color profiles are A LOT cheaper than 3D LUTs (many color profiles are free - if they are commercial, their cost oscillate between USD15-250 - 3D LUTS can cost between USD100-5000), so that's other good advantage.

Gerardo

Lightwolf
04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
The colour picker is windows dependant by the looks of it... and I'm not sure about the colour management library used either.
I had a look... it uses wxWidgets, which is cross platform, and so is the ICC library. Still a bit more work than a straight re-compile... I can only guess at how many hours it will take to only compile wxWidgets on my G4 ;)

Cheers,
Mike

mikala
04-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Thank you for this great bit of code!
I was going to ask about the 64 bit Color Picker but the answer is already up there! Can't wait for that. Having people supporting 64 is great news.

monovich
04-08-2008, 02:22 PM
this is spectactular. you guys have filled a huge hole in LW workflow. I've wanted this for a long time.

Thanks so much! Can't wait to test it out.

hazmat777
04-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Incredible! Thank you so much!:)

gerardstrada
04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Thank you for all your comments, guys! didn't really expect such a great response!

Btw, notice please that image systems and devices has its own color space limitations. That is to say, we can aproximate a 'look' from one image device or image system into the other, but depending on their gamuts coordinates and ranges, these representations won't be exact. This is specially certain for motion picture production (not only because of this, but for several other factors involved in the photochemical process, telecine and DI). In such a case, if you want to go mad, you might want to look for an aRGB monitor (or even better, for an x.v.Color-based display).

Notice as well that SG_CCTools is useful not only for motion picture production - almost all color management systems take only film into account for this - Consider SG_CCTools is useful also for VFX for TV, TV spots, CG illustrations, etc.

Gerardo

mikala
04-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks again.
Will you be posting the arrival of the 64 bit version of the Color Picker in this thread?

gerardstrada
04-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi Mikala,

Yes, barely Sebastian releases it, I'll post the news here :)

Cheers,

Gerardo

Sande
04-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Wow, great work Sebastian and Gerardo!
For those who want more information about linear workflow, gamma and such, this (http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/index.php/Gamma%2C_Linear_Color_Space_and_HDR) is a pretty good introduction to subject in CGI. Made for XSI-users, but I guess we can use it too... ;)

gerardstrada
04-11-2008, 04:11 AM
There's very good info there, Sande! But there's some common misconceptions too (I guess this happens when we simplified things too much). So I'd recommend to take that information with a pinch of salt. Mainly for some of these points (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=685204&postcount=68)

However, something very good is the 4-steps process about how to work in linear light. Very concise. But since the fourth step is a bit vague, I'd add a fifth phase here:

5. Transform this result according to the color space of the image system in which we'll finally see the results (cinema screen, HDTV, PAL, NTSC, web, paper, etc.). This conversion should be made taking into account our monitor color space for display purposes.

As I said in my article (Issue#18) this last step is the one that really makes the difference between a suitable system and one that is just efficient. We are able to make this within Lightwave now, with the new SG_CCTools :)

Btw, SG_CCFilter works with FPrime (for pre-processings only)

Gerardo

3DGFXStudios
04-11-2008, 04:35 AM
I really like the color picker screenpick function! THNX Gerardo

gerardstrada
04-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Glad you like it :)

Btw, Sebastian is working on the 64-bits version and some other new improvements. He said that barely he finish this, he will port SG_CCTools for MAC platform.

Gerardo

Jure
04-12-2008, 12:51 PM
I finally managed to read through all this LCS documentation and i must say Wow! Just wow! I would have never imagined we'd get this in Lightwave! I was searching for a solution for a LWF for a long time but getting this is even better.

Much appreciated Gerardo and Sebastian!

P.S. To make things easier - would it be possible to automaticaly detect color profile of an image when SG_CCFilter reads it, so you don't have to manualy select it from the list?

Jure
04-13-2008, 02:18 AM
One more question:

When I work in so called "classic linear workflow" do I need to specify linearized output profile for an image as well or can I just leave it blank? I tried both and it looked the same so I'm not sure why Gerardo recommends linearizing the profile for output...

Jure
04-13-2008, 04:20 AM
Hehe sorry guys but i got completely carried away with this color managment stuff...

One more question if you don't mind:

would it be possible to get option in SG_CCpicker to choose icc profiles as well? So I could choose my monitor profile for example for input and whatever working space i'm working in for output?

Don't get me wrong - having four (linear, log, srgb and rec709) is already way more than i would have ever imagined though! ;)

Thanks again!

gerardstrada
04-13-2008, 08:45 AM
I finally managed to read through all this LCS documentation and i must say Wow! Just wow! I would have never imagined we'd get this in Lightwave! I was searching for a solution for a LWF for a long time but getting this is even better.

Much appreciated Gerardo and Sebastian!

P.S. To make things easier - would it be possible to automaticaly detect color profile of an image when SG_CCFilter reads it, so you don't have to manualy select it from the list?

Hi Jure,

Glad you find it useful! Sebastian considered a way to this, not only for detecting color profiles but also to automate the whole workflow in images metadata. But it seems there are some SDK limitations and I don't think something like that will be available in a near future.

One more question:

When I work in so called "classic linear workflow" do I need to specify linearized output profile for an image as well or can I just leave it blank? I tried both and it looked the same so I'm not sure why Gerardo recommends linearizing the profile for output...

Please, can you specify a bit more this question?

would it be possible to get option in SG_CCpicker to choose icc profiles as well? So I could choose my monitor profile for example for input and whatever working space i'm working in for output?

Don't get me wrong - having four (linear, log, srgb and rec709) is already way more than i would have ever imagined though!

Thanks again!

Of course! Sebastian told me he will indeed implement the SG_CCFilter functionality in SG_CCPicker and SG_CCNode for a next release. But he wants to be sure this version is clear from bugs and anomalies first. So please, share your experiences here.

Gerardo

Exception
04-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks Sebastian and Gerard!
Very useful tools, I can't wait to use them in a production.

Jure
04-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Please, can you specify a bit more this question?

Yes, well I added SG_CCFilter to my image. I set the correct input profile as it's embedded in the image. I can immediately see my image turned darker so I guess the icc profile has been successfully used and is now displaying linearized image.

Now I hope I understand correctly that I need to set the Output profile to "linear version of my working space". So let's say I choose linear Pro Photo.

I then set the postprocess image filter to Linear prophoto and output to my proofing media profile.

My question is - do I absolutely need to choose a profile for my "linear workspace" or can I just work without a profile. AFAIK working without a profile should do all computations in LW's XYZ space which is just fine since it has huge gamut. If that's the case I can skip this step and the workflow will be faster.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

JeffrySG
04-13-2008, 04:03 PM
I had a look... it uses wxWidgets, which is cross platform, and so is the ICC library. Still a bit more work than a straight re-compile... I can only guess at how many hours it will take to only compile wxWidgets on my G4 ;)

Cheers,
Mike

I read about these plugins a bit in the last two issues of HDRI so it really would be cool to get them up and running on the UB Mac! I always feel like Mike is the only one we can turn to when we need our plugins converted to UB.

Lightwolf
04-14-2008, 04:07 AM
I always feel like Mike is the only one we can turn to when we need our plugins converted to UB.
So do I :D

Cheers,
Mike

Jure
04-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Made some tests and LCS workflow is working beautifuly with SG_CCTools... Finaly consistent colors accross applications!

Another SG_CCPicker suggestion:

It would be nice if it supported embedded ICC profiles in custom images you load for picking colors...

thanks,

Captain Obvious
04-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Awesome, thanks guys!

gerardstrada
04-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks Sebastian and Gerard!
Very useful tools, I can't wait to use them in a production.

Hey! Tom, I REALLY hope you find them useful. If there's some inquiries, don't hesitate to ask, and please, if you have some suggestions to improve these tools or methods, do share them here :)

Gerardo

gerardstrada
04-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Yes, well I added SG_CCFilter to my image. I set the correct input profile as it's embedded in the image. I can immediately see my image turned darker so I guess the icc profile has been successfully used and is now displaying linearized image.

Now I hope I understand correctly that I need to set the Output profile to "linear version of my working space". So let's say I choose linear Pro Photo.

I then set the postprocess image filter to Linear prophoto and output to my proofing media profile.

My question is - do I absolutely need to choose a profile for my "linear workspace" or can I just work without a profile. AFAIK working without a profile should do all computations in LW's XYZ space which is just fine since it has huge gamut. If that's the case I can skip this step and the workflow will be faster.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

hmmm... you haven't read HDRI3D articles, don't you? :) I'll explained here in a concise way, please if there's more inquiries after this explanation, don't hesitate in to ask or re-ask.

A working color space is a must. this is part of the general color management workflow that I proposed in my articles. A working color space assures 3 things:

1. Colorimetric consistency for different inputs images and output mediums
2. More exact reference displays and (not less important) preview displays
3. Working appropriately in wider gamuts that our monitor color space

Let's ask this question: If we work without a working color space as output profile in pre-process, we are not managing anything. So, what color space we should set up for previewing purposes as input profile in post-process? XYZ? Nooooooo:

If you work without a working color space, you are not working in XYZ model (even if LW process internally in XYZ), you are working in your monitor's color space, but even worst, because you are not even working properly into it. We don't notice it at first sight because is like an optical illusion (like people when thought that sun spins around the earth, when is in fact the opposite). I realized this after designing a method to work with the SG_CCTools (the screen method), after that, I had to re-design an appropriate method that works with SG_CCTools so that we can take profit of wider gamuts without being limited by our monitor's color space (a perceptual method for chromaticities with wider gamuts).

Remember as well that input colors for LW are interpreted as 'absolute' colors, when in fact, input colors are always relative to its intended 'look', this 'look' is provided by the gamut of the particular image device used for capturing an image or creating it. So we won't be able to reach colorimetric consistency as well. This means that we couldn't even preview appropriately the reference display because all colors processed have not the intended colors.

It's even better to work below our monitor color space (which is already a BIG error!) than to work without any working color space. I explain the criteria to choose a working color space in HDRI3D Issue#18 :)

Gerardo

Btw, the SG_CCTools plays well with Kray in some way?

gerardstrada
04-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by JeffrySG
I always feel like Mike is the only one we can turn to when we need our plugins converted to UB.

So do I :D

Cheers,
Mike

hehe.. Hope this version be available soon :)

Gerardo

gerardstrada
04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Awesome, thanks guys!

Thanks, please, do thank to Sebastian, he had worked (and is still working) and investing his time in to develop and improve these useful tools.

Gerardo

mikala
04-15-2008, 06:47 PM
A big thank you to all involved in this. From developer all the way down to the recompilers!

Jure
04-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Remember as well that input colors for LW are interpreted as 'absolute' colors, when in fact, input colors are always relative to its intended 'look', this 'look' is provided by the gamut of the particular image device used for capturing an image or creating it. So we won't be able to reach colorimetric consistency as well. This means that we couldn't even preview appropriately the reference display because all colors processed have not the intended colors.

It's even better to work below our monitor color space (which is already a BIG error!) than to work without any working color space. I explain the criteria to choose a working color space in HDRI3D Issue#18 :)

Right! I forgot that Picker also supports just linear, lut sRGB and rec gamuts. And indeed it's better to work in smaller gamut since our monitors are still very limited. But I was wondering if we could get even better GI colors by working in wider gamut. All that color bouncing may be outside the monitors gamut but may have an impact on overall GI quality...

Btw, the SG_CCTools plays well with Kray in some way?

Oh yes! It works perfectly. By some of my early tests the GI looks much betters, the colors the shadows everything has much better look. In fact I've been thinking about talking to Grzegorz about adding ICC profiles support for render output. Right now I just load finished Kray render back into LW image editor and add SG_CCFilter to convert it to the correct color space.

Captain Obvious
04-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Thanks, please, do thank to Sebastian, he had worked (and is still working) and investing his time in to develop and improve these useful tools.
Of course, which is why my "thanks guys" had the S at the end, to indicate plurality. ;)

Jure
04-16-2008, 06:12 AM

THANK YOU SEBASTIAN! VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

And btw. for those who didn't notice, Sebastian has paypal (http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/CCTools/)account setup on his website! Let's give the guy a bit of stimulation!

gerardstrada
04-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Right! I forgot that Picker also supports just linear, lut sRGB and rec gamuts. And indeed it's better to work in smaller gamut since our monitors are still very limited.

Oh, no, no. This is a misunderstanding. SG_CCPicker doesn't support other gamuts that our monitor's gamut. sRGB, rec. 709, etc are gamma, not gamut. And smaller gamuts (similar to our monitor's) are only viable if we are going to work for web. For all other mediums is reccomendable (and necessary) to work in wider gamuts.

Please, notice that gamut is not the same thing that gamma. It's A LOT more. And this is the main difference in the linear workflows I proposed in those articles and one of the main advantages of the SG_CCTools. In simple terms, gamma is mainly related to the contrast ratios of the images. Gamut, on the other hand, is related mainly with the chromaticities range of a color space in XYZ's coordinates (some include white point, black point and gamma in this concept as well).

So when I said I had to re-design an appropriate method that works with SG_CCTools so that we can take profit of wider gamuts without being limited by our monitor's color space, I'm referring to work with chromaticies ranges that our monitor's color space is not able to display.

Since XYZ model is not so easy to understand, let's take a look at this in a more graphic way:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/visualcomparison.png

This is a three-dimensional representation of 2 color spaces. The big one is ProPhotoRGB, the smaller is sRGB (which has a similar size of the most monitor's color spaces, but commonly different shape). Notice please that the shape (and position) is as important as size here, since a CMYK gamut can be as big as our monitor's gamut but it has a different shape and position; so our monitor's color space can't display all its chromaticities and vice versa.

As we can see in the image above, sRGB is really small. ProPhoto is one of the bigger color spaces available at this moment and its size allows it to include most of other color spaces (even those that have non-conventional shapes and positions). This difference means that wider color spaces can contain reds more redder, blues more bluer and thus. Color spaces are so flexible that we can modify them or even to create ours. Anyway, advantages of wider color spaces like ProPhoto is more notorious for example for motion picture production, but it's too big and inefficient for www work for example.

If let's say we are working for film, and our working color space within LW has a gamut's size similar to sRGB or to our monitor's color space, we really gonna see a big difference between cinema screen and what our monitor displays. So, hypothetically, if for example we are using this wood texture:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/sRGB_screen.png

which looks fine for us in our computer screen, but in a cinema teather we'd see something like this:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/PP_screen.png

ugly eh? In fact, there are some hues which are more propense to over-saturate in film (like blues), there are others that tend to desaturate a lot (like greens), but it depends of course on the negative film gamut coordinates.

So, continuing with our hypothetical example, if we work with SG_CCTools below a wider gamut, one that contains - as much as possible - our output device color space, we gonna see something this in pre-process:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/PPconv_screen.png

If we notice, what SG_CCTools has made within LW, is to take our monitor's color space as the 'absolute' color space, and it has scaled - proportionally - the 'relative' input colors according to our monitor's gamut size. In such a way we can chose perceptually, the right hues. Obviously, we use SG_CCFilter as post-process by a way of LUT to preview this according to our monitor color space in the best possible way that we are able to. So that at the end, we can really take profit, in a controllable way, of all color richness of the output device gamut.

But I was wondering if we could get even better GI colors by working in wider gamut. All that color bouncing may be outside the monitors gamut but may have an impact on overall GI quality...

As we've seen, more real colors only will be visible in an output device with wider gamut than our monitor's color space. But an efficient color managment can provide a more natural (and realistic) relationship between hues, tones and overall contrast according to the output medium that we're previewing.

Oh yes! It works perfectly. By some of my early tests the GI looks much betters, the colors the shadows everything has much better look. In fact I've been thinking about talking to Grzegorz about adding ICC profiles support for render output. Right now I just load finished Kray render back into LW image editor and add SG_CCFilter to convert it to the correct color space.

Good to hear! So as far as I understand, it works in pre-processing but not in post-processing, right?

Gerardo

gerardstrada
04-17-2008, 01:47 AM
Color spaces are so flexible that we can modify them or even to create ours.

I meant, color profiles :foreheads

Gerardo

Jure
04-17-2008, 02:26 AM
Oh, no, no. This is a misunderstanding. SG_CCPicker doesn't support other gamuts that our monitor's gamut. sRGB, rec. 709, etc are gamma, not gamut.

Oh! I thought the picker does work with gamuts also... Maybe in next version? :)

Since XYZ model is not so easy to understand, let's take a look at this in a more graphic way:

Do you by any chance know what is the problem with PerfX Gamut Viewer that it only displays a couple of icm profiles? I have loads of them but only can see 4 (this is on win x64)

I found another nice gamut viewer if anyone cares to try it. It's commercial though but quite cheap - http://www.gamutvision.com/

As we've seen, more real colors only will be visible in an output device with wider gamut than our monitor's color space. But an efficient color managment can provide a more natural (and realistic) relationship between hues, tones and overall contrast according to the output medium that we're previewing.

Exactly. Although we just might take advantage of this if we are having a good monitor and print to a high end photo printer for example.

Although I was thinking more hypothetically about colors and how when color bounces and changes it's color, even though it started out of our color space gamut, may contribute to overall colors inside our gamut... The difference might be so small that it's not worth it though but it's a fun thing to test I guess :).

Good to hear! So as far as I understand, it works in pre-processing but not in post-processing, right?

Exactly. This is because currently Post process image filters are not available to 3rd party renderers. It's not that hard to load the render back into LW and do the conversion "by hand" though.

Jure
04-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Ah one more thing:

i wanted to share with you my icc color profiles. Here's the package that includes some popular icc profiles and I have created also Linear versions of some.

Unpack it to your SG_CCTools plugin folder and edit path in colorprofiles.txt so that it points to correct folder on your disk.

AdobeRGB1998.icc
AdobeRGB1998_Linear.icc
AppleRGB-Linear.icc
AppleRGB.icc
CIERGB-Linear.icc
CIERGB.icc
Dell 2407WFP Gamma 2.icm
FujiCrystalArchive.icc
GLP.icc
GRGBP.icc
GXYZP.icc
kodak_dc.icm
ProPhoto.icm
ProPhoto_Linear.icm
sRGB Color Space Profile.icm
sRGB Color Space-Linear.icm
VideoHD.icc
VideoHD16-235.icc
VideoNTSC.icc
VideoNTSC16-235.icc
VideoPAL.icc
VideoPAL16-235.icc
WideGamutRGB-Linear.icc
WideGamutRGB.icc
DCamSceneAD20DLog.icc
DCamSceneAD20TLog.icc
DCamSceneDOriTLin.icc
DCamScenePGenTLog.icc
DCamSceneTVipFSDLog.icc
DCamSceneTVipFSTLog.icc
FilmSceneFE250DPD.icc
FilmSceneFE250PD.icc
FilmSceneFE400PD.icc
FilmSceneFE500PD.icc
FilmSceneFF125PD.icc
FilmSceneFF64DPD.icc
FilmSceneFR500DPD.icc
FilmSceneK5205PD.icc
FilmSceneK5218PD.icc
FilmSceneK5229PD.icc
FilmTheaterF3510PD.icc
FilmTheaterF3513PD.icc
FilmTheaterF3521PD.icc
FilmTheaterK2383PD.icc
FilmTheaterK2393PD.icc
FilmTheaterK2395PD.icc

Jure
04-17-2008, 02:49 AM
Here are two images you can use for your color picker...

gerardstrada
04-17-2008, 04:37 AM
Oh! I thought the picker does work with gamuts also... Maybe in next version? :)

As I comment before, Sebastian told me that is possible to implement SG_CCFilter functionality within the SG_CCPicker and SG_CCNode. However, even in this way, we can't see beyond our monitor's gamut are able to display.

Do you by any chance know what is the problem with PerfX Gamut Viewer that it only displays a couple of icm profiles? I have loads of them but only can see 4 (this is on win x64)

I found another nice gamut viewer if anyone cares to try it. It's commercial though but quite cheap - http://www.gamutvision.com/

Yes, you can't have more than 27 or 30 (don't remember well) color profiles in order to PerfX Gamut Viewer can show you all :)

Exactly. Although we just might take advantage of this if we are having a good monitor and print to a high end photo printer for example.

Not only that, we can take profit of it if for example we are seeing our output image in TV. This is advantageous for any other color space wider than our monitor's. Though an aRGB monitor can display of course richer colors :)

Although I was thinking more hypothetically about colors and how when color bounces and changes it's color, even though it started out of our color space gamut, may contribute to overall colors inside our gamut... The difference might be so small that it's not worth it though but it's a fun thing to test I guess :).

Yeah, I agree :D

Exactly. This is because currently Post process image filters are not available to 3rd party renderers. It's not that hard to load the render back into LW and do the conversion "by hand" though.

Yes, but in that way, is almost impossible to work properly/efficiently for other output mediums very different that our monitor color space.

Gerardo

gerardstrada
04-17-2008, 04:47 AM
Pm

philraimbault
04-18-2008, 04:40 AM
A great thanks to Sebastian and Gerardo for explanations!

Philippe

ana027
04-19-2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks to this plugins, Sebastian and Gerardo always work a lot. Now I need more time to test and understand good all these things.

Here is some images that you can use for screen color pickers.

gerardstrada
04-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Great color panels, Ana! Thank you. if there's any inquiry, don't hesitate to ask.

Gerardo

gerardstrada
04-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Btw people, to make things easier with the SG_CCPicker, you can go sure that almost all independent-device color spaces (Adobe RGB 1998, NTSC RGB, PAL/SECAM RGB, SMPTE-C RGB, Wide Gamut RGB, etc) have a simple gamma exponent of 2.2, except Apple RGB, ColorMatch RGB, ECI RGB and ProPhoto RGB (ROMM-RGB) which are set to 1.8.

Some other color spaces have more complex formulas (like rec 709, sRGB, or any negative film, camera negative, theater screen, papers, etc). In the user's guide from lightwiki I show how is possible to linearize a color profile with ProfileInspector. With this free tool, you can load any profile, and see its gamma info as well :)

Gerardo

JohnMarchant
04-19-2008, 10:29 PM
I will be very happy when the color picker is ported to 64bit.

Regards, John

mikala
04-19-2008, 11:30 PM
I will be very happy when the color picker is ported to 64bit.

Regards, John

I'll second that!

Bluesilver
04-22-2008, 08:44 PM
I really need a good tutorial about this plugin.
Does anybody know?

Jure
04-23-2008, 12:53 AM
I really need a good tutorial about this plugin.
Does anybody know?
You must read HDRI magazine #18 and #19. Then read how to use SG_CCtools on the wiki http://www.lightwiki.com/SG_CCTools_-_For_Color_Management_and_Linear_Workflows

gerardstrada
05-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Just to let you know Sebastian has updated the SG_CCTools:

Some bugfixes in SG_CCFilter 32/64bits, it now stores the profile filename instead of profile index in the .lws by making LW scenes portable between computers with different profile lists; this makes more viable to set up collaborative work pipelines.

Cheers,

Gerardo

adhesiveX
06-03-2008, 07:59 AM
There's now a 64bit color picker!

JohnMarchant
06-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Yeah great, thanks alot sebastian.

Regards, John

gerardstrada
06-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks Sebastian!

Please, feel free to report if everything is working ok.

Gerardo

hazmat777
06-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Thanks Sebastian! :)

3dworks
07-07-2008, 10:51 AM
is there still no OSX version of this? please...

markus

Lightwolf
07-07-2008, 02:07 PM
is there still no OSX version of this? please...

I currently don't have the time to port for at least another month... I've still got a hug backlog from freelancing in the UK.

A UB would probably be a bit easier, I'm not sure if there is a way to compile wxWidgets for the CFM (which, afaik, is only used by the colour picker).

Cheers,
Mike

3dworks
07-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I currently don't have the time to port for at least another month... I've still got a hug backlog from freelancing in the UK.

A UB would probably be a bit easier, I'm not sure if there is a way to compile wxWidgets for the CFM (which, afaik, is only used by the colour picker).

Cheers,
Mike

hey supermacmike ;) ... of course your work has prioritry!!

btw. i meant an UB version of the CC plugin, in any case...

a future support from newtek for compiling at least a selection of the essential free mac plugins would be really cool in any case, as the upcoming port to 64 bit of many important OSX plugins will probably again hold mac users back for months from using their favorite plugs (and the 64 bit version of LW UB).

markus

gerardstrada
09-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Sebastian Goetsch has improved even more the SG_CCTools by adding a very requested feature. SG_CCNode can now utilize color profiles and perform complex color conversions like SG_CCFilter! If no profile is selected, it will work like it used to (lin/log/sRGB/Rec.709). SG_CCPicker now remembers window position as well.

Usage

SG_CCNode's new feature can be useful in several contexts and it can be used in several ways. In the surface node editor, it can convert automatically colors from our screen space to our working color space. Though the perceptual method (for chromaticities, not gamma) is still much more recommendable, you may want to try and see if this new feature gets adapted to your preferences in the surface node editor. For color conversions in surface node editor by working in linear light, you'd need two versions of your working color space to perform the color correction (log & lin versions). If you want to work directly in a negative film space, you'll need a linear version of it too (a professional profile maker is desirable for this). Consider film theater profiles for projected film are preview profiles, not output profiles, and they are not convenient as working color spaces for CG work. Remenber since ICC/ICM profiles only support up to 16-bit precision, the output values are converted to 16-bit.

Other very useful usage of SG_CCNode's new feature is that it can work as part of a nodal setup in pre- or post-process within a nodal image filter. This, together with Dpont's Image Filter Node Editor, bring three new advantages for preview purposes:

1. It allows previews in real-time

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/realtime.gif

2. It allows to perform color conversions with a predetermined artistic "look" by providing us a very near idea of the final result in a very early stage of the process

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/simplefilmnodesetup.png
Simple nodal setup for a film "look" proposal

3. Artistic "looks" can be saved and recycled as presets in a non-destructive way

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/filmlookres.png

All this within Lightwave :thumbsup:

Gerardo

mikadit
09-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Great, thank you for the news!

hazmat777
09-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the update Sebastian and for the heads up Gerardo! :):thumbsup:

Red_Oddity
09-02-2008, 08:10 AM
excellent work, thanks for the plugins.

Jure
09-08-2008, 05:51 AM
Awesome! Thanks Sebastian and Gerardo!

Deadlyforce
09-07-2009, 04:24 AM
Hi,

There is something I don't understand about creating linear profiles with the Profile Inspector. I successfully created a linear adobeRGB1998 profile, following the guide, replacing 2.200000 by 1.000000 in the exported curve txt file. I assumed that for proPhotoRGB I just have to replace 1.8 by 1.0 to linearize...

However, for sRGB the exported curve gives a "count:1024" points txt file with the actual 1024 points coordinates...

The lightwiki states : "We can do this for other color spaces like ProPhotoRGB (very advisable), sRGB, HDTV, or any other color space if you know its gamma formula"...and this is where I'm lost...

What am I supposed to change in the txt of the sRGB exported curves?

gerardstrada
09-07-2009, 08:09 PM
New versions of ICC Profile Inspector describe gamma curves of some color spaces in 1024 points that goes from 0 to 65535 in integers numbers. In this case, for a linear gamma, we'd need a list of 1024 points that goes from 0 to 65535 in 64.0616 increments - averaged for each case. Something like this:

0 0
1 64
2 128
3 192
4 256
5 320
6 384
7 448
8 513
9 577
10 640

And so on. Really tedious... I've made my linear color spaces with GretagMacbeth ProfileMaker Professional, but there's also a simpler way to build a linear profile with Photoshop, too.

Go to Edit=>Color Settings and in Working Spaces (RGB), choose the color space you want to linearize from the color spaces list:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/linPS1.png

Then, in the same list (in the top of the list) select Custom RGB...

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/linPS2.png

A window will pop up with some settings to adjust for a given color space:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/linPS3.png

Change the name of the color space to something like Linear_sRGB or any other color space you have chosen and change the gamma value to 1.0 (the gamma value we see there for some color spaces are only approximations).

We have there also different white points settings and their description in xy coordinates. We have also the primaries described in some color models. They are bassicaly the same thing expresed in different spaces - I like to use CIE RGB mostly - but you'll be ok if you leave it as it is.

Then, in the same list, below Custom RGB, you'll find an option to save the color space called Save RGB:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/linPS4.png

Choose your folder for lin color spaces and save it there to use it in Lightwave with the SG_CCTools.

In case you don't have Photoshop, please, do let me know.

Gerardo

calilifestyle
09-08-2009, 12:45 AM
lol this plug-in makes me feel stupid. I cant tell what i have to download what to install and what to load where and when. lol

Deadlyforce
09-08-2009, 03:23 AM
@Gerardstrada : thanks for your help! Actually it works like a charm...:)

A few questions also:

- I was wondering if SG_CC_Node works correctly with SSS or SSS2?...Because I'm currently experimenting with it and unwanted white points appear in the surface...
(The only info I found was that the SSS, SSS2 nodes were not suited for a pixel filter environment if I'm correct)

- And if SSS2 node works with Sg_CC_Node, should I linearize the input colors or just the SSS2 color output? (which would not make sense to me since it's diffuse shading)

- If every color has to be linearized that also includes those used to tint reflections? (the answer would be yes I guess...)

gerardstrada
09-08-2009, 04:07 AM
Deadlyforce, I have no problems here with SSS nodes and SG_CCNode. Can you post a pic about the problem you mention and the way you are using this node?

Remember, for Surface Node Editor and any matte color (lights, backdrop, textured environments, etc), we have the SG_CCPicker. Just set the appropriate gamma for your working color space in the Config tab (screen = input gamma / output = output gamma). If you are working at gamma level with a simple gamma exponent, you can use a simple gamma correction for previewing (FP_Gamma). But if you are working - at gamma level - in sRGB or HDTV, you can use the SG_CCNode (in DP_NIF) for gamma-encoding accurately your output results in sRGB or Rec 709. If you are working at gamut level (taking into account chromaticities,white points, gamma, etc), you can use the advanced color space conversions of SG_CCNode (in DP_NIF) or directly in SG_CCFilter.

About linearizations for SSS shaders, ALL colors must be linearized, precisely because the output is diffuse shading and we don't have any other way to linearize these colors (not even in DP_Shader Node Editor). If you are using SG_CCPicker, this linearization is made automatically.

Regarding to tint colors in reflections, yes, those colors must be linear too. Here again, we can use SG_CCPicker for doing this automatically.

Calilifestyle, have you read the lightwiki article (http://www.lightwiki.com/SG_CCTools_-_For_Color_Management_and_Linear_Workflows) posted in the first message of this thread?

Maybe something like the linear workflow plugin for Kray would be desirable here for those users that want a simpler - but not so accurate - solution :)

Gerardo

Deadlyforce
09-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Well, I'm not sure I'm exactly following you on some points :

If you are working at gamma level with a simple gamma exponent, you can use a simple gamma correction for previewing (FP_Gamma). But if you are working - at gamma level - in sRGB or HDTV, you can use the SG_CCNode (in DP_NIF) for gamma-encoding accurately your output results in sRGB or Rec 709. If you are working at gamut level (taking into account chromaticities,white points, gamma, etc), you can use the advanced color space conversions of SG_CCNode (in DP_NIF) or directly in SG_CCFilter.

...That is the big question...Am I working at gamma level with a simple gamma exponent, in gamma level in sRGB or HDTV, or at gamut level ?? Obviously there is something I don't understand here...(By the way I've got Issue 18 of HDRI3D mag, but not issue 19 yet unfortunately so I may miss some things).
The only thing that I clearly understand for now is that images have an embedded color profile that I can easily find (and linearize accordingly).

However, here's what I did in my SSS scene:
I've got a simple plastic toy object and a ground/wall.
The ground/wall color was linearized with SG_CCPicker.
Every color was linearized the same way with SG_CCPicker for the toy: forward and backward color from SSS2 node and the color used for tinted reflections.
For every color the setting was : Screen: Log Output: Linear

In that SG_CCPicker panel when should I choose sRGB as screen more than Log for an example? (that's related to my first question above...)

But back to my scene, finally I set (as image filter) SG_CCFilter with those parameters : linear sRGB (input profile) --> sRGB (output profile) everything on "perceptual"...

I'm joining the 2 renders and my node setup : the first is in log space the second is with the linear "setup"...

PS: the white dots issue was probably the result of a bad SSS node setup. No longer a problem...

gerardstrada
09-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Your sample image is an excellent example of the advantages of working in linear light. The image worked in linear light that you show us looks notoriously more natural and realistic than the one worked in log space. Fresnel effect is probably too strong seeing that a considerable part of the light is scattered inside the surface, but you have got the main point.

About how we may know if we should work in sRGB, or HDTV, or other color space, at gamma level or at gamut level, we need to difference between gamma and gamut first.

Gamma is basically the relationship between bright areas and dark areas in an image.
Gamut on the other hand is basically the colors and hues contained in the color matrix of a given color space. It describes how red will be a red, how blue is a blue, how yellow is a yellow...

While gamma is related with brightness, gamut is related with color saturation and hue:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/gamutExpl/gammascalar.gif

Notice how gamma change but hues stay the same

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/gamutExpl/gammacolor.gif

Though greens you have chosen are contained in the 3 color spaces, we can see slight differences when gamut is taken into account:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/gamutExpl/gamutdiff.gif
These differences are very notorious in film work and some color spaces for print.

Then, working at gamma level only, or at gamma&gamut level is a matter of how accurately you need/want to work according to the color space of your output medium.

SG_CCTools really deals with color spaces. This means that we are able to perform color corrections at gamma level and gamut level, by taking into account all aspects of a color space (color matrix, white points, gamma, LUTs, etc), not only its gamma.

When we work at gamma level only, we just work over the brightness & darkness relationships of the image. In this case, colors and hues relationships of our images are modeled according to our monitor's gamut. This means that chromaticities are in correspondence with our monitor's color space and not with the final output color space we going to work with.

By knowing your output mediums, you can choose a working color space more appropriately and you could take a better decision about if you work at gamma level or at gamut level.

In both cases, one would want that the gamut of our working color space may be enough wide to cover - as much as possible - the color space of our output medium. White points and gamma aspects are only critical if we are working at gamma level only. If you going to work for several output mediums, you need to know which medium has the wider color space. A very simple reference for independent-device color spaces could be:

sRGB / Apple RGB - good for web and any image shown in a computer
HDTV / SDTV - video work / TV
Adobe RGB - suitable for print work (it also almost contains the previous color spaces)
Prophoto RGB - for motion picture production and print work

Consider some countries still use the old NTSC/PAL-SECAM systems for TV (which have wider gamuts than HDTV or SDTV). There are several other independent-device color spaces - like CIE RGB, WideGamut RGB, etc - and one can even model in-house color spaces for your own work.

Since most of the monitors are in the sRGB range, you may be save by working at gamma level only if you going to post your work on web. If you are used to manage colors in a compositing package (converting from your monitor's gamut to sRGB gamut) you'll notice some differences in blues, cyans and magentas, but nothing too notorious if you haven't used too saturated colors (as is the case of your example).

If you going to display your work in video - HDTV, SDTV (NTSC/PAL) - these differences will be more notorious by working at gamma level only, that is to say, matching only the HDTV/SDTV gamma. If you don't manage colors in a compositing package you'll lose more blues, cyans and magentas, which means these hues could get posterized in gradients (in skies and seas for example), but if you manage colors you could win more yellows, oranges and greens. If you don't manage colors, these hues could look a bit opaque.

All these color changes in the final medium depend on the hues and saturation that are present in your final images. Some lighting schemes (and color gradings) will show up more differences than others depending on the shape and size of your monitor's gamut according to HDTV/SDTV gamuts.

Now, if you work in an aRGB monitor, things are more elastic for you, since aRGB monitors are able to display sRGB, SDTV, HDTV and about 95% of Adobe RGB color space. However, I would not recommend to use your monitor color space as working color space (even if you work on your own) since monitors not have a long-term usage, they have particular behaviors and if you are sharing projects with someone, nobody - except you - will see the final image as you intended to.

For motion picture production is desirable to work always at gamut&gamma level because gamuts of negative films are really wider than most of monitors (what means some hues relationships will be clipped) and the gamma of projection film profiles are almost the double of monitors gamma.

In the image you have posted, you have worked at gamma level for sRGB color space. Colors gamut keep untouched since you are not converting them from sRGB to an output color space. In order to work in sRGB at gamut level, you could convert from linear sRGB color space -input profile- to your monitor's color space (log space) -output profile-. If let's say you want to add some textures, you could embed the sRGB color space to your textures in Photoshop, though in the case of your sample, you probably won't notice much difference if your monitor works in sRGB range, since the green hues you have chosen are contained in the sRGB space:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/gamutExpl/sRGB&screen.png
comparison between a typical monitor and sRGB color space

Gerardo

Deadlyforce
09-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Many thanks for your explanations!
I think I'm starting to understand the how and why of all that colorimetric madness :thumbsup: (I'll run some more tests in the future just to be sure that I really get it :))

jwiede
09-10-2009, 03:08 PM
A shame these still aren't available for Mac UB. Any hope we'll see them for UB in the near future?

gerardstrada
09-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Deadlyforce, good! :thumbsup: hope all is running smoothly there.

Jwiede, I remember you have discussed this topic before with Sebastian. It seems that porting this plugin to MAC is specially laborious:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=893822&postcount=38

Gerardo

kyuzo
03-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Hi everyone, I've got a couple of simple questions about installing .icc profiles.

I understand this bit of the docs...
" In order the SG_CCFilter can recognize our color profiles, we need to specify the route in a .txt file. Something like:

C:/ProgramFiles/CommonFiles/Adobe/Color/ProPhoto RGB.icm

...and so on. "

- but it doesn't say what to name the .txt file. I've just called mine Profiles.txt, and listed the locations of my profiles in it, but the filter or node isn't picking them up.

Also, it says to install the various tools in one folder, so I have a folder named SG_CCToools which contains folders called ccfilter32, ccnode32, ccpicker32 (each containing their respective plugins) as well as Profiles.txt. Is this correct?

Regards,

Derek

Deadlyforce
03-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Here's what I did,

I've got a folder called SG_CCTools which contains the three plugins (without specific folders), 2 folders called LinProfiles and LogProfiles (which contains the related icc profiles), a txt file named "colorprofiles" with the absolute path to every color profile.

And it should work...:)

kyuzo
03-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Cheers Deadlyforce,

It's working now. No doubt I'll be back on here after I've played with it a bit and worked through the tutorials...

Derek

3dWannabe
07-14-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm a bit confused about what to do with the SampleICC library? It seems more like a libary used in compiling, and I'm not sure where it should go?

Also, the SampleICC library seems to require http://www.libtiff.org/ v3.6.1 to be located inside a particular folder. I did find a page discussing v3.6.1, but it loaded an exe for 3.8.2). Is this required to use the tools?

wxWidgets in comparison seems simple as I found an install for it.

gerardstrada
07-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Hi,

We don't need to install any of those libraries. They let developers create applications, and are used internally in the apps/plugins. Libraries are free software that can be used freely, and since they are copyrighted, developers have to give the proper credits, and that's what Sebastian is doing in his website. You just need to install the plugins and fill properly the colorprofiles.txt. That's all.

Gerardo

3dWannabe
07-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi,

We don't need to install any of those libraries. They let developers create applications, and are used internally in the apps/plugins. Libraries are free software that can be used freely, and since they are copyrighted, developers have to give the proper credits, and that's what Sebastian is doing in his website. You just need to install the plugins and fill properly the colorprofiles.txt. That's all.

Gerardo
So no install other than copying the plug-ins and setting up the colorprofiles.txt. That's great, as I hate installing anything unnecessary on the box.

BTW - I noticed that the sRGB profile used by Photoshop was not an icc for some reason.

I was able to create a new profile from within Photoshop based on the log sRGB and saved it as log_sRGB.icc. I also create a lin_sRGB.icc

I copied the two profiles into a new 'Color' folder (BTW - are spaces ok in the names used in colorprofiles.txt? I used underscores to be safe.)

I used the 'Profile Inspector' from your issue #18 article, and didn't see anything inside either that would indicate they both shared the same internal name (maybe that's only if you create them using Profile Inspector?). Using the Profile Inspector, I verified one was linear and one was log.

Hopefully, when I get back later today, all this will work!

Thanks!

gerardstrada
07-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Yes, sRGB extension is not ICC but ICM (ICM is a more flexible color profile format and it's ICC compatible). Just name it .icm in the colorprofiles.txt and it should work. Better use the original log version instead of the one created by Photoshop. If you are on Win/Vista there are 2 places where you could find a sRGB profile:

://ProgramFiles(x86)/CommonFiles/Adobe/Color/Profiles/sRGB Color Space Profile.icm
or
://Windows/System32/spool/drivers/color/sRGB Color Space Profile.icm

There, you could find also a generic color profile for your monitor if you have installed its drivers.

Btw, glad to know you have linearize it successfully.

Gerardo

gerardstrada
08-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Managing HDR Colors...

Just to let you know I've written an article in the last issue# 33 of the HDRI3D magazine (http://www.hdri3d.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=170&Itemid=103) about an easy way of performing color profiles conversions on linear HDR images in full FP space with SG_CCNode and DP_IFNE.

This is handy mostly for HDR-Image Based-Lighting (like the one we can set up with the so useful smartIBL)

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGCCTools/Tripod_low.jpg

I'll add an overview about this workaround in the lightwiki documentation when the website is active again :)

Gerardo

geo_n
04-22-2014, 10:50 PM
The brilliant Sebastian Goetsch has released the new SG_CCTools for Color Management and Linear workflows.

You can find them here:

This is the first color management system that has been developed ever within any 3D commercial software, and is now available for Lightwave 3D.

You can see a kind of user's guide here (http://www.lightwiki.com/SG_CCTools_-_For_Color_Management_and_Linear_Workflows).

Have fun!

Gerardo

Is the manual still available?

erikals
04-23-2014, 07:08 AM
hm, seems to be gone, you can also find it here >

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=5&t=617417

gerardstrada
04-23-2014, 02:18 PM
I'm writing a new one based in scene-referred workflow. Easier and much better results.

Btw, have a SG_CCTools version here that works in unbounded mode. This means that if profiles have parametric gama curves, we can perform color conversions in floating point space, thus taking profit of full dynamic range in non-destructive way. This version works with a completely new color engine and we can perform also BPC and adjust the percentage of the chromatic adaptations. Still need a minor bugfix ...hope it can be available soon.

Gerardo

geo_n
04-23-2014, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the link. Forgot to print this out for future reference.
Looking forward to updated sg_cctools gerardstrada.

Julez4001
04-24-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm writing a new one based in scene-referred workflow. Easier and much better results.
Gerardo

Writing a new one...where can we find it when you are done?

gerardstrada
04-25-2014, 03:07 PM
This is a collaborative project and we still don't know where the full article will be published. But a thing we'll do is to publish a summary of the workflows and pipeline (a kind of quick manual) for free access (probably in HDRLabs and/or Bob Groothuis web site).

Gerardo